AZ Mnt. Goat

chasendeer

I heard a rummer that a mountain goat was spotted on the strip during the deer. The bad part is that there is no season on them in Az, so it's legal to shoot it and there are some well known paople that are trying to kill. Is that B.S. or what
See ya.

I would think that just because there is no season doesn't make it legal to shoot. May be wrong.

Probably some gomer that saw a Desert sheep. Told his buddy he saw a mountain goat and the rumors spread. I have a hard time believing that it was a Mt. Goat.

Not too much lichen and other crap that goats eat on the Strip.......Summer will be a bit warm for them too if they last that long......LOL......... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I did'nt see it myself but the guys that did were in our camp. Hunters from Montana that have killed goats and know what a goat is and Kip Fattelah all saw the goat run down the road and cross it in Salthouse Draw down South. It was apparantly a nice Billy. I personally would'nt call Kip a gomer. IMHO
Ryan Hatch apparantly got some pics of one out there last year.

It is really hard to believe. I guess it is a very lost goat that wandered down frome Utah and is now going to spend a very lonely winter out on the AZ strip. Not sure if anyone else saw it as it was fairly late in the hunt and not too many people were around.

Heard of someone seeing one in the Virgin River gorge a couple of years back and figured they must have seen a light colored desert sheep. So maybe it was a Mt. goat.

Being from the "Land Of Mountain Goats", I can tell you it is quite common for Billys to wander. I have seen them in some pretty darn strange places over the years. Actually had a billy walk down the road I live on last summer. LOL! I don't know the geographic challenges between Utah and the Strip so I can't really comment on that but knowing how Billys are, it wouldn't surprise me.
069729.gif

i'm not sure but if it was or was'nt a mnt. goat i'm still pretty sure you can't harvest or (kill) anything like that without a tag. i'm sure the game and fish would like to here about someone tring to (kill) it. please someone correct me if i'm wrong on this. if right turn someone's sorry ass in on this

JD

two years ago, i spotted a mnt. goat on horn mountain in south east utah. were this goat was hanging out was probably 100 miles away from the nearest goat area. this goat then came down off the mountain and was heading west towards the bookcliffs. the dwr later shot this animal because they were afraid it may be packing some diseases from it's travels. this goat traveled through some areas that had domestic sheep and they were afraid it may transfer a disease to the rocky mnt sheep on the bookcliffs.

I must be missing something. what does LOL mean?

LOL.......Laughing Out Loud...Lots Of Laughs

--------------------------------------
Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

This probaly isn't a true Rocky Mountain goat. Several years ago, in Mesquite, NV there was a place called the Arvada Ranch that had a bunch of exotics, including goats.

The place went out of business and some of the goats (and pigs) got away. G&F and BLM have been trying to find them for years in those mountains and get them out of there for fear they would transmit diseases to the Desert Bighorns that are there.

Just call G&F and ask them if it would be ok to shoot a feral goat in sheep country.....Just remember the three S's if you run across one of those damned, stinky things: shoot, shovel, shutup!

There have been pig sightings up there too and I personally found a wallow at a pond that had pig hair and tracks in it. It was near the top of Black Rock several years ago while on a deer hunt. It is legal to shoot them too if you see them there as they are not game animals.

Don Martin

I think if the game isn't native to that state, it can be taken if you see it, don't know that for sure. I hear of a guy in texas killing a huge 6x6 Elk that was feeding on his land, everyone wanted him linched up, but fish and game said they couldn't do anything about it since there wasn't a season for Elk, it was fair game, but you do need a hunthing license. Has anyone else heard of this?

just same as here in NM! mt goat from colorado was in NM border

(los Pinos river) 2 years ago when was hunting for elk.(unit 52)..my cousin and myself was glassing and saw 4 white spot so we got closer and found it was mt goat..happened in October..went back in summer..never found them again!

and Moose! so can be anywhere now!

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-04 AT 08:44AM (MST)[p]It all depends on if the game is a protected species in that state. Just call your g&f. I doubt if mountain goat is listed as a protected species in AZ.
Here in NM, there are some wild Himalayan Tahr on Mt. Taylor that people hunt. No license needed because it is not a protected species.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom