AZGFD accepting applications for 2021 fall hunts

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member

AZGFD accepting applications for 2021 fall hunts​

Posted May 10, 2021​

Mule-Deer-Buck-9-2.jpg

Now is perfect time to review portal account information

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department (AZGFD) is accepting applications for 2021 hunt permit-tags issued through the draw process for deer, fall turkey, fall javelina, bighorn sheep, fall bison and sandhill crane.

To apply, visit www.azgfd.gov and click on “Apply For A Draw.” For an overview of the application service, including license requirements, applying for bonus points and payment information, see Page 26 of the “2021-22 Arizona Hunting Regulations.” Printed versions soon will be available at all license dealers statewide.

The deadline for the department to receive all applications is 11:59 p.m. (Arizona time) Tuesday, June 8, 2021. Applicants must possess a valid Arizona hunting license to apply for a hunt permit-tag. That license must be valid on the last day of the application period (June 8).

In the meantime:

• Check your AZGFD portal account. This is the perfect time to review your personal data, including your application history and total bonus points (bonus, loyalty, hunter education). If something seems amiss, call AZGFD at 602-942-3000 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Know your Department ID or Customer ID. This is a must to submit an application. There are three ways to locate a Department ID or Customer ID: Log into your AZGFD portal account, and click on “View Details” under “My AZGFD Dashboard;” check your hunting or combination hunt and fish license if it was purchased online; or call AZGFD at 602-942-3000 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Plan to purchase PointGuard. This allows hunters to surrender their hunt permit-tag(s) for any reason without losing their bonus points. A portal account is no longer required to purchase PointGuard. Information: www.azgfd.gov/pointguard.
For more information, check out “What You Need to Know,” a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs), at https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Draw/.

I am in for sheep, points only for deer. Good to get it done early. I forgot my deer and sheep application in 2017 and lost my loyalty point

Yep, I'm in for deer and sheep. I'm probably doing it wrong but what a PIA to have to refill all you're info and pay separately for each app? Only 16 deer points but you never know. Good luck guys

I am in for sheep, points only for deer. Good to get it done early. I forgot my deer and sheep application in 2017 and lost my loyalty point
Never do points only for deer in AZ!!! At least throw your name if for the 13b rifle hunt. My buddy drew it with less than max points in 2017.

Never do points only for deer in AZ!!! At least throw your name if for the 13b rifle hunt. My buddy drew it with less than max points in 2017.
If you really don't have any points, that might be a long-shot strategy. But many people put in for bonus points because they have other permits already, or other time obligations and they don't have enough remaining vacation time to do a quality hunt. If you are just a few points away from being in the Max Points Pool, you don't just throw your name into a hunt and cash out all your points for a hunt where you can't get any time off to do it properly, especially one that's 400 miles or more away from most people's home. You apply during years you can take the time to actually have a chance at a reasonably good hunt.

Haha. I put in for dozens of years for my what turned out to be "once in a lifetime" deer tag. About year 15-18, my boss said "What are you gonna do if you draw, and I won't give you the time off? I said "QUIT, I can get another job any where, anytime, for more than I make here". Sobered him right up, and he said "Keep putting in, we're good!!!" :)

Haha. I put in for dozens of years for my what turned out to be "once in a lifetime" deer tag. About year 15-18, my boss said "What are you gonna do if you draw, and I won't give you the time off? I said "QUIT, I can get another job any where, anytime, for more than I make here". Sobered him right up, and he said "Keep putting in, we're good!!!" :)
Funny you say that I’m going through a similar situation with my boss only he isn’t as understanding.

I said "QUIT, I can get another job any where, anytime, for more than I make here". :)
I did exactly that to go on my first hunt in Colorado circa late 1960s -- a DIY horseback elk/deer venture in the San Juans near Vallecito Lake.

I was selling major appliances at a Sear's outlet store at the time. There were three of us that worked the floor from 9 to 9 each day, switching off one in early & two in late each day. We worked on straight commission. One guy quit to go elsewhere after I had already bought a Colo. NR license & paid a deposit for renting the horse. Even though the other salesman gladly agreed to cover the floor 12 hrs. ea. day while I was gone, the store manager told me if I went I wouldn't have a job when I returned. I told him I didn't have a job when I got that one so I'd just go find another one the way I had found that one.

Sure enough, when I returned I went into the store to pick up a check owed to me from my last week and was told I no longer worked there. It was kind of a blessing, so to speak. That's what launched my career into the firearms/sporting goods sales decade-long segment of my early life.

My attitude is simple. Life is short. Work hard. But got to enjoy life too. Never know what next year will bring. Tags I draw. I don’t worry about not going, I treat them as if it may be the last tag I ever get to hunt. As you never know, it could be. I go hunt. My work has been understanding of it. The day that changes. Theres literally countless of other jobs out there, if a person is willing. I’m not beyond doing crappy jobs either so I’m not worried about it.

As an educator, it is more trouble to be gone from work than to be there. Getting closer and closer to retirement and most of my hunts have been Friday-Sunday hunts. Love my job but really sucks if you want time off to hunt in the fall. I don't want to wish my life away but when I'm done teaching in a few years I plan on going up 2-3 days before season opener and stay for the entire hunt.

I was really quite lucky in having the time to hunt almost my entire life. For most of the 1960s, I worked with my dad as a mechanic in his service station. I could go hunt almost whenever I pleased. BUT...I had to go elsewhere in 1969 when they tore up the road for reconstruction, causing business to come to a screeching halt. As told above, that's when I went to Sear's and eventually got fired a few months later.

Next stop was working on the gun side of the Jewel Box, the largest pawn shop in downtown PHX and biggest gun seller in the West at the time. On an almost daily basis, I was hauling 40-50 packages with guns in them to the nearby USPS for shipping around the country. From there I jumped into management, first with a J.C. Penny's sporting goods dept. and then managing one for a brandy new a Woolco store. Those three stops covered about four years and curtailed my hunting & fishing to mostly weekends.

The Woolco gig led to a job as a commissioned wholesale road rep selling firearms, fishing tackle & hardware all over AZ. That opened a lot more time for me ; as long as I covered my accounts, my time working was determined by me. Kept that job until we decided to buy a resort & move to Vallecito Lake, Colo. While my wife & daughter ran the resort, I guided hunters & fisherman and worked as carpenter in the off-season. We stayed there 3 years, returned to PHX in 1979, where I made a very brief return to the Woolco store so we could eat. I told the store manager my stay was temporary until I found something else, but he didn't care since his dept. mg. had just quit. Lasted about 4 months.

Next up was another commissioned sales rep job, this time selling all sorts of photographic equipment in AZ, NM & LV. The company, American Wholesale Hardware, was based in Long Beach, CA. It was a good gig. I made decent money and had scads of time to hunt & fish. I also started soliciting more of my articles & photos. By 1984, I was selling enough freelance stuff to quit the sales rep job and launch a full-time outdoor writing career that continued until I formally retired two years ago.

And...now that I should have all the time in the world to hunt, my health has sadly limited it to zero.

Now you know the rest of the story.

Last edited:

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom