Backpack?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-19 AT 01:44PM (MST)[p]I'm in the market for a new backpack but have a few concerns about all the different types out there. I'm 65 and allot of the packs weigh 7 pounds or more. For the young guy thats not a problem but as you get older all that weight you haul takes it toll. I don't want to stop backpack hunting but don't want to haul the house on my back. I have a Badlands 2800 and it weighs allot already. But its getting pretty beat up and a change is needed. Requirements: Has to be able to carry a rifle, has to be able to carry a small tent, lightweight sleeping bag, spotting scope and last of all carry out the boned out meat on the trip back to the truck. One trip in and out. I've looked at the Alps commander but looking for other ideas. Thanks (3 day pack trips.)

Look at the KUIU packs I have the older ICON 5200 it weighs 5 # s without the top bag which I have never used. will haul rifle or bow. All the gear you need for a 3 day hunt & the suspension system is awesome . I looked a few days ago at an ad they sent me they now have several new packs available I am sure in the 5 plus years I have had mine they have cut their weight down

Backpacks are a lot like boots, I think different packs fit body types different. If you can try on a few and see which one is most comfortable. I? have an Exo and you can load it down pretty heavy but it is super comfy and carries the weight well. Good luck there's a lot of excellent packs out there

+1 for Seek Outside from me. Just bought mine this last hunting season and have loved it. They have several options that would fit what you're looking for. I'd also recommend calling into them and ask for Nathan. He'll be able to answer all your questions and set you up with the pack that'll be right for you.

Congrats to you mickeyelk for still being able to go at it at like that at 65.

If you can still pack out your whole camp and boned out meet in one trip, I'm not sure 2-3 pounds on a back pack should be your biggest concern. After finding the volume you need, I would put pack comfort as the top priority followed by pack weight second when calculating a winner.

Something I have found out after all these years, yes, the extra weight of the pack and other things added do have an effect on my backpacking. Example: I have a Badlands 2800 that weighs about 5 pounds. My normal items in the pack are 6 bungy cords, spotting scope (Swarovski 80mm and tripod), 2 water bottles, shells, and a little food. Now that weighs in at 18-19 pounds. When I'm just scouting with my BS backpack that weighs 1 1/2 pounds with food and water bottles it weighs 6 pounds or less. Being older the less you pack the easier the walk. With the second pack I do hills allot faster and have a longer trip I can take. But that large pack is way harder. Also when I hunt I have to carry that large pack with me everywhere I go and the weight takes it tool. Remember, packing out is mainly a downhill task, that is where I hunt in the Ruby's in Nevada. I have just completed a Mountain Goat hunt in The Ruby's in Nevada this past October. I have an app on my cell phone that counts steps I have taken. I know its not real accurate but, I added my steps up after my hunt ended and it said I had taken 177,000 + steps. Thats about 70 plus miles. This is with that Badlands 2800 on my back. So any little weight I can save is a plus. Sorry about my rant, but I really would like to get a better pack, yes more comfort is good, but one that weighs allot less. I don't have lots of years left to hunt like I do now and I think less weight and a good way to haul out the boned out meat would save me and my legs. I have looked at the Seek Peregrine and it seems to be one that I may get. Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom