Back From 51-9

callsalot

Beginning of the year I reached out to those of Monster Muley's for help on 51-9. Rightfully so I got info that this is a very difficult unit and it was. After spending almost two weeks there here's my two cents on it. Tough country with not a high density of elk and grizzly sign everywhere. You can spend a lot of time trying to find where the elk are and we did have one grizzly encounter. However the nice thing is very limited hunting pressure and if you find the elk they are receptive to the call because they aren't called at every two seconds by hunters thanks to the limited tags. We went two for three and should have went three for three. We only had one shot at a large bull but the shot was low and the two bulls we killed weren't huge but it was absolutely an adventure and I just wanted to say thanks to those that gave advice and wished us good luck!!!

664592018bryan.jpg

679542018brayden.jpg

Thanks, yes we cried at missing the one 340+ bull we had a chance at but we learned a new area, saw a couple bull moose, one lynx, one grizzly and got a ticket for parking more than 14 feet off the road because I wanted to park in the shade to keep the first load of meat cool. I guess you can only park more the 14 feet off the road when camping and wood cutting. Oh well rules are rules.

Good job on a couple of nice bulls. Hunting in Grizz country keeps you on your toes that's for sure
Congratulations ??

Nice going on the bulls. I guess we should bring a tape measure now to not violate the 14 foot rule.

Nice bulls!

A question though...

Can you explain this 14 foot rule more? Is this a forest rule, county code, state law? Just curious, learn new things every day, and can be important when looking at various states to hunt that are vastly different than your home state.

Sure, while we were packing out the first bull we killed I wanted to park in the shade so there were some tire tracks from the dirt road to the edge of the timber about 70 yards in so I pulled my truck in there. When we got the last load out a forest service guy was there and said in the Shoshone forest you can only park more than 14 ft off the road for camping or wood cutting with a wood cutting permit and also said it's different in other forest like around the Bighorn mtns. We spoke with some other hunters that received a $130 ticket for not having a lock on their coolers outside their wall tents "I'm assuming due to grizzlies" and when they got back the coolers were gone with a note left by the forest service on how to get them back. Bummer to come back from a long hunt and your drinks and food are gone. Oh well like I said before rules are rules.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom