Backpack, bow haul, and water purifier

T

TCR1

well, I am trying to get everything set up for my first archery elk hunt. This hunt will also be my first overnight experience. I will be hiking up a steep drainage (1.5 miles) to my camp spot. I do not anticipate carrying a lot of water, so I will be needing a puryfier for drinking water. Is there one that hunters prefer over others? Also, I have never had to carry camp on my back and a bow at the same time. What methods have you all tried to pack your bow in and leave your hands free? I have seen packs with "holsters", but I do not want to spend money on a pack since I already have a nice backpacking set up. It seems like a holster could be designed to attach to the daisy chains of a standard pack.
Also, I have never liked bow mounted quivers. I usually carry a cat quiver, but wa sinterested in trying some other things. Have any of you tried the hip quiver systems. What do you think of them?

Anyway any info would be appreciated.

I just pack up my backpack with the stuff and then hold the bow in my hand and start hiking. I don't like the quivers or anything.

Mountain.gif

As for water, I use a PUR backpacking water filter. It's small, lightweight, and you can pump a liter of water in about 1 minute with a new filter. It gets slower as the filter is used. I got mine about 5 years ago at an REI sale for around $50. I think they regularly sell for around $70, but they are definitely well worth the money. Saving the weight of packing in water is priceless.

As for carrying the bow, I have a soft bowcase from Cabela's that I can either sling over my shoulder, carry in my hand, or with a little ingenuity, strap to my pack.

Your trip sounds like alot of fun. Me and a buddy are doing the same thing for deer this this year and I cant wait. We have been using the PUR filter(a.k.a. Katadyn) it works great and is a little easier to mantain than a ceramic filter in my opinion. As for carrying our bows--bungee cords and strap it to the pack. Good luck!

TCR1-
I use the PUR (Katadyn) Hiker water purifier. Works great, and the filters are supposed to last for 200 gallons. I'd also pick up some iodine tablets for backup/emergency. I had to resort to those at one point last year. Water tastes terrible after that, but it's better than getting sick. I just carry my bow so I can manuever it around trees, shrubs, etc so I don't accidentally smack it into anything while I'm hiking.

No substitute for experience. Make the overnight trip once or twice before the hunt begins. Take into consideration that the pack-out with an elk will be much harder, plus 400 pounds. Do yourself a favor and learn how to de-bone an elk.

You can't beat a PUR water purifier.

I bought a hip quiver before last years hunt and adapted it to strap onto my day pack. It worked out great. As to the bow, I use a bow sling and hang it over the aluminum posts on my old metal frame pack that I still use after twenty five years.

ELKCHSR

My back pack has a place to strap my bow on but I would rather use a bow sling, then if by chance opertunity come's I am rdy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom