AZ gov tag produces a public land 470

5575gb

Saw the pics, what a bull.
Triple fronts, other than that its pretty darn typical!
Shed its velvet two days before it was taken.
I'll let someone else post up the pics, I have a trail cam in velvet and a trophy pic.

What a worthless post. Why make a thread and not deliver with some pics of the beast?
IMG_4627.jpg
IMG_4627.jpg

only if it wasn't matched on the other side...
"Any "extra"sets of matched "normal-looking" points below the normal G-4 points, other than the normal G-1, G-2, and G-3 points are always abnormal. The fourth point, which is commonly referred to as the sword or dagger point, is still always the normal G-4 point in such cases."

This is right out of the fourth edition B&C scoring manual.
Maybe you could find a OM that would call the shorter G3 points a G4 but it would not be me. I highly doubt that Kyle or Justin at B&C would accept that G3 as the G4.

Last edited:
"Any "extra"sets of matched "normal-looking" points below the normal G-4 points, other than the normal G-1, G-2, and G-3 points are always abnormal. The fourth point, which is commonly referred to as the sword or dagger point, is still always the normal G-4 point in such cases."

This is right out of the fourth edition B&C scoring manual.
Maybe you could find a OM that would call the shorter G3 points a G4 but it would not be me. I highly doubt that Kyle or Justin at B&C would accept that G3 as the G4.

Yep, thought, so. so I probably would have had to pass on him............
?

Heck of a bull!

JJ sold the sandwich business in October last year I believe. Cashed in and enjoying life it looks like. Congrats to him.

Great video! As expected 1000 yard shot and a NY city sized camp! You were wondering if JJ was going to make it from the mule to the carcass.

Great video....that JJ is quite an outdoorsman......

He was very gracious to the massive crew...

Last edited:
Thank you to Trent at the ROGUE OUTDOORSMAN for bringing us this video. Makes me happy to know they can still get that big out there.

I guess this is what a "Trophy Hunt" looks like these days.

Game & Fish is going to have to come up with a new name for this kind of event. Not exactly sure what you would call it?

This makes me appreciate even more the 330-340 bulls I have been fortunate enough to harvest with my bow.

Last edited:
"That bull brought $225k+ to the AZ game animals. To be honest, I am surprised the tag went for that cheap."

Well, stupid me! I guess as long as it pulls in some serious cash, anything is ok "as long as it goes to the wildlife!" Just one more sign of of the times I guess.

When I started hunting back in the 1960's, I read everything I could find about hunting. Anywhere, & everywhere. And I read about hunting in Europe, with the private estates. Hunting the US in the midwest, & California, with the private land, and permission to trespass, and trespass fees, & lotteries for blinds to hunt waterfowl etc., , , , and I thought, at least it is not that way here, in the American Mountain West, at least not yet, not in my lifetime.
Guess I was wrong about that too!

In the video, somebody noted that "this was the only way they could have got him".
Trent mentions that this bull had disappeared just before the archery season started the year before, and he was hoping they could get a crack at him before he disappeared again!
To me at least, that is part of the magic of hunting. To think that maybe, there is a cagey old monarch that got that big because he had figured out how to outwit us, and there are still places where they can go where we are not likely to follow.
I don't know?

The shooter acknowledges that he wasn't really a hunter, but he hangs out with hunters and he was genuinely grateful. Kudos to him for that at least!

I have no axe to grind with any of the folks in the video. Not the shooter. Not the guides, or the spotters, or any of them.
Congrats to the whole team!
I suppose that, if I was just now getting into hunting, and I pulled this off, I would be on cloud nine myself. But, because I have hunted, truly hunted, for so very long, I feel sad for all of them. They will probably never appreciate the deeper meaning of sportsmanship, or ethics, or the real traditions of hunting!

I hope the whole group on the video revels in their accomplishment. I truly do. And I hope the AZGF is able to use that money to create just one more chance for the rest of us to get an opportunity just to hunt.

Brought the whole dang congregation with him. Always wondered how they get those bulls back to the truck.

Whoa, take it easy.
Just stating that the conservation dollars that went into the coffers for direct use back to the game animals is huge. If one animal can bring in a quarter of a million to go to tanks, habitat, research, etc., you have to appreciate that money.

I would not (or could not) ever hunt that way either. I am a DIYer myself, and have never considered a guide. But, I will also never be able to do as much good for the game animals as JJ just did.

Put me down for some doug burris. That fool could make drying paint interesting!! Governors tag bulls are fn big bro! That pic actually looks like unit 22 on the late late rifle hunt

This video is sad and is not a reflection of fair chase by any stretch of the phrase. To put a $250,000 bounty on a deserving human is one thing but not one of these guys.

That being said, Kudus to JJ for being a hell of a shot. This obviously wasnt his first rodeo.

Awesome Bull completely WORTHLESS HUNT that guy never in a million years would have found or killed that bull by himself !! I watched Rogue's video the guy had to have help getting off that mule & walking sticks to get from the mule to the bull !! Then sat on the log & watched out of breathe, glad he has the $$ to dump & I am sure the AZ F&G will put that $$ to good use. 15 guys watching that bull so a guy that probably had never stepped foot in the unit or AZ could shoot it,yeah Super Hunt way to go !! I would have rather seen one of those other guys harvest that bull or the other. I am sure they had days & days of sweat & ball busting hikes looking for that bull ..

I guess I look at it much differently. Definitely not the way I hunt, but I won’t bash a person that is truly doing what he loves to do; hunt. He obviously knows his physical limitations but fortunately, for him, has the finances to overcome them. God bless him for that! He’s a hunter and not an anti-hunter......wake up boys.

I guess I look at it much differently. Definitely not the way I hunt, but I won’t bash a person that is truly doing what he loves to do; hunt. He obviously knows his physical limitations but fortunately, for him, has the finances to overcome them. God bless him for that! He’s a hunter and not an anti-hunter......wake up boys.
Hello BOHNTER,
I am having a hard time understanding your point.
You said "wake up boys". Wake up to what? I am interested to hear what you mean by that?

Elkchaser

I don't begrudge the dude for doing his thing, and for sure as a hunter I'm glad he's part of the fellowship.

My beef is with the spectacle. Admittedly most of this media won't be seen by non-hunters, but it doesn't exactly put us in the best light.

I believe we have an obligation to portray our sport in a positive light. It's one of the few games where you are the only one to call a foul on yourself. Like it or not, we're all judged by what people see.

So we should police our own ranks, and a debate about standards of behavior is completely justified.

Now I'm not saying the hunter and crew were over the line, but do we really need to see all this? Or do we really need to see more of this so we can decide if the spectacle helps or hurts?

And while we are on the subject, my thinking is evolving rapidly away from these mega $$$$$$ tags. Why should some rich guy have a better shot at that elk than any of you? Price the tags as required to fund the management agencies and quit letting people buy their way to the front of the line.

Nomex on.

I don't begrudge the dude for doing his thing, and for sure as a hunter I'm glad he's part of the fellowship.

My beef is with the spectacle. Admittedly most of this media won't be seen by non-hunters, but it doesn't exactly put us in the best light.

I believe we have an obligation to portray our sport in a positive light. It's one of the few games where you are the only one to call a foul on yourself. Like it or not, we're all judged by what people see.

So we should police our own ranks, and a debate about standards of behavior is completely justified.

Now I'm not saying the hunter and crew were over the line, but do we really need to see all this? Or do we really need to see more of this so we can decide if the spectacle helps or hurts?

And while we are on the subject, my thinking is evolving rapidly away from these mega $$$$$$ tags. Why should some rich guy have a better shot at that elk than any of you? Price the tags as required to fund the management agencies and quit letting people buy their way to the front of the line.

Nomex on.
I agree with your post, with one exception. There's one elk tag in Arizona that gets raffled, one that goes to the highest bidder. Only two tags in the state that are "for sale", that fund AzGFD. The rest of the tags are in the drawing. AzGFD doesn't get any money from the state, wholly funded by license sales, including this tag. Let someone with big$$$buy one tag doesn't bother me. Just my 2 cents.

Nomex on.
Thank you Bluehair! I agree with every point you have just made. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Elkchaser

I remember reading in a newspaper that Karl Malone would pay $100k to hunt AI deer. A few years later it becomes a thing. Then $fw gets 200 tags, then few years later its over 500 "conservation tags"

I hate these tags. Not because a gov/sportsman tag goes out. But because they start to blur the lines. "If one is ok, is 2 really going to hurt"? Next thing you know its $fw, or landowner, or outfitter, or whoever.

Obviously this dude would have never found this bull. Nor would any other dude who hires a guide so that's a stupid criticism.

He seems pretty grateful to be around hunters, and extremely humble with his "im not a hunter"... How many of the guys who buy these tags portray themselves as Daniel Boone. Good to see a rich dude with a little ego.

I dont mind the "posse" nearly as much as LR hunting

That's one hell of a bull. I'm glad he was able to spend so much money to help wildlife conservation and improvements.

There are a lot of hunters like JJ. They have tons of money, love to hunt, but don't really know how to hunt. I'm just glad they aren't anti hunters. We need all the help we can get.

Regarding auction tags here in Arizona, I’m not totally against them.....just wish the buyer was only allowed to hunt during any regulated season with the appropriate weapon. (Example: muzzleloader only in muzzy season). Not 365 days a year with a LR shoot stick. Of course, then the tag probably wouldn’t bring in the amount of money they currently do. ?.

Regarding auction tags here in Arizona, I’m not totally against them.....just wish the buyer was only allowed to hunt during any regulated season with the appropriate weapon. (Example: muzzleloader only in muzzy season). Not 365 days a year with a LR shoot stick. Of course, then the tag probably wouldn’t bring in the amount of money they currently do. ?.
Hello again BOHNTR, I knew it! We are on the same page. I think we all can agree that the AZGF can use all the money it can get, , , , as long as the funds go to the GF!
I agree with Bluehair, , , , ,I would happily pay a little more for an elk, deer, sheep, etc. tag and/or the processing fee, to make up for the funds this tag brought to the department. When you look at the number of applicants for these premium tags, I think a slight increase in the cost, spread over all those applicants, would more than offset the amount this tag brought in.

Elkchaser

Hello again BOHNTR, I knew it! We are on the same page. I think we all can agree that the AZGF can use all the money it can get, , , , as long as the funds go to the GF!
I agree with Bluehair, , , , ,I would happily pay a little more for an elk, deer, sheep, etc. tag and/or the processing fee, to make up for the funds this tag brought to the department. When you look at the number of applicants for these premium tags, I think a slight increase in the cost, spread over all those applicants, would more than offset the amount this tag brought in.

Elkchaser

I guess I’m a ‘hate the game and not the player‘ on this issue. Ha ?

Good point on the auction/raffle tags. Honestly I'm torn by the mega bucks tags. I know the animals need the money, but there seems to be so much more unsavory stuff associated with it.
THIS!!!!!!!!! I would think this is an understatement...unsavory stuff

I wont mention any names and im not even an az resident but i won a goulds turkey hunt with a WELL KNOWN az outfitter. I was excited to win a raffle for once in my life and complete my royal slam. The money benefited a very good cause but i ended up not even going on the hunt after the phone conservation that i had with the outfitter because of the unsavory tone of the conversation. I felt like i needed a shower to say the least. I understand that guiding and a governors tag are different subjects but they tend to swim in the little pond...at least in my admittedly small sample size.

I met JJ some 20 + years ago(on a plane) we were both going hunting, but with different outfitters. He was a big guy, talked about business( I"d never heard of JJ"s) how he had spent his whole after school life working 7 days -15 hrs days. This was his one trip for the year, how he loved hunting. Now I hear he has his own jet, travels the world hunting, spreading his money around. We do not live forever as you get older it really sinks in. If I had his money I would do the exact same......buy the best, hire the best and donate a crap-ton to the sport and wildlife I love.

I know a guy just like JJ. Wont say his name. Buthe is a great dude also. Kills some gigantic ****. People hate on him. But jealousy does tht. If you got tons of money and luv to hunt.....what would you do????

Wouldn't JJ be happier actually hunting a 350 bull on a private ranch somewhere 1v1 with a guide in the rut when they are bugling versus this bs sort of hunt at 1000 yards in the summer? He understands he didn't do anything to warrant shooting a bull of this caliber, why even do it then if it doesn't really mean anything? Just donate 200K to wildlife and go on a real hunt. Maybe I am the one messed up here, but I think if I had that type of money, I would do something different. 22 people on a hunt for one of the biggest bulls in the world just doesn't sit well with me. And for those who think a hunter in there might not find him because the bull dissapears, I say BS, they just didn't find him the past couple years, but there is a chance they could have found him this year somewhere, it is not a needle in a haystack situation as there are 700 bull tags in that unit.

My favorite part was when the guide told him not to shoot it again as it was suffering because he might hit the antler. All about the money!

Rut
Yeah, the end of that shooting sequence was a bit cringe worthy. A magnificent bull suffering and crawling to its last breath and those guys in the background cheering and high fiving. I know that’s what we do...kill animals, but the optics with the background cheering was too much for this DIY hunter.

$$$ spent on conservation no laws broken, it is amazing how we have such a rift between us as hunters, it is no wonder things don’t get accomplished. This type of thing is not for me but I will not ridicule someone who does it and doesn’t break any laws. Thanks JJ for putting money ? into something we all believe in. Conservation!
We need to learn to band together as a community so we are a strong voice.

You forgot DRONES!!!

it’s gonna get bad! Enjoy hunting as you knew it while it lasts cuz it ain’t ever gonna be the same again!
Had one hover us last year while we broke a bull down we were going to shoot it then thought it may be the F&G.. since they had a lot of presence in the area at the time.It was unnerving it was above us 15-20 minuets

Had one hover us last year while we broke a bull down we were going to shoot it then thought it may be the F&G.. since they had a lot of presence in the area at the time.It was unnerving it was above us 15-20 minuets
That’s messed up!
I’d have a hard time resisting if I saw one in my hunting area!
May need to start packing a shotgun as well just to drop a few drones!

That’s messed up!
I’d have a hard time resisting if I saw one in my hunting area!
May need to start packing a shotgun as well just to drop a few drones!
Ya my brother is still mad I didn’t shoot it, I just didn’t want to deal with the crap ? if I knew for sure I would not get in trouble I would have.

Ya my brother is still mad I didn’t shoot it, I just didn’t want to deal with the crap ? if I knew for sure I would not get in trouble I would have.
In Nevada, they are illegal as well. And by the law, it does not give a provision for LE the way I read it. One of the big things was "harassment" so I don't see how it isn't harassment of the animals when LE utilizes drones during the season when I cannot.

I'd shoot it down here.

What an amazing bull !!! A bull of many lifetimes. Congrats to JJ and AZ. Although after watching the video and hearing Trent (rogue outdoorsman) was going to harass the bull and push him out of the area and keep an actual tag holder a chance at him makes me sick. He was only there to “check his camera” during their hunt after hearing about it. He also was only offered to video their hunt so he wouldn’t mess it up. Unethical and discussing behavior and he doesn’t deserve what he received, IMHO

What an amazing bull !!! A bull of many lifetimes. Congrats to JJ and AZ. Although after watching the video and hearing Trent (rogue outdoorsman) was going to harass the bull and push him out of the area and keep an actual tag holder a chance at him makes me sick. He was only there to “check his camera” during their hunt after hearing about it. He also was only offered to video their hunt so he wouldn’t mess it up. Unethical and discussing behavior and he doesn’t deserve what he received, IMHO

Here's how it all went down from the guy that knew this bull well.

Great first shot by the hunter ?...No offense but Trent sold out big time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom