AZ Mule Deer/Javelina Hunt (pics)

BOHNTR

Long Time Member
Just got back from my annual Arizona archery desert mule deer hunt. Since I had a 2010 tag, I headed over a few days early (27th) with the hopes of tagging a buck before the end of the year. After a few close encounters, I ended up arrowing this 24? wide 3x4 on the last day of the season (December 31st). Not a big buck, but a mature deer perfect for the last day.

I also had a 2011 deer tag along with a javelina tag. I only saw two bucks I was willing to arrow on the new tag??especially with venison already in the cooler, so I focused on them. However, one of the down sides of hunting true desert bucks in the rut is you may see a good buck one day and have him checking does 3 miles away for a few days and never get an opportunity to hunt them. Needless to say, I never saw the two big bucks again.

A few days into the January hunt, I spotted a herd of javelina feeding on a cholla filled hillside. I stalked on in and made a good shot on a big boar. What started out as celebration soon changed though? While using my ?locking? knife, it collapsed on me and cut me to the bone on my left index finger??.right at the end joint. With blood spurting out a foot away, I knew I had cut something?.well, pretty darn good. I got the bleeding to stop, but noticed I couldn't move the tip of my finger to the straight position. After some quick field photos with a wrapped up finger I evaluated my situation. To make a long story short, I took a 2-hour trip to the nearest ER and learned I had completely cut the tendon and am now going to have to have it surgically repaired. Oh well, it's a long way from my heart!

So, my trip came to an end a few days early???and those two big ol? muleys I was hunting will hopefully be there next year. But I'm grateful for what the good Lord blessed me with. Hope you enjoy.

6970jan_2011_az_004.jpg

9652img_0179.jpg

2640jan_2011_az_008.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

Thanks for sharing and congrats! I'm sitting up "jonesing" for anything arizona....This post should tide me over for a day or two... I leave in a week for my first ever january archery adventure and its driving me nuts. Been a long time since I was so excited for a hunting trip.... guess it the wonder of whats to come.... and maybe the anticipation of the unknown!

Take care of that finger, at least its not your release hand!

five_point_buck
C.B.C.S.

Congrats BOHNTR!! I love seeing your success photos. I too am chomping at the bit for a Coue?s hunt that I have been prepping for since back in October. I wasn?t able to get into the area because of the snow storm we had last week. I am leaving tomorrow and seeing your success here has me really excited! I am sure glad for you that the damage wasn?t worse on your finger, like losing it. I will take a lesson from you here and be sure my blade is locked open. Something in the heat of the moment and knowing we got work to do we might not think about. I can see how that could happen to anyone.

GBA

Big congrats Roy. I hate "locking" knives for that very reason, won't ever use them.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

8482bears_feet.jpg

What?you don't like mine, ha ha ha LOL. I had to add carpet to mine at camp when I was hunting elk because I wore the bottoms off. Im with five-point-buck, I like the looks of those you have on too Roy. Are those felt with elastic straps? Im thinking they would be pretty durable as well as quiet.

GBA

Yup......Cat Paws. Been using them for years (when they were called Carlton Super Sneakers). They last much longer than Bears Feet......and much cooler to wear since your boot is not covered with polar fleece.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Kind of a pisscutter buck, huh Roy? lol. Again, you struck again with a fine buck and great stink pig. Well done!

Good luck with the finger rehab. My bro-in-law did the same thing a few years ago, and it was a lot of rehab to get his dexterity back. Good luck!

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Great job.
Thanks for posting, I really look forward to your reports each year.
You are certainly one of the very GOOD GUYS.

Mike

Where do you buy "Cat Paws" from??

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

THANKS!

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Congrat's BOHNTR not a bad buck...hunting is what it is...can't always bring home that "big one"...

Tell me BOHNTR...from your Pics was it average weather for that time of year in AZ. The weather has been so crazy with western storms this year. I was just wondering if you ran accross any unusual weather conditions ???

STAY AWAY FROM LOCKING KNIVES had almost the same problem many years ago gutting a mule deer.

Also what do you do with that javelina? Does it taste like chicken???

Good Pic's and story.

TrophyHunter

)))).......>

TH:

This year was definitely colder than normal......with more precipitation in the monsoon season as well. Mesquite and browse was the best I've seen in a few years......at least where I was at. Unusual weather???......yeah, the snow storm was definitely not the "norm" for my area. :)

Javelina is not too bad.......it makes an incredible addition to chili.

BOHNTR )))---------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom