AZ Strip Wild Hogs: Fact or Fiction?

Hey Y'all,

Been on Nellis AFB for a little over a year, I'm from South Carolina and would love to get on some hogs. I've heard talk of hogs on the strip, but I've also heard it's a myth.

Anyone here killed pigs on the strip recently?

BRUIN4L

I've seen them on Mud Mountain while deer hunting about 8 years ago. Cool country to go see but not sure I'd expect pig hunting success there.

I've seen them on Mud Mountain while deer hunting about 8 years ago. Cool country to go see but not sure I'd expect pig hunting success there.
Thanks Bruin, this aligns with most of what I hear. 'If they are there, there aren't enough out there to justify the pursuit'

msolocam

There used to be a lot of them but they have taken a serious hit the last 5 or 7 years. See a few every year but few and far between. Happy Hunting

There used to be a lot of them but they have taken a serious hit the last 5 or 7 years. See a few every year but few and far between. Happy Hunting
Thanks Solo! That's interesting, hat has caused their decline? In other states they are like coyotes, they can't do anything to bring their numbers down.

I was just on the Strip for the rifle hunt last year & a guy in our camp shot one.
Reeaaally....? Ha, up around Mud Mtn? I spent a weekend in that area and we saw tons of sign, but I also know there is a healthy population of javelina there too, so I can't be certain which tracks we were seeing.

Javi tracks remind me of small antelope tracks. Hogs are blockier.
View attachment 7385

I'm familiar with the clover print a hog makes, as I grew up in pig country in Michigan. I have not lived anywhere that hold javelina, so I ASSumed the javelina track would just be a smaller pig track, so I guess everything we saw were indeed pig tracks.

May have to repeat that trip and kill me an AZ pig...

Thanks, Blank!

Arizona Game & Fish doesn't list javelina among the list of species living in the unit, in either 13A or 13B.

"Species within this unit:

Antelope, bighorn sheep, merriam’s turkey, mule deer, quail, feral pigs"

elkchaserreturns

Hello Stickflicker, It has been a long time ago now but, I remember a time when the AFGF swore, after multiple reported sightings from multiple, reliable sources, "there are no elk on the North Kaibab". Now they have a "limited success" hunt there for elk! I have seen Javelina in Unit 8 on Lookout Mtn on the Army depot @ 7500 ft elevation. I have personally seen Javelina (and Elk) in places where I would have bet (& lost) they would never be.
Remember the picture in the AZ Republic of a wild, free ranging Bull elk, standing in an irrigation canal down by Gila Bend?
My point is that, just cuz the AZGF web site says it ain't so, don't mean they ain't there!
Just sayin!

elkchaserreturns

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread. I too have heard there are Wild Hogs on the Strip. Just don't want to shoot one bad enough to justify the expense of a trip up there. From what I read, they are a major pain in the azz in other states. Sure would hate to see them get out of control here in AZ.
AZGF says the Mexican Grey Wolf is not expanding their range across the Mogollon Rim either. Read the same thing about the wolves up in Wyoming, Montana, & now Colorado too! Glad to hear that too! Sure would hate to get in trouble for shooting a big, short snouted coyote!

msolocam

As far as javelina go on the strip, I’ve never seen them. There’s a big canyon and river that I think prevents them from making it up there. Could be wrong.

elkchase, I understand and agree with your point that there could be odds and end species almost anywhere. I've seen Javelina in Unit 9 all the way up against the south side of the Grand Canyon. But like msolocam stated, I just can't see them crossing the Canyon and all that country to get to the Strip. It's not like they could come from Utah, like the elk did.

Thanks all, a lot of great discussion. With me being only two hours away from the strip, I may just have to make a weekend trip over there. Hopefully I can harvest a wild pig and settle this discussion! Also, I will have my camera with me, if I see Javelina I will shoot some pics of them! :D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Chappell Guide Service

We hunt the best areas for Trophy Class Bulls. Quality rather than quantity is always our goal.

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

Big Chino Guide Service

We only offer a quality trophy elk hunt in Arizona. Your trophy bull elk is waiting!

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Dieringer Outfitters

We offer guided hunts for elk, mule deer, coues whitetail, bighorn sheep, antelope, and mountain lions.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Ward's Outfitters

We will share with you over 45 years of expertise in archery and rifle hunting experience in AZ and Mexico.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Top Bottom