Back pack to do it all for my son?

elks96

Long Time Member
So my son is age 11, still growing but very dedicated to the out doors. We want to do a week long back packing/fishing trip (not hunting). We also need to get him a good pack for quarters, etc.

I have an eberle stock just one. It is adjustable and can adjust as he grows, but the bag is heavy and while it can be used for trips, I find it not sturdy enough under heavy loads.
So a back pack that can grow with him, pack sleeping bag and week worth of stuff, carry a quarter of an elk, but not be too massive to be larger day pack?

does that exist?

Stone Glacier Avail 2200 for now. Get the Krux or Xcurve frame a little later to upgrade the 2200 "bag" as he gets bigger.

The Kifaru Nomad II is the bag you are looking for. Call Kifaru and see what they recommend for a pack frame to meet your "growing" need. The bag will serve him for his entire lifetime.

The Kifaru Nomad II is the bag you are looking for. Call Kifaru and see what they recommend for a pack frame to meet your "growing" need. The bag will serve him for his entire lifetime.
I was about to +1 , but I always confuse Kuiu and Kifaru.

I have the Kuiu Pro-pack system (several, I guess) and mix & match bags and Frames to fit just about anyone.

The harness system is fully adjustable.

The frame itself comes it 3 sizes, IIRC.

The bags go from 1800-7800 cu-in.

It also doubles as a pack frame and is rated at more than I can carry.

It'd be perfect for someone who's size is changing. Once you have the harness system and a few bags, all you'd need to do is switch out the carbon fiber frame component as he grows.

(It takes me about 5 minutes to switch out bags/frames to fit someone else.)

SG 3300 is what I’m carrying and mostly fits your criteria. For a weeks worth of gear that might be tough. It will fit my solo tent, sleeping bag, stove, food and a change of clothes for a few days in the bag, but a week might be tight unless you’re a one change of clothes per week guy.

If I plan to go in and spike out longer, I carry my extra spike camp gear and clothes in a stuff sack on the meat shelf, then compress it back down to normal pack mode to hunt.

I've been a big fan of the Kuiu Ultra packs for a quite a few years now. I currently run an Ultra 3000 for day to day work and a 6500 bag for extended backcountry work. Before that I had the earlier frame and 5200 bag. Seems to take two different bags for the type of thing I'm doing. Either way it will pack 80 to 100 lbs no problem if you can handle it.

If I had to buy one pack now it would be the Pro Lite 5500. This one can be used for day to day hunting work and extended trips with all the gear at 4.2 lbs. My Ultra 3000 is 3.7 lbs and pretty limited when it come to carrying all your gear and camping gear. The 6500 is epic, but almost 6 lbs and just way too big for most day to day use.

Here's a pic with about 80 lbs of elk quarters between the bag and frame and another behind with all my camera gear and a spotting scope on the Ultra 3000.

As your boy grows, you can get new waist, shoulder and frame as needed. It's a bit expensive, but nothing like some of the other brands that require you to do a full do over as he grows.

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

sherpa-pete-2018.jpg

There is no perfect pack, I have tested or looked or personally have, seek outside, exo-mountain, mystery ranch, kifaru, stone glacier. I have not seen or tried a kuiu. Seek outside has a legitimate lightweight aluminium frame which is badass, can out carry any other pack on the market, none of this carbon fiber rod bullshit that bends when you cinch up your loadlifters at 100lb loads. It also has a durable, lightweight waterproof fabric for the bag material. But..... buckle system is a bit time consuming, bag is basically just a rucksack, no external pockets, although the built in water bottle holders are the best in class. Mystery ranch is a very durable pack except the frame can get bent under heavy loads, heavy bag material equals a heavier pack. Kifaru is similair, great craftsmanship and durability, but multiday bag is huge and dry weight of pack is just too big and bulky. exo-mountain is lightweight, well crafted but again lacks external pockets, and I do wonder how the bag would handle under extreme loads. Stone glacier makes a well designed pack that really cinches up well to change from a day pack to a multiday load hauler. Negatives are bag material, which is not waterproof and really soaks up the rain.

If anyone out there could make the perfect pack please let me know.... lightweight aluminium frame, waterproof bag material, external pockets built in to the bag, not sold as "extra accessory pieces" a well designed load hauler and strap system that can cinch down the pack size as well.

The best two out there right now in my opinion are the Stone Glacier, and seek outside.

This may sound dumb, but your son is only 11. Let him try some different packs and see what HE likes. When it works or doesn't, then in 5-7 years he can upgrade to a better and more suitable one for himself. You're over thinking this. It's not for YOU!!!

There is no perfect pack, I have tested or looked or personally have, seek outside, exo-mountain, mystery ranch, kifaru, stone glacier. I have not seen or tried a kuiu. Seek outside has a legitimate lightweight aluminium frame which is badass, can out carry any other pack on the market, none of this carbon fiber rod bullshit that bends when you cinch up your loadlifters at 100lb loads. It also has a durable, lightweight waterproof fabric for the bag material. But..... buckle system is a bit time consuming, bag is basically just a rucksack, no external pockets, although the built in water bottle holders are the best in class. Mystery ranch is a very durable pack except the frame can get bent under heavy loads, heavy bag material equals a heavier pack. Kifaru is similair, great craftsmanship and durability, but multiday bag is huge and dry weight of pack is just too big and bulky. exo-mountain is lightweight, well crafted but again lacks external pockets, and I do wonder how the bag would handle under extreme loads. Stone glacier makes a well designed pack that really cinches up well to change from a day pack to a multiday load hauler. Negatives are bag material, which is not waterproof and really soaks up the rain.

If anyone out there could make the perfect pack please let me know.... lightweight aluminium frame, waterproof bag material, external pockets built in to the bag, not sold as "extra accessory pieces" a well designed load hauler and strap system that can cinch down the pack size as well.

The best two out there right now in my opinion are the Stone Glacier, and seek outside.
Sounds like you are asking for a Seek Lanner or Peregrine bag, both have two outside pockets and a mesh pocket.

It depends on how much money you want to spend, if you don’t want to spend more that 300 I’d look at the SJK packs, if 400 is an option you might be able to buy a kuiu pack system used or at discount, if 500 is an option mystery ranch metcalf or beartooth are solid options, and if you can swing 600+ get a exo mtn gear k3

A nice little pack -?, internal or external.

Wait a couple years. Then- Luke is spot on.

Last edited:
Don't spoil that kid at 11. Get him something that works, but if I would have had the gear mentioned above at 11 I probably would have ended up overweight living in a van down by the river.......oh wait.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom