AZ Strip Wild Hogs: Fact or Fiction?

GlassMaster

Hey Y'all,

Been on Nellis AFB for a little over a year, I'm from South Carolina and would love to get on some hogs. I've heard talk of hogs on the strip, but I've also heard it's a myth.

Anyone here killed pigs on the strip recently?

I've seen them on Mud Mountain while deer hunting about 8 years ago. Cool country to go see but not sure I'd expect pig hunting success there.

I've seen them on Mud Mountain while deer hunting about 8 years ago. Cool country to go see but not sure I'd expect pig hunting success there.

Thanks Bruin, this aligns with most of what I hear. 'If they are there, there aren't enough out there to justify the pursuit'

There used to be a lot of them but they have taken a serious hit the last 5 or 7 years. See a few every year but few and far between. Happy Hunting

There used to be a lot of them but they have taken a serious hit the last 5 or 7 years. See a few every year but few and far between. Happy Hunting

Thanks Solo! That's interesting, hat has caused their decline? In other states they are like coyotes, they can't do anything to bring their numbers down.

I was just on the Strip for the rifle hunt last year & a guy in our camp shot one.

Reeaaally....? Ha, up around Mud Mtn? I spent a weekend in that area and we saw tons of sign, but I also know there is a healthy population of javelina there too, so I can't be certain which tracks we were seeing.

Javi tracks remind me of small antelope tracks. Hogs are blockier.
7014D54F-ABAE-4CD1-AF58-A3C119FBAD82_4_5005_c.jpeg

Javi tracks remind me of small antelope tracks. Hogs are blockier.
View attachment 7385

I'm familiar with the clover print a hog makes, as I grew up in pig country in Michigan. I have not lived anywhere that hold javelina, so I ASSumed the javelina track would just be a smaller pig track, so I guess everything we saw were indeed pig tracks.

May have to repeat that trip and kill me an AZ pig...

Thanks, Blank!

Arizona Game & Fish doesn't list javelina among the list of species living in the unit, in either 13A or 13B.

"Species within this unit:

Antelope, bighorn sheep, merriam’s turkey, mule deer, quail, feral pigs"

Hello Stickflicker, It has been a long time ago now but, I remember a time when the AFGF swore, after multiple reported sightings from multiple, reliable sources, "there are no elk on the North Kaibab". Now they have a "limited success" hunt there for elk! I have seen Javelina in Unit 8 on Lookout Mtn on the Army depot @ 7500 ft elevation. I have personally seen Javelina (and Elk) in places where I would have bet (& lost) they would never be.
Remember the picture in the AZ Republic of a wild, free ranging Bull elk, standing in an irrigation canal down by Gila Bend?
My point is that, just cuz the AZGF web site says it ain't so, don't mean they ain't there!
Just sayin!

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread. I too have heard there are Wild Hogs on the Strip. Just don't want to shoot one bad enough to justify the expense of a trip up there. From what I read, they are a major pain in the azz in other states. Sure would hate to see them get out of control here in AZ.
AZGF says the Mexican Grey Wolf is not expanding their range across the Mogollon Rim either. Read the same thing about the wolves up in Wyoming, Montana, & now Colorado too! Glad to hear that too! Sure would hate to get in trouble for shooting a big, short snouted coyote!

As far as javelina go on the strip, I’ve never seen them. There’s a big canyon and river that I think prevents them from making it up there. Could be wrong.

elkchase, I understand and agree with your point that there could be odds and end species almost anywhere. I've seen Javelina in Unit 9 all the way up against the south side of the Grand Canyon. But like msolocam stated, I just can't see them crossing the Canyon and all that country to get to the Strip. It's not like they could come from Utah, like the elk did.

Thanks all, a lot of great discussion. With me being only two hours away from the strip, I may just have to make a weekend trip over there. Hopefully I can harvest a wild pig and settle this discussion! Also, I will have my camera with me, if I see Javelina I will shoot some pics of them! :D

Hopefully the Mt Lions are keeping them in check up there! While glassing for bucks in 2017 early archery hunt in 13B we did see 1 while watching some bucks. I sat a waterhole in the same area for 12 days and seen lots of deer, lions, coyotes and jack rabbits but no hogs came in day or night on camera.

Back in the 1980s, there was a preserve located right next to the Virgin River near Mesquite that was owned by Jimmy Huges, the mayor. It's now closed, but it offered hunts for pheasant/chukar and a few exotics, such as blackbuck and wild boar. So if there are feral hogs on the strip, this joint might have been the guilty party.

I hunted birds there a few times and also killed one of the hogs and a blacbuck. More importantly, I swapped a M19 S&W for a German shorthair puppy with the ranch manager. Ginger was 8 weeks old and became a key family member and hunting companion for the next decade until I had to put her down because of pancreatic cancer.

The hog is in the upper left corner and the hide on the end table under lamp is the blackbuck. Why it, the lion on the chest, blacktail on lamp shade and bears hanging in the corner and covering a chair in lower left didn't get mounted is a long story.

6641trophyr6[1].jpg

Last edited:
Areas where I can almost guarantee you being successful in killing one of these pigs is Tweeds point . These pigs love eating the grasses that have been taking over areas from wildfires . I'm out there regularly , and yourself and a friend could just walk along each side of the deep draws/canyons that have juniper trees and you'll bump them out as they seek refuge during the day to sleep in these draws/canyons ! This year i had almost 20 pigs in 1 picture at a water catchment on Tweeds point . So many pigs that the deer no longer showed up . They pushed the deer out completely!!

Reeaaally....? Ha, up around Mud Mtn? I spent a weekend in that area and we saw tons of sign, but I also know there is a healthy population of javelina there too, so I can't be certain which tracks we were seeing.
I've hunted on the Strip for many years and have NEVER seen a javelina there. Used to see feral pigs on Mud too, but not anymore..
Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Hey Y'all,

Been on Nellis AFB for a little over a year, I'm from South Carolina and would love to get on some hogs. I've heard talk of hogs on the strip, but I've also heard it's a myth.

Anyone here killed pigs on the strip recently?
Did you have any luck? We live up in UT and we head down to the strip every year. We’ve seen sign, but haven’t had any luck. It seems every time we go, we get closer to finding them. Learning to hunt these hogs is a talent when they are sparse. Feel free to text me if you need any help, or want some local info. 760-576-6266 Jarrett

Did you have any luck? We live up in UT and we head down to the strip every year. We’ve seen sign, but haven’t had any luck. It seems every time we go, we get closer to finding them. Learning to hunt these hogs is a talent when they are sparse. Feel free to text me if you need any help, or want some local info. 760-576-6266 Jarrett
Hey Jarrett, as I'm sure you can imagine life got a little hairy over the past year and with all my tagged hunts taking priority I haven't made it back out there yet. I'm ready to get out there anytime now, though. I'll shoot you a text and maybe we can get after it?

Back in the 1980s, there was a preserve located right next to the Virgin River near Mesquite that was owned by Jimmy Huges, the mayor. It's now closed, but it offered hunts for pheasant/chukar and a few exotics, such as blackbuck and wild boar. So if there are feral hogs on the strip, this joint might have been the guilty party.

I hunted birds there a few times and also killed one of the hogs and a blacbuck. More importantly, I swapped a M19 S&W for a German shorthair puppy with the ranch manager. Ginger was 8 weeks old and became a key family member and hunting companion for the next decade until I had to put her down because of pancreatic cancer.

The hog is in the upper left corner and the hide on the end table under lamp is the blackbuck. Why it, the lion on the chest, blacktail on lamp shade and bears hanging in the corner and covering a chair in lower left didn't get mounted is a long story.

View attachment 20813
Cool story!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom