B & C ram

wytex

Very Active Member
My Wyoming ram makes the Boone and Crockett book at 181 1/8".
Taken Oct 12, DIY hunt on public land

76764dscn2927720x540.jpg

66655dscn29361200x900.jpg

I drew this tag with 1 PP short of max.
We work for a local rancher and they gave me permission to hunt some landlocked public land, the wife will not allow sheep hunting on their land.
We saw a band feeding one day towards the state land but did not have time to make a stalk that day.
While cow elk hunting later we spotted them feeding towards the parcel and made a stalk. No sheep anywhere. On the way out we stopped and looked back and there they were bedded on the edge of the state land, they must have gone to water first before bedding.
Made about a mile stalk and found them bedded, 6 rams. We were within 75 yards when we found them in a crack.
2 young rams spotted us a got up, but only moved about 25 yards and bedded again, just looking at us.
I moved forward on the band and the bigger ram finally got up and turned to walk away. At 75 yards the only shot I had was going away so I took it. Hit him in the back end and the bullet traveled his entire body length and came to rest just under the hide on front shoulder. He piled up about 100 yards from their bedding spot.
We had no idea about his true size until we put hands on him.
I was very fortunate to get the access and really didn't want to affect the other tag holders hunting the public lands so I concentrated in my spots.
All of the sheep hunters in this area filled their tags, mine was the biggest ram this year.

Awesome trophy! Congratulations. I'll probably never hunt them, but would be a fun experience.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I've killed a couple big horns, one B&C like that, and they are just unreal in the hands. As pretty as the mount came out, looking back, I'd prefer to skip the mount, and put the horns on a table for people of all types to handle.

A truly massive BH like that can only be expressed when you hold those horns in your hands. There is nothing like them......

I've killed a couple big horns, one B&C like that, and they are just unreal in the hands. As pretty as the mount came out, looking back, I'd prefer to skip the mount, and put the horns on a table for people of all types to handle.

A truly massive BH like that can only be expressed when you hold those horns in your hands. There is nothing like them......

Amen....If I kill another ram it will be a european....

Here's a little comparison. We found a ram hit by a vehicle and the GW let us keep it. Sadly I have pics from just a week or so before he was hit. Had I seen this ram on the hoof when hunting my tag I would have taken him in a heartbeat, but after putting him next to mine side by side I'm happy with my choice.
He was a more mature ram but just didn't have the bloodlines my ram did.

IMG_1507 copy.jpg

IMG_1917 copy.jpg

IMG_1925 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_1928 (2) copy.jpg

I can't find the score sheet right now but it went below 170.
My taxidermist, the official scorer and we were very surprised by the final score of my ram.
I also know of another ram taken this year in a non western side unit, DIY hunt, that made B&C book. Wyoming has some great DIY sheep hunting for those with the PP and the time to put in a hunt.

Congrats on a great ram!!! I took a 188 2/8" ram here in Colorado in 2018. A guy never expects to take such a great animal, but it sure is satisfying when it all comes together.

Congrats again on a great achievement!!!

Thanks folks.
I just want to say DIY sheep hunting is very doable in the right areas.
My app was always based on the fact that I would be going DIY and not paying an outfitter. Played my odds and only applied in areas that worked for us.
From what I've seen Colorado and Wyoming both have great sheep hunting for the DIY folks, Montana might as well I just don't know that state.
Don't think you have to pay out the azz for a hunt if you draw the right tag. Hunts in my area go for $8-10,000, no need for that at all.

Killed my ram here in Idaho in 1993, after 16 days of solo hunting. The outfitter killed the other two on one-day hunts, and two non-guided hunters got nothing.

I couldn't afford it then, and wouldn't do it now if I had the option.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom