Backpack suggestions for Christmas

nvguy2

Wondering what suggestions you guys have. I own an old Camelbak that has a torn strap. Thinking of upgrading if my wife is good to me this Xmas. Don’t need anything with a frame. Would like one with a water bladder. Needs to be big enough to store my essentials which include my knives, Wyoming saw, Gamebags, rope, flashlight or 2. Maybe a big compartment to throw a jacket and a spotting scope in. Just the basics. Not sure you guys consider this a daypack or not. I know Badlands has some options out there, but haven’t researched this in awhile and wondering what suggestions or advice is out there from any of you. Thanks in advance for any help.

My vote goes for Kifaru all the way! You can customize with pockets, lids, and other accessories to your like. Once you have a Kifaru frame you can interchange different bags. The frames don't weigh much. My preference is a larger volume bag. I can cinch the bag down to the frame when unloaded and have there's enough room to haul out 100 lb+ loads. When scouting with a spotting scope, tripod and a little gear I hardly notice I have it on my back because the frame is so comfortable. With the same load in a daypack my back and shoulders will be sore at the end of each day. While hunting I can pack out an entire mule deer or first elk 1/4 the first load rather than having to return to get a larger volume pack.

I’ll take a look at them. Thank You! Looks like if I go with the Badlands, it’s either the Superday, Diablo Dos or the 2200. Anybody have any experience with those?See Amazon has a Kings Mountain Top that doesn’t look too bad either.

I’m not sure how anyone could honestly recommend a pack without more info. What style of hunting do you do? Walk to the edge from the truck and glass? Walk 3 miles back but always go back to a truck camp? Honestly need more details.

And most important $$$. What price range you looking in?

Kifaru’s are nice no doubt but they only have a 30 day warranty. Not sure if I was to spend around 700+ I would be ok with that.

I’ll second the Kuiu packs. I’m currently running the Divide 1200 as my main day pack.

I’ve had several Badlands packs and I’m always disappointed in them - overpriced crap.

Does the OP haul out meat on his back? Or is he more of a tag and drag kind of guy? So many questions.

I’ve never understand how people stress a “day” pack. My day pack is also my 12 day pack. Keep it simple. Oh but the extra weight or bulk? Grow up Nancy!!!

Soo sorry for not being more specific. So, sometimes my pack sits it’s ass in the truck and I’m a lazy pos. That said, I really like having most my gear together in one spot so I know where it’s at. Sometimes I just hike into a canyon and take it so I have all my essentials in case I get something down. Sometimes I pack in further. When I do, I tie my backpack to my pack frame so I have a frame. No, I don’t pack in for days. Yes, I always come back to truck or camp. As far as $$$. Was hoping less than $400. Something to carry a hydration bladder and big enough for essentials I stated. Cameras, knives, snacks, gamebags, Wyoming saw, rope,etc. Maybe a large compartment for a hoodie and spotting scope. Hope that’s more specific. Let me know if you need more specifics. Was just looking for a little input on what people have used in the field. Sorry for the confusion.

it depends on what type of hunting you'll be doin
overnight 1 to 3 days, or day pack ?
your best bet is to go look at all they have to offer.
think of, if you kill can you hall out all or the majority of the meat with all your gear in 1 trip, or do you make an extra trip for the rest.
Think of worst case scenario. (is it raining or snowing)
is always smart go in light come out heavy ( not saying anything here) but I've done it.
I've owned several different packs and carry to much gear (SH!#) on the way in and not used any of it, but I been in those situations when I've needed just what i took TOO. FML. tell your wife to buy more than 1, for each situation. don't forget all the gear you'll need for each pack (BONUS)
good luck

I have the Mystery Ranch Metcalf and 3 Day Assault bags. I think the 3 Day Assault may suit your needs. It's large enough to hold all of the items you listed plus it has molle webbings to attach additional holsters and smaller bags. There's also an inner pouch for a 3 liter water bladder. I use it primarily for long hikes but came in really handy for hauling groceries when I was in Japan.

It also has a waist belt which is normally hidden but available in case you really decide to pack in a bunch of heavy supplies and gear.

I run a seek outside breakaway 4800 fortress pack. It's the only pack I have now and I've sold all my other packs/bags( kuiu, badlands, Cabela's, and tenzing) I use it as a day pack, packing out meat, and I've used it for back pack hunts. It's a very simple pack that's can have accessories added to it. It's also a very comfortable pack. I've packed some heavy loads with it and never have any bruising or hot spots.

I would recommend a kuiu 4000 bag frame. It’s 479 so a little outside your budget but you can find promo codes usually or watch for a sale.

Another option are the osprey packs. Great packs! In your price range too. They don’t come in camo so your hunting buddies will look at you weird.

Mystery Ranch has a pack for pretty much any situation. Check there website and see what might work for you.

My MountainSmith Lariat 65 has a lot of miles on it and I’d probably go with another just like it. Lightweight pack, and simple, but can handle the heaviest loads I can carry.

I don't really hunt anymore but you should look at the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 pack. It goes from day pack to meat hauler in one pack. Like you said in case you get one, would be a nice option to take a load out on the first trip, but still have a small day pack feel.

I bought my boy a Mystery Ranch pop up 28 and really like it. LIght weight, a few pockets to orgainze, plenty of room for scope and jackets and esentials and then if you do need to pack a quarter out it will handle this just fine as well.

I’ll check them out. Thanks for the replies from everyone. I checked out the mystery ranch lineup. Look like decent packs. I’ll check out that horn Hunter xl.

$400 for a day pack.? Honestly, for less than $80 you can get day packs from Cabela's, Sportsman's and even Walmart. Water bladder, decent longevity. No frame. Plenty of room for the stuff you've mentioned.

In 2015 I ran to Walmart at like 10pm, the night before was leaving to go shed hunting for the first time. Bought a water bladder day pack for like $50. Still have it, still use it for all my shed hunts, hiking and day hunting excursions. Its not for packing meat, just the essentials you've mentioned.

What could you do with the other $350..?

$400 for a day pack.? Honestly, for less than $80 you can get day packs from Cabela's, Sportsman's and even Walmart. Water bladder, decent longevity. No frame. Plenty of room for the stuff you've mentioned.

In 2015 I ran to Walmart at like 10pm, the night before was leaving to go shed hunting for the first time. Bought a water bladder day pack for like $50. Still have it, still use it for all my shed hunts, hiking and day hunting excursions. Its not for packing meat, just the essentials you've mentioned.

What could you do with the other $350..?
You must not find much.

If budget is a factor, +1 for branching out of hunting brand backpacks. It seems to me that companies can get away with charging extra money as soon as anything is painted camo. Don't get me wrong, in my opinion the top of the line hunting backpacks are great products and (mostly) worth the money, but for the needs you described, I would recommend a Marmot.

I was gifted a Marmot backpack 10 years ago and have used it pretty much at least once a month since then for random things like camping, hiking, luggage, etc and it has held up incredibly well.

This isn't the backpack I have, but looks like the biggest option and plenty to hold the stuff you listed.

My brother struggled with the kifaru he sent it back twice never could get it to fit right. Went kuiu and loves it.

I’ll second the idea of a high quality frame/bag combination that can use bigger or smaller bags on it. I happen to use Seek Outsides frame and I’ve got three different bags for it, a merlin day pack, Peregrine, and Goshawk. Any one of these will allow you to pack out a load saving you that trip back to camp to switch. The obvious drawback are initial price.

I've had a number of different packs, kuiu is my favorite. Just get one of the bigger bags and use it for a day pack as well. Only weighs a pound or so more, and then you have the option of making that a multi-day pack.

I run a Stone Glacier Sky 5900 for all of my hunts and would not want a smaller pack, not even for day hunts. With my general gear, spotter, tripod, game bags, and clothing a smaller pack would be too small. Nice thing about it is being able to cinch it down when there's not much in it and expand the load shelf out when it's time to pack a leg out!!

I don't really hunt anymore but you should look at the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28 pack. It goes from day pack to meat hauler in one pack. Like you said in case you get one, would be a nice option to take a load out on the first trip, but still have a small day pack feel.
Agree that is a great pack.

Thanks for all the replies. Wasn’t expecting to get so many. That Mystery Ranch lineup looks good. By the time I could research it and possibly let my wife know, she already got my Xmas gift. Thought it might be a backpack so I held off. Apparently she hit my sister in law and brother up about it and they told her to get Badlands SuperDay pack. Did our Xmas early and that’s what she got soo I’m going to give it a try. Thanks again for all the replies. I appreciate it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom