Backfire Milk Jug Challenge

littlebighorn

Long Time Member
I'm surprised this has not come up, but I think it's a pretty fun and informative youtube watch.
The moderator of the Backfire youtube channel Jim Harmer, has put out a challenge for guys to hit milk jugs with hunting rifles in hunting conditions. ie wind, finding their own range, etc.
The first guy that came out was a former marine and he failed miserably. The next group of three other guys took up the challenge, including one big game guide and they were about 50 % hits. We are talking under 600 yards, and some misses under hunting conditions were more like 300 yds.
It's got the LRH Forum (Long Range Hunting) kinda speechless???
Now Eric Cortina who is a well known champion shooter is going to take it on. He's not even claiming he will hit them all.

It's a pretty telling challenge for most hunters to determine what is their real effective killing range is.

Last edited:
When I went to Utah last fall for my once in a lifetime elk hunt, the outfitter tried to talk me into shooting out to 800 yards. At the range, I can shoot a 3” group at 400, but told them I would not take a shot beyond 400. Passed on a bull at 600 yrds that would have scored better than the one I got, but I have no regrets.

I had a pretty severe angle down shot at 330 yrds, but virtually no wind. Worked out well. But I wont ever be shooting beyond 400 at any game animal. I have too much respect for them. And not enough confidence in my abilities when you throw in variables.

Are there guys that can do it? Sure. But not as many as try. The results of the YouTube challenge shouldn’t surprise anyone.

I Remember When LR Started Getting Popular Founder Piped Up & Said Something About Very Few People Could Hit A Target At 700 Yards(Going By Poor Memory,I Think It Was 700 Yards?)

Ya!

Put A Game Animal In The Picture & Watch The HELL Out!

And at the end of the video he asked them what their comfortable range of hunting was and 2 out of 3 said it was still 600. (I think 2 out of 3, I was skipping through it and can't remember exactly how they worded it).

My 12 year old practiced last summer and shot a deer at 475 with no wind and tons of time to set up. He then shot a cow elk at 375 that was a little more rushed as the herd was feeding away. With practice and perfect conditions 500 is our max.

Yes they can use range finders, but must do it on their own. No one calling their wind or range etc.
It's a pretty telling video for those who think they just gotta buy a turret scope and a range finder and they are good to go at 1K.
Huh, they need to shoot more. I range my own targets and call my own wind. And I’ll punch a milk jug inside 600. Maybe I’m special. Shot a fox in the back of his head at 450 a few months back off shooting sticks. All on my own, ranged him and everything. Cold bore. One shot. Dead

Huh, they need to shoot more. I range my own targets and call my own wind. And I’ll punch a milk jug inside 600. Maybe I’m special. Shot a fox in the back of his head at 450 a few months back off shooting sticks. All on my own, ranged him and everything. Cold bore. One shot. Dead

Then answer the challenge. Shoot some milk jugs with wind at 600. Picture/ video is worth 1000 words. But not on the flats. In the mountains and with some angle down or up and at least a 10 mph wind. And set up 10. Need to hit at least 9 of them.

Then answer the challenge. Shoot some milk jugs with wind at 600. Picture/ video is worth 1000 words. But not on the flats. In the mountains and with some angle down or up and at least a 10 mph wind. And set up 10. Need to hit at least 9 of them.
What’s the prize?

And also wouldn’t “hunting conditions “ just be that first cold bore shot? Iove it when guys go “ practicing” and by the 3rd or 4th shot there like “ man this thing is dialed” no it’s not. Cold bores what counts

My dad used to do a super environmentally unfriendly version of this, he would fill empty milk jugs and soda bottles with crankcase drainings rather than wasting milk. The black oil spray was impressive.....

My dad used to do a super environmentally unfriendly version of this, he would fill empty milk jugs and soda bottles with crankcase drainings rather than wasting milk. The black oil spray was impressive.....
LMAO.....that is hilarious....and..prison time in some jurisdictions today....lol

We always did water and food coloring in milk and Gatorade bottles. The spot we shot was 500 to about 650 across a draw and saddle. Wind often came up both draws to meet at the saddle. So sometimes 2 or 3 wind changes in the bullet path. Fun to watch with the sun behind us through a spotting scope.

We got pretty good at it. No turrets, no special marks in the scope, just a leupold vari-x II 3-9. Dope the wind and elevation.

I have a scope with dots made by premier reticles to match my ballistics out to 700 yards and I'm pretty comfortable out to that range. But have not killed or shot at a deer past about 650. Conditions have always dictated a closer move and shot.

I would shoot at one to 700 or maybe further if it was already hit but needed an anchor.

I can sit here and say I could do the challenge....but I'm not gonna try. Haha

I think it would be fun to do this challenge. Not because I think I can hit 100 out of 100. I’m certain I could not, even under the best of conditions.

It would be fun to test what my real limitations in a hunting scenario are. A bench rest shooting steel is very different than shooting in hunting conditions. My elk this year I took my time (probably several minutes) to get into a position I felt good enough about to pull the trigger, but I was certainly NOT comfortable physically when doing it. It was the best I could do in the circumstances and getting closer wasn’t an option at that point. So it was make that shot in that position work, or don’t take the shot. That scenario doesn’t come into play at the range. Ever.

So I think doing this would be fun, with no misgivings that I’m going to miss plenty under the circumstances shown in the videos.

What’s the prize?

$100

On a cold morning the first 2-3 shots should be right on. Then have to let the barrel cool for a bit. Just like when you go shooting at the range. In “real hunting conditions” you may have to shoot 2-3 times. My 3 shot 3” group at 400 was fired without much cooling between shots. But then I let it cool off before preceding.

Here is the best I ever did at the range from 400 yards. Shot twice: bang bang (2 holes down and to the left) then adjusted my scope and then shot the 3 shots in the red. I let the gun cool for 10 min between the first 2 and next 3 but no more than a couple minutes between the last 3 shot group. Both of those groups beat 3” but it was a good day to shoot!

IMG_8457.jpeg

And also wouldn’t “hunting conditions “ just be that first cold bore shot? Iove it when guys go “ practicing” and by the 3rd or 4th shot there like “ man this thing is dialed” no it’s not. Cold bores what counts
I actually suggested this on another site. Makes sense. mtmuley

I watched the "Backfire Milk Jug Challenge" video of this guy shooting the gallon milk jugs and I noticed something that struck me as a little odd? When we used to do this, there was a noticeable reduction in the "explosion" of the jug as the distance increased! If I shot a jug at 100 yards, it would almost vaporize the jug. When I shot a jug at 300 yards, there was noticeably less effect. Still very impressive, but noticeably less. This was consistent no matter what caliber I was shooting.
When I watched this video, there did not seem to be any reduction as the distance increased? Those jugs seemed to explode just as much at 530 yards as they did at 325 in his video???
Did anyone else notice the same thing? Or is my dimentia getting worse than I thought?

Elkchaser

Here is the best I ever did at the range from 400 yards. Shot twice: bang bang (2 holes down and to the left) then adjusted my scope and then shot the 3 shots in the red. I let the gun cool for 10 min between the first 2 and next 3 but no more than a couple minutes between the last 3 shot group. Both of those groups beat 3” but it was a good day to shoot!

View attachment 142466
So your cold bore shot was 2 1/2” - 3” down and left. That’s a dead buck and probably a dead milk jug. Good shooting. See, it is possible

If I were you though, I’d be real interested to see that rifles cold bore was consistently low and left. Shoot one shot at that range, and only one shot like three days in a row. That will tell you more about the shot that counts then the whole rest of that group

At Least he Didn't Change/Dump The Oil In The Dirt On The Side Of The Road,Right?

That Ain't SShhitt!

REDDOG Was Working On a 2 Mile Shooting Range Years Ago!

I'll Bet He's Probably Stretched It To 3 Miles Now!

He's Toasted More 30-378 Weatherby Barrels Than Anybody I Know Of Anywhere!

Hey Homer!

That's where The Warning Shots Come In!

The Gettin Them Moving Shots!

Kinda Like A Friend We Use To RAZZ For Ground Pounding Pheasants!

He Was Always Quick To Reply:

I Give Them 2 Chances On The Ground & One In The Air!

You are a 1000 yards away......if your cold shot sucks.....shoot three in the dirt next to your spotter.....not like you are going to startle your target......

You are a 1000 yards away......if your cold shot sucks.....shoot three in the dirt next to your spotter.....not like you are going to startle your target......
It’s funny but it’s true. I know a guy, owner of a rival web site here, had a moose tag in north Idaho. Glassed up a bedded bull at like 1200. Watched for a while. Just laying there. While he waited for it to stand up he took a practice shot at a stump just above him to check his dope. Bull didn’t flinch. When it stood up after a while he dropped him right back in his bed

It’s funny but it’s true. I know a guy, owner of a rival web site here, had a moose tag in north Idaho. Glassed up a bedded bull at like 1200. Watched for a while. Just laying there. While he waited for it to stand up he took a practice shot at a stump just above him to check his dope. Bull didn’t flinch. When it stood up after a while he dropped him right back in his bed
Take the challenge, Pickett

We would use 2-liter Mtn Dew plastic bottles filled with water and shoot them out to 400 yards.

That was fun.

Robb

Watermelon fields once the harvest was over and we would stick different color flags for the distances out to 400.
A vegan red mist

If I were you though, I’d be real interested to see that rifles cold bore was consistently low and left. Shoot one shot at that range, and only one shot like three days in a row. That will tell you more about the shot that counts then the whole rest of that group

This was sighting in new ammo, fired for the first time at 400. So it wasn’t that the cold bore shot down and to the left It was that I tweaked the sights to get it dialed in. The next time I shot a truly cold a barrel at 400, it was right on the bull.

And it was also on a clear blue sky day with zero wind and fired from a probe position on a perfectly flat shooting area.

Federal premium terminal ascent BTW. 155 gr from my 7 mag. My gun loved this ammo.

IMG_0341.jpeg

This was one bullet recovered from my elk at 330 yards. And that’s what the ballistic rangefinder said. But due to severe angle, maybe 350 from gun to elk?

Last edited:
I guess I also forget not everybody reloads. I can’t shoot factory ammo or factory rifles anymore. At the risk of sounding like a snob neither are good enough. I spend countless hours perfecting ammo to a specific rifle that’s built for a specific purpose. I’ll get flamed for saying it but oh well. Anything inside 600 with what I do is just plane easy

Last edited:
Yeah I got nothin to prove to anyone on here. You wanna come over to my house and argue with the wall there’s a bunch of heads hanging on it that have nothing better to do then listen

There is no doubt that shooters exist that can figure it all out in their head and the bullet goes where they want. Just like there are the Peyton Mannings. And then there are guys like me. 😁

I am not one of those shooters. It would be fun to try, but I would fail miserably. You may very well be one who succeed. I don’t disbelieve you, but I don’t take it on faith either. No disrespect, but I just don’t know you.

Just like the challenge, I just want to see someone (doesn’t have to be you) hit what they aim at, across a canyon, severe angle and a 15 mile an hour wind. I think that 95%+ of us will fail that test.

Youtube seems back up my opinion. There are tons of videos where the first shot misses. And some with multiple misses and a few hits which eventually bring down the animal. Successful? Ummmm, I wouldn’t call it that. And if there are lots that show people eventually bringing down an animal, how many videos don’t make the cut.

So I have no reason to doubt you can do as you say, but my belief is that is much more rare than we are being led to believe. It may all “just be physics” but most of us don’t measure up under field conditions.

I think it’s great that people take the time to try to perfect their craft, regardless of what it is. I appreciate greatness in all walks of life. I’d love to see JPickett show his stuff.

I really enjoy watching the best do what they do.

Take the challenge jpickett. It would be cool to see a resident MM alum be the one to pass the test.

I think it’s great that people take the time to try to perfect their craft, regardless of what it is. I appreciate greatness in all walks of life. I’d love to see JPickett show his stuff.

I really enjoy watching the best do what they do.

Take the challenge jpickett. It would be cool to see a resident MM alum be the one to pass the test.
Out of all the response I've seen on different sites, Jpickett is the most confident. Get some Pickett. mtmuley

How Many Guys Have Never Missed A Shot In Their Lives?

I've heard It!

And I Tell them All The Same Thing!

Evidentally You Haven't Done Much Shooting In Your Life!

Pisses Em Off every time!

I would like to see the challenge with a little more time between shots. Maybe 2 min per shot? Firing 5 shots in 5 min is pretty dang quick. I hope that most people don’t take a 600-800 yd shot at game unless they have time to figure out all the parameters.

I realize animals may not give you much time, but ethical hunters would pass on shooting if they only have 30 seconds figure out the shot at distance.

Increase the time to 10 min and they might do better

I would like to see the challenge with a little more time between shots. Maybe 2 min per shot? Firing 5 shots in 5 min is pretty dang quick. I hope that most people don’t take a 600-800 yd shot at game unless they have time to figure out all the parameters.

I realize animals may not give you much time, but ethical hunters would pass on shooting if they only have 30 seconds figure out the shot at distance.

Increase the time to 10 min and they might do better
I thought the organizers considered this a practical hunting exercise…..not target shooting.

I thought the organizers considered this a practical hunting exercise…..not target shooting.

They did. There def should be a time limit to simulate real hunting conditions. But I would hope that most people would pass a 600-800 yrd shot if they only had 60 seconds. When you are that far away and game is not spooked, you should have more time, on the first shot at least. Maybe wishful thinking.

They did. There def should be a time limit to simulate real hunting conditions. But I would hope that most people would pass a 600-800 yrd shot if they only had 60 seconds. When you are that far away and game is not spooked, you should have more time, on the first shot at least. Maybe wishful thinking.
Eh, if you are practiced and really know your equipment it does not take very long to get off an accurate shot. A lot of guys are messing with rangefinder settings, wind meters, dope charts, bipod settings, scopes they don’t use often enough, wiggling around, etc. when you actually practice how you hunt, 60 seconds is quick but not unrealistic. Personally I’d take more time watching the wind for the first couple minutes and then quickly shoot my 5 shots before conditions change.

FWIW on another popular forum they do a cold bore challenge..should be June this year. One shot at your self proclaimed max range, in the field, no benches, using your hunting rifle. Then repeat it another day. Have to claim your max and then post your shot. Great practice and helps you be realistic. Easy to “forget” the first shot of the day missing..hard to forget when that one shot is all you get!

I do pretty good out to 400, as seen above, when conditions are ideal. I even have a dope sheet taped on the gun out to 600 yards in case I need to make a follow up shot. But my guides in Utah were like: with that group at 400 yards, you will be fine out to 800. And tried to convince me to push my limit. Every time they said something like that, I stately that 400 was my max for the first shot. To their credit, opening morning when a shooter appeared at 600, they didn’t push me to shoot.

I will also say this. I think when you shoot from 200 yards and you hit an animal, but you don’t find it, it affects you more than one you don’t find at 800 yards. You don’t see the pain you caused up close and personal.

Maybe he wasn’t wounded that bad! Maybe I missed and just thought I hit him. Or maybe there is no sign of a hit after the shot before he disappears. At 200 yards most people will go check for signs of a hit. But 800 yrs across a canyon? Well, I probably missed…..

I have hit quite a few animals that showed no sign of a hit after the shot that were found 100 yrds at the end of a blood trail. From 800 yards (down a canyon and back up the other side) how many people just say they missed. Ever heard any stories about a guy blasting away and then he left and someone else found the elk? I have.

Last edited:
longest shot i've ever taken on game i watched that buck for 45 minutes. initially when i glassed him up i wasn't even considering shooting. but that particular day all the conditions were perfect.

i glassed all the ridges between us and watched the wind for like i said 45 minutes. there was essentially no cross wind. the buck was feeding broad side and i had a rock solid rest prone to shoot from. i dry fired on him 3 times. made one last check of everything ( for like the 20th time) and squeezed off my shot.

968 yards and i watched him drop straight down in my scope. i could probably hunt that same spot again 100 times and not have the right conditions to take that shot. that day i did. was it a milk jug? no. was there a little hole right high shoulder where i was aiming yes. his heart was mush when i opened him up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom