Backpack?

bucks

I am looking at getting a new pack,I want it to be large enough for a couple of days out,I have looked at stone glacier Sky Archer 6400 And Mystery Ranch Marshall,
Any one have either one ,and would like to comment on how you like or dislike either.
Thank,s

When they cut the weight they cut the durability. I have no experience with the one brand but there is no way I would buy the other. Rather a pack weigh a couple lbs more for peace of mind that it’s not going to break in the field and I’ll get 10+ years out of it…

No experience with SG or MR. I had an eberlestock for 3 years and much of the stitching and fabric was worn out and/or torn. The kifaru I've had for 10ish years and it's still in great shape. In my opinion, Kifaru is far and away higher quality and much more comfortable. It's definitely on the heavy side. Like SS said though, it's a trade off for durability. Lightweight is great until the gear fails. I have the duplex lite frame with fulcrum and stryker xl bags. The stryker bag is an excellent 1-3 day bag. The fulcrum is huge. It's large enough for a week or so. The fulcrum will easily haul two elk quarters too.

Jim

Have a SG with the Xcurve frame. For a couple of days out, it hands down is more than adequate.

It wasn't an accident that I went with SG over Kifaru when I "bought once and cried once".

If you don’t hunt much the lighter pack could possibly work for you. But even then it’s a gamble.

The Mystery Ranch Marshall may be overkill for 2 days. It's their largest pack. I have the Metcalf (one size smaller) and it can easily hold enough gear and food for 3-5 days in the mountains.

As far as the Metcalf, it's great. Has treated me well, is very durable and is perfect for what I do which is mostly backpacking into the mountains for archery hunts. Whatever you get, just make sure it's sized and adjusted for your frame otherwise it will be a miserable experience.

With Mystery Ranch, you might as well figure that the side-mounted water bottle holders will last one trip. My thoughts are that they are cheaply constructed.

I have owned many backpacks and still have several. Today's trend is to lighten them up and everyone goes wow I want it. I have an Osprey Aether 60 L backpack, a Kelty which isn't comfy but is strong, another smaller Kelty also not tvat comfy and a new Granite Gear Crown 60 L.
The Osprey is heavy- almost 6 lbs but is comfy , centers the weight well, will hold almost any payload and will last a very long time.
My Granite Gear is light but won't hold heavy loads but I will use it for fast lightweight backpacking trips ( fishing).
Buy a comfortable and strong pack which will weigh on the heavy side and will help you get the game out without causing you pain.

There are some valid points brought up. I went with a KUIU due to a good price and the weight. Yeah, I know that those two words are dangerous.
I am concerned about “failures” but it seems to be working well, so far. I’ve heard great things about kifaru and SG.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom