Backcountry Elk Horse Hunt Outfitter

Elkoholic87

I'm looking at doing something like this and wanted to bring my dad along and really get an experience of a lifetime. I'm undecided on whether it would be an archery or rifle hunt. Would love to get feedback from people who have done these hunts and the outfitters they used. I've been looking at Idaho for this.

I second the Thoroughfare hunt also. It’s a wilderness experience that should be on every hunters bucket list. It’s going to be a an eight hour twenty five mile horseback trip just to get to camp. You will also hunt off horses every day.

A lot of these are a General tag but still going to take around four preferences points to draw for NR.

It’s been over 15 years since I’ve been there and outfitters have changed so I don’t have an outfitter recommendation.

You should see deer, elk, grizzly, wolves and bighorn sheep.

Of course the Wyoming elk application draw is long past for this year so earliest you could go would be 2023.
In 2021 a few people drew with two points but by 2023 the points required will probably be three to four.

I'm looking at doing something like this and wanted to bring my dad along and really get an experience of a lifetime. I'm undecided on whether it would be an archery or rifle hunt. Would love to get feedback from people who have done these hunts and the outfitters they used. I've been looking at Idaho for this.
Not meant to dissuade you, but a few key questions. How old is your dad? What kind of physical shape, especially his knees? Does he ride often or at all?

You can do a similar horseback outfitter hunt with a shorter ride into camp. Thorofare is 6-10 hours on horseback. I have a Wyoming wilderness outfitter whose wilderness camp is only 4 hours in. Trust me if you don't ride horses 4 hours in a saddle is plenty. He is in a general unit with all the critters. PM me if you'd like additional information.

I would say the Thorofare as well if it was an option but it's not this year if that's your goal.

There are some pack in elk hunts in CO that I believe have over the counter tags. a few in OR as well but none are going to be trophy hunts.

You need at least a few points to get a better hunt and you came to the game too late for this year pretty much. you're going to have to decide how big of a hurry you're in to get much useful advice.

I have done a handful of these hunts in Wy and Montana and consider them the ultimate elk hunt. I am booked with Constant Quest for 2023 to finally hunt the actual thorofare. Other wilderness hunts that I have done have been great but yes the Thorofare is legendary and a bucket list hunt for me.
I think that most guys either love it or hate it when it comes wilderness horseback hunts. It's an adventure dealing with horses and griz and sometimes the weather.

I went on. Horse pack trip into the Unitas in Utah. There were a few good elk but the experience was awesome! No people for 10 days and into elk everyday. There were a few issues with the packers but we’ll worth the trip. We went 2 for 3 on OTC archery elk and could easily have been 3 for 3. One of my buddies passed a three yard shot on a small rag horn. I will go again one day with my son.

Show up with a Draft horse and 7 days worth of feed for it and your welcome to come. Nothing personally against big guys, but they are damn hard on horses in the mountains
No offense taken here. I’d never go with a guide any way but I certainly wouldn’t if I had to provide all my own stuff for it!!

Weight limit just surprised me. Those horses must not pack much elk….

The reason for the limit is a general rule of thumb. 20% of the animals weight is what it should be able to carry safely. 1200 pound animal, 240 rider and tack give or take.

No offense taken here. I’d never go with a guide any way but I certainly wouldn’t if I had to provide all my own stuff for it!!

They do. 2 horses typically for one mature bull. I’ve done it on one a number of times but it’s harder on them if it’s for a long distance in nasty country. Along with panniers with elk in them, loaded and tied down correctly where they won’t shift around rides a lot better than someone slouched in a saddle on them for 7 plus days.

They do. 2 horses typically for one mature bull. I’ve done it on one a number of times but it’s harder on them if it’s for a long distance in nasty country. Along with panniers with elk in them, loaded and tied down correctly where they won’t shift around rides a lot better than someone slouched in a saddle on them for 7 plus days.
To me this is a sign of good stock if the outfitter is willing to turn down a hunter or 2 over the corse of a career to keep his stock in good shape. Quality operation I'd venture to guess. Go with a fly by night outfit on a horseback wilderness hunt and it will be a trip you won't forget and not in a good way.

I resemble that big guy comment- 6'4" 240. I've been on plenty of horseback hunts on buddies stock. My one CO buddy has mules and those things just go and go- no problem with a fairly big dude like me. Other horses, I have to watch them, as long as they are in shape, no problem..

My Montana buddy shows up to our hunt with 7 head and plops me on this horse, his new name is 5 mile.

At about the 5 mile mark [and 2,000' of climbing starting at 8,000'] he pooped out on me- he literally collapsed. I walked him the last 3 miles, we set up camp then I heard, "The rest of the story"
301CB019-632D-43E1-AFD4-12CBE0D5449F_1_201_a.jpeg

He tells me the bought that horse at auction 2 weeks prior for $200. WTH? They rode his kid a couple times around the corral with his kid on his back and thought, 'He is good to go'. Nope, totally out of shape, wouldn't cross water, about killed me a couple times on the trail.

Needless to say, I was a little ticked off at my buddy....thats a rodeo waiting to happen...and it did.

I ended up booking an elk hunt with Yellowstone Outfitters in the Thorofare. The hunt is not until 2028, so hopefully I can get a hunt in before that and rebuild my points for the 2028 hunt.

You're not going to kill a booner but you're going to have a great time and get the type of hunt you're after. beautiful country and the largest roadless area in the lower 48 it doesn't get better than that.

You're not going to kill a booner but you're going to have a great time and get the type of hunt you're after. beautiful country and the largest roadless area in the lower 48 it doesn't get better than that.
Why do you say he wouldn't kill a booner? State record archery bull was killed out of that heard not that long ago

I ended up booking an elk hunt with Yellowstone Outfitters in the Thorofare. The hunt is not until 2028, so hopefully I can get a hunt in before that and rebuild my points for the 2028 hunt.
Ive hunted the Thorofare for many years. Still one of my all time favorite hunts.

Of course there's a chance at a booner , and you might get killed by falling space junk too. but the fact is the Thorofare isn't know for a huge bulls. but what easy to draw area is ? the quality of the experience will more than make up the lack of inches.

Of course there's a chance at a booner , and you might get killed by falling space junk too. but the fact is the Thorofare isn't know for a huge bulls. but what easy to draw area is ? the quality of the experience will more than make up the lack of inches.
Mostly true but we've shot 350 and 370 bulls. All DIY.

I was thinking the same thing!

I’m heading to Wyoming soon than I thought. I will be there next year! New Mexico in less than a month and Wyoming for 2023. The elk gods have been good to me.

I’m heading to Wyoming soon than I thought. I will be there next year! New Mexico in less than a month and Wyoming for 2023. The elk gods have been good to me.
That’s great!
Hope you have the adventure of your life. I’d love to hunt there someday, but everyone was booked out at least 5 years, at least the good ones. Gonna burn my Wyoming points next year in the bighorns.

Had the pleasure to hunt in the Frank Church back in 1997. The wolves had not yet taken over in the late 1990"s. Was in the 240# range (offshore diet) at the time. Managed to drop some weight prior to the pack in. Outfitter looked me over hard as he had 225# max as his standard. The 16 mile pack in was pretty rough on the stock, and my 230# ass. This Fantastic adventure has been a high point in my my hunting history. I did get comfortable on my rental horse #9. he was a fast walking steed that instilled confidence in my rookie self. I killed a dandy 6X5 bull on the afternoon of day one. The epic pack out was almost as cool as the September rifle kill. This was the best eating elk I have ever tasted. Only hope the unit will recover at some point for future generations. Truly beautiful place!

LaGriz

So how did your hunt go?
We would love to hear.
Well, I have to say it was probably the coolest thing I’ve ever done in my life and having my 73 year old dad there was what also made it special. I originally was scheduled for the September rifle hunt and was able to switch it to the archery hunt.

The drive into Wyoming was incredible, especially when we were driving through the park and the amount of buffalo that were grazing. The Tetons were a sight to behold.

The ride into camp was approximately 10 hours on horseback (30 miles). To say the ass was tender and sore is an understatement. Thankfully, we made a few stops along the way.

I believe it was the third or fourth morning where we had the most action at that point of the hunt. After tying up the horses, we bugled and had a response. We could tell this bull was not far, so we started to close some distance. The wind was perfect and we had a tiny group of small trees we were quickly moving towards. As soon as we made it to these trees, I see the bull and he’s coming out of the timber. Not having time to range him and not wanting him to see us, I guessed the yardage and doing an arrow at him perfectly broadside. I was certain I had hit him. He busted to our left in the open as we were now completely exposed to him. I went for another arrow and he was gone. After further investigation and searching for my arrow, I shot right over his back. I misjudged the distance, unfortunately after not having time to range him. It was definitely an awful feeling, knowing how great of an opportunity it was and it was even more of an awful feeling knowing that he was only 30 yards away, but my misjudgment resulted in a clean miss. I was thankful it was a clean miss, but the rest of the day was a battle with my brain as I replayed that scenario over and over in my mind. I must’ve averaged close to 5 days a week at the archery range, months in advance leading up to this hunt and I know my miss wasn’t because a lack of practice.

I had a couple other close encounters on some really nice bulls, but the wind had other plans in mind those days. Everyone in camp was great. The hunters, guides and the horses were awesome.

I didn’t end up punching my tag. I was hoping to make it three kills in three years, but that didn’t really bother me. I was able to go hunting where 99% of hunters will never likely step foot. This was a tru wilderness hunt the way it should be and to have my dad there and saying it may have been the coolest thing he’s ever done, was beyond worth it. It was hard to leave. It was nice to be there and forget about all the stuff that isn’t important in life and get reminded of what is. I can’t wait to go back.

IMG_1281.jpeg

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5834.jpeg

IMG_5814.jpeg

IMG_5743.jpeg

IMG_5774.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

IMG_5825.jpeg

IMG_5827.jpeg

IMG_5820.jpeg

Thanks for coming back with a report on your hunt.
That experience and time spent with your dad is priceless. You will remember and cherish that much more than an elk harvest. Yes, it would have been nice to have them both but you got the better portion.
Remind us again which outfitter you hunted with?

That looks like a great camp.

Very awesome that you and your pops were together. Cherish those moments.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom