Az Unit 10

azhuntin

Has anyone been out and about in unit 10? How are the bulls looking? The ones I saw this past weekend are not finishing out very well. Fronts are good, but tops are real weak.

Thanks,
Michael

Hey Michael, I was in 10 on friday and saturday. I also ran into the same thing as well. Good fronts but real weak in the back. Especialy the 5th's on some of these bulls, they were very weak. The rain storms should have came about 3-4 months ago if not more... Typical drought year! Lots of tag holders who may be a little dissapointed with antler growth...

If only it was like it was 2005! Man that was an awesome year for antlers!

Shedreg

I have been noticing this in Units 7, 8, and 10 as well. Some nice looking bottoms, but dying off on top.

Guys:

Unfortunately, that IS going to be the case with almost ALL of the bulls in Unit 10 this year.

The reason of course is the drought. We needed the rain about three months ago.

My buddy, who has a Unit 10 archery tag, showed me a photo of a bull he saw in the pines (can't give away the location) and he is huge! Big all the way through.

That of course is the exception, not the rule.

Good luck on your hunts and might see you out there.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

I have an archery tag for 10 this year and considering what you guys have been seeing do you think it is still realistic to see plenty of bulls in the 340"-350" class with weak back ends.What is the size of most of the top end bulls on drought years.Good Luck this fall.

I would think there would be plenty of bulls available in that class range. Some of the bulls I looked at were going to finish out around 360-370, but they would have been a lot bigger if there top ends were not so bad.

Michael

I have been spending alot of time in 7 and alot of the bull I am seeing have good fifths on them. Have located 4 bulls that will finish over 370 with 1 going to finish around 400

Got photos?

I have found that with all the BS that goes on with guys on these forums, that people are now wanting to see photos of these giant bulls to verify just how big they are.

That's while I videotape all the time. Kind of cool to come back to the comfort the easy chair, put the video on the big screen and really look over a critter. Much easier to "score" when he's in the pause mode...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you guys aren't seeing those giant bulls. Just make sure you have the proof in case someone calls you out on it.

I'm not seeing a lot of bulls in Unit 10 that will finish up at 360-370. Could be I'm in the wrong spot. Talked to some other guys who are serious scouters and they are saying and seeing almost the same thing and they are different parts of Unit 10 that I am in.

A 350 class bull will be a dandy in Unit 10 this year, at least that's my opinion.

Don Martin

don i understand were you are coming from about having pictures. but if others are like me i dont feel like having people trying to get me to give up a location on a big bull i work to hard to have my day ruined like what has happend latly with the photos of big bulls here in arizona and nevada. it is better to stay quite on what you are seeing until you have the photos on the ground. 10 will produce bulls over 400 this year but they will be taked in the most unlikely spots.

Not good at all. As we all know, unit 9 & 10 are excellent areas. However, the drought is giving the elk an average antler growth. My opinion, if you have a chance for a 350. Don't pass it up.

Don,

Here is a example of what we are seeing in 10....weak on top end

46afffd832040a65.jpg

Rut:

What a great bull! Just imagine what he would have been IF there had been some winter/spring rains with lots of green feed!

Wow, still would be a heck of a trophy in just about anyone's book.

Don

I know what you mean by showing proof Don. The only thing is with my video and pictures of the bulls you can tell where I am and I do not want to jepordize my hunt. I will post pictures after the season but will be cropping the background for the future of this area.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-03-07 AT 07:42AM (MST)[p]I know exactly where that bull is! :)

It's Bush's fault!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom