Back From British Columbia

PleaseDear

Long Time Member
I just got back from an outfitter Trapline and Hunting trip in British Columbia.

Wolves, Wolverines, Lynx, Fishers, Martins, Ermine and ect species available to harvest.

I did just fine and really enjoy my 7 days 50 miles out in the bush!

I drove from my home in the Ogden, Utah area, via Idaho, Montana, Alberta into British Columbia to the main Lodge and hunted out via snowmobile and snowshoes each day....

2987 miles round trip, freaking winter wonderland driving for sure!

I luv my JPGladiator and my Toyo MT rubber.

Enjoy,

Robb

IMG_6721.jpg

I entered thru Roosville, Montana via route 93.

I totally wanna move to the Flathead Lake area of Montana.

Kudos to CVS for texting me my Negative Covid test results as I drove up on January 11th, so I could enter Canada.

IMG_7698.jpg

In preparation for all this winter driving I went full awareness for packing/staging for winter survival and travel.

For sure after all the winter stranded drivers on I-95 back in Virgina a week before I left for Canada.

IMG_7672.jpg

I just got back from an outfitter Trapline and Hunting trip in British Columbia.

Wolves, Wolverines, Lynx, Fishers, Martins, Ermine and ect species available to harvest.

I did just fine and really enjoy my 7 days 50 miles out in the bush!

I drove from my home in the Ogden, Utah area, via Idaho, Montana, Alberta into British Columbia to the main Lodge and hunted out via snowmobile and snowshoes each day....

2987 miles round trip, freaking winter wonderland driving for sure!

I luv my JPGladiator and my Toyo MT rubber.

Enjoy,

Robb

View attachment 65799
Robb- sounds Iike an awesome adventure into the backcountry. The Jeep looks mean and ready for it. What is the mpg ? I bet you burned some fuel but oh how worth it.

I use this mixer of 25% kitty litter and 75% ice melt around the sidewalks here at home, so I brought some for the trip to help if I got in a bind

Putting it in 1-liter bottles sure helps to save on usage and having more control of where I put it down.

IMG_7674.jpg

I'll add more as time allows, ya know how it is first day or two back home are busy-busy.

I totally love being a Batchelor but lots to do for 1 guy and then toss in the GF demands after being gone for 12 days!

I'll end for now with this pic of CITES prepped hides before documentation and then shipping to my home or taxi.

Skinned, fleshed and salted hides, Wolf, Fisher, Ermine and Lynx

Yeh, I'm as tired as I look!

Robb

IMG_7799.jpg

The Lynx feed traps had a unique design to them either 3 tree triangles or 4 tree box with the feed hanging inside with Snares at certain locations around the Feed Trap.

My guide would purposely put small branches under the snares so that the Lynx would not go under the snare but into it with it's head.

Enjoy,

Robb

IMG_7708.jpg

The remote cabin, generator and a small solar pannel to batteries.... just log fireplace heating and a Roly-Poly --Canadian babe for any warmth!

IMG_7747.jpg

First time I've ever had to break trail with snowshoes for the morning after coffee to the outhouse to put 'The kids in the Pool' gig.

IMG_7748.jpg

Might just as well get a load of precut wood from one of the many timber cut locations.

Sled some new feed into a feed site on the way out

IMG_7760.jpg

What a great share....... that’s a rare adventure, on this forum. You’ve been thinking outside the box, for sure. Now you’ve got every bodies motor churning.........

Don’t have any idea what your expectations were before you headed out but it looks to me you like had a great trip and for us below the 49th guys.... a unique hands, on bucket list experience. A credit to a creative mind!!!

From that one photo of the trail going up through those snow covered pines, I was guessing north central BC but your round trip miles doesn’t seem like it was too far north west of Jasper, Alberta.

The feed sites for the Wolves are pretty big and take a vast amount of feed to keep active interest

Even in the bitter cold temps, they are quite the smell factor!

IMG_7704.jpg

Kinda eerie going into a feed site with all the fresh wolf tracks and sometimes you could hear them howling very close to ya.

Pistols are illegal in Canda and packing a rifle was a burden so ya just went in and carefully.

IMG_7711.jpg

Last edited:
Setting up snares in any little tight opening in the brush made for simple travel corridors for wolves or whatever animal that came along the area.

Hardly can see the snare from like 10 feet

IMG_7716.jpg

He 'aint' going over my shoulders that's for sure!!

I could have spread him out more, I guess but I didn't want to 'Long-Arm' the photo.

F-Body mount for sure

I really like the Grey Wolf with Salt-n-Pepper mixed in his hide.

I keep going back and forth on how to have the Lynx mount above him on a branch and him below growling up ------ Something like that anyways....

IMG_20200318_075359 (2).jpg

While at the lodge apartment area I had for my stay, I got an opportunity to watch our own 'LlamaPacker' Bill harvest his Dall Ram via video DVD

Best running shot I've ever seen Bill

IMG_7818.jpg

I had the whole 2 bedroom/Kitchenette to myself and the whole week of trapping/hunting 1 x 1 guided.

What a view from upstairs
IMG_7775.jpg
IMG_7787.jpg

I traveled to and fro via Banff/Jasper National Parks in Alberta.

I took the Ice Field Parkway up and over from Radium Hot Springs to Jasper.

What a delightful drive even with windy blowing snow in places and snow cover road....

I'll keep answering questions and PM's

Robb

IMG_7819.jpg

The skinning shed had a scale on the hoist and it was in Canadian weight of course but converted to American pounds he was right @ 145 lbs, not gutted.

Robb
Big dog. I have a Giant Schnauzer that weighs 115 and that is huge to me. Thanks again for the great writeup.

I traveled to and fro via Banff/Jasper National Parks in Alberta.

I took the Ice Field Parkway up and over from Radium Hot Springs to Jasper.

What a delightful drive even with windy blowing snow in places and snow cover road....

I'll keep answering questions and PM's

Robb

View attachment 66004
Yellowhead Highway? I’ve driven that road, in the summer. It would be a wild ride in the winter. I’d like to go back and try to fish for stealhead but I’m afraid those days have come an gone for me. Congratulations on a successful trip into a pristine wilderness at a most extreme time of year.

quit the trip and sounds like you did hit the cold spell, if you went through Radium could of had a coffee and could of showed you some of the sheep except probable lots on the road any way.
Just a thought but if you just got the hides tanned and hung on a wall etc you would probable have enough left over to go on another trip next year, vrs getting them all life sized.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom