AZ Unit 6b Bear

R

redrabbit

I went out on last Friday's archery opener for archery bear and called in my first bear! After about 4 setups, had a blonde with cinnamon accents come out of a draw to about 15 yards. The bear was facing head-on so I couldn't loose an arrow. The wind swirled and it was gone. At the time, I had no thoughts that I was the prey, only 15 short yards away on the ground. That evening , a blackie came to about 60 yards up another draw (just a short ways further down the canyon from where the blonde was that morning), about one minute after a coyote responded to the varmint call. It was an exciting day for sure.
What do you think are the chances of calling in that blonde again?

Doug/Red Rabbit

The chances are excellent if you can glass him up and get in front of him and start wailing on the call again.

Bret M.

Boy it sure is good to hear that someone can call bear. Ive been trying for a couple years and have yet to call one. Just coyotes and a few bobcat. Congrats and good luck

rr...what are you using for a call? good luck with that 'blonde' it's probably still in the area...hang in there

Littlefoot,
I was using a Circe jackrabbit call, and wailing on it with a crying baby/dying jackrabbit sound with short breaths. Kept calling constantly with no breaks -and I thought running took your breath away.
I might be able to go back out again this Friday, if the unit doesn't close. this time I'll try an electronic caller set off to the side , so the attention isn't directly at me.

Doug/Red Rabbit

I have hunted bear many times in 6B and have seen two black colored bears but never seen a blond bear. Are there any acorns on the oaks? I plan to hunt 6B during the rifle season so save one for me.