Backpack 2 man tent

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Looking for suggestions for a decent, not-expensive backpacking tent...either with lightweight poles or ones to use trekking poles....thanks for the advice.

dont waste your money on a tent that sets up with trekker poles. You're pretty old and you need those poles to get around. Plus they just suck. And im not talking about the sucking of air the old people do when they climb up the mountain. Sucking like they are worthless and really don't save any weight kinda suck.

dont waste your money on a tent that sets up with trekker poles. You're pretty old and you need those poles to get around. Plus they just suck. And im not talking about the sucking of air the old people do when they climb up the mountain. Sucking like they are worthless and really don't save any weight kinda suck.
Be nice...

Mountainsmith mountain shelter LT probably saved our lives this past summer during an overnight thunderstorm. Does its job and a street price of $70 on the ‘slide.
take the poles with you if you must ?

Mountainsmith mountain shelter LT probably saved our lives this past summer during an overnight thunderstorm. Does its job and a street price of $70 on the ‘slide.
take the poles with you if you must ?
thats a glorified tarp. Hell save 50 dollars and take a nice tarp from your local hardware store for that price ;) ;) :D

thats a glorified tarp. Hell save 50 dollars and take a nice tarp from your local hardware store for that price ;) ;) :D
I appreciate its simplicity.. the Taj Mahal it is not...but it did surprisingly well in some horrendous winds and horizontal rain. Problem comes when you try to bring along a third (small) person like we did on another trip. Wrong tent for that job even with a tarp kicker hanging off the side ?

Firstly, I am not old.
Secondly, I wouldn't leave my tent erect if I needed to use the trekking poles, silly.
So, you think a tent with light poles is the way to go? I def want something with a floor and I really don't care if it weighs 3 1/2 pounds or 4 1/2 pounds....I'm not old so 1 pound won't bother me much.
I appreciate the advice. I will def look into what has been mentioned. Thought about a teepee style but don't like the idea of no vents/condensation.

I hate to see anyone buy an inexpensive tent if they expect to use it repeatedly. No one ever needs a tent until the day it craps out. You might consider buying a higher quality tent, used. Some folks "need" the best stuff, and turn over lightly used equipment on the cheap. Check ebay. MSR makes good tents, but they are the very sort that many upgrade to. Nemo and Marmot are more reasonably priced as you will not pay a premium for the very lightest weight materials with some models.

Last edited:
Quit Being CHEAP Wisz!

JUDAS!

You Don't Look For CHEAP When Buying Ms Wisz Something Do You?

You Ain't Taking it All With You!

So Buy QUALITY!

If You Can Find it!

Honestly check out the kuiu or black diamond tents. They are reasonably priced and close to the weight you desire…

I like one that doesn't have much moisture build up and airs out nicely plus with a view

Robb

tumblr_o9f2zpjaZr1sdxszuo1_1280.jpg

You will also be sorry down the road if you buy a 2 person tent for 2 people. Buy at least 1 extra person than you will need. 2 people = 3 person tent. 3 people= 4 person tent. The only exception to that rule is if you take Pleasedear’s friend :)

2 person tent only has room for 2 people, an NO gear

Last edited:
I have an old Eureka tent that has served me well over the years. It weighs about 7 pounds. I have to put seam sealer on the fly once in awhile. I can see now I need to upgrade to a "hot tent"

Robb- Not interested in that tent at all...probably waaaaay too expensive and the maintenance on that thing is probably way beyond my ability!

I am looking for a 2 man tent just for me and extra space for gear, cooking in case weather hits. I appreciate all the reply's so far.

Big Agnes Copper Spur is probably the best lightweight tent for what you need. They are a little pricey but are super light weight.

If you want to jump down to a budget tent (and add a little weight) Kelty tents can offer the best bang for your buck.

Look for a tent with aluminum poles. Fiberglass means cheap heavy tent.

Firstly, I am not old.
Secondly, I wouldn't leave my tent erect if I needed to use the trekking poles, silly.
So, you think a tent with light poles is the way to go? I def want something with a floor and I really don't care if it weighs 3 1/2 pounds or 4 1/2 pounds....I'm not old so 1 pound won't bother me much.
I appreciate the advice. I will def look into what has been mentioned. Thought about a teepee style but don't like the idea of no vents/condensation.
Usually when I leave my tent erect my wife takes care of it for me...just sayin

I have a nice north face with aluminum poles. I rode out a few stormy nights in the sheep peaks praying that thing was a Faraday cage. :oops:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom