AZ unit 10 info needed.

H

hunterman67

has anyone been in unit 10 arizona this fall yet ????? whats it looking like up there, any info would be great. has anyone taken anything yet ?
MICHAEL S. WAITE, TUCSON-MARANA, AZ.

I tried this same approach for this unit about 1 month ago and received very little info. The group I'm in has 4 late bull tags with very high expectations, so we started scouting early and this is what we have learned.

The info provided on the Game and Fish web site provides you a great starting place and yes the areas they identify hold trophy bulls, atleast they did prior to the archery season....!With that said I spent 2 weeks in #10 before I even seen an elk, so far we have spent 7 weekends scouting the areas in 10 and have it pretty well dialed in.

My recommendation is to hop on a quad and take those 30-40 mile rides, learn the roads and areas. Select an area that suites your style of hunting and appears to hold a huntable population of elk and spend the rest of your time prior to your hunt in that area.
Best of Luck

did you get my email ??? i must have missed your post 1 month ago- otherwise i would have written. this is my 4th year in a row having this tag- i am very familiar with this unit- top to bottom. my gramps, and father have both taken elk from this unit- bulls and cows. i have yet to see 1 live "cow" elk in my 3 full years hunting here. thats 3 years- 10 day hunts = 30 hunting days, and 1 week=7 days scouting. so i have bull elk in my camp each and every year- no cows, i have a resident herd of my beloved MULE DEER 60 yards away from my running generator BEDDED !!!!! i have herds of antelope in the same meadow i am camped in, and last year i had javelinas- yes little desert piggies in the pines- in my campsite. and mind you this is not a koa campsite- it is a full 20+ miles away from any civilzation- in the boonies- animals everywhere, but alas- no COW elk. i am asking for any current information on unit 10- anything, water levels, sightings, anything- i will pass along what i know- if the same is done for me. thank you.
MICHAEL S. WAITE C/O WAITE RANCH, TUCSON-MARANA, AZ.

Sorry I did not receive your e-mail, give it a try agin or post yours. What tag do you have ?

i resent it right now- also you can click on the little box thing next to my name above and it will "email" me, or it is [email protected] i have the late cow tag. it is november the 28th-december the 7th- 10 days total, something like that anyway.

MICHAEL S. WAITE TUCSON-MARANA, AZ.

Have you scouted the areas on the ranch...the Boquios (sp), about 20 miles from Seligman?...I've seen several bulls around the Big Chief area.

yes i did- actually i entered that ranch from both sign in stations- in seligman, and pica camp. i hunted 3 full days in there, only hearing some shots from the road way ahead of where i was, i got out and was walking north and after i was about 1 mile in i heard shooting- 5 shots total. i watched very closely- nothing. after i got back to my truck i began driving there to where i heard the shots- i was expecting to see a gut pile or something. what i saw was a ford pickup with 3 hunters in it who were just driving the roads and 4 cow elk ran across- they all shot at them- 5 times- no hits, the elk ran north- away from me. that is the closest i was to elk- cow elk all last year. i am sick of pulling stalks on bulls, or glassing bulls, having bulls bugleing in my camp all freaking night- it is neat to see them, but it is not neat to keep seeing them for all 4 cow elk hunts i have been on there in unit 10- in the last 4 years !!!!! this is the 5th and final year i will put this hunt on my application unless something different happens.
MICHAEL S. WAITE, TUCSON-MARANA, AZ.

Well i guess that is good news for me. I have a early cow tag, hope i get lucky. Anyone else have some suggestions?
mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom