Backpacking/ Fishing in the Uintahs

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
Our youngest kids, 5 year old twin boys are finally ready to go backpacking with us. We are looking for their first trip to go 2-3 miles in and be able to camp and fish on streams and lakes. Thanks for any suggestions. We are planning on going mid July.

granddaddy lakes is a good one to start with. If i remember right its 3 miles and fairly easy. another really good one is red castle lake. it is I think 14 miles each way, but mostly flat.

We just got back from Cliff Lake. The wife and I rock climbed and fished and hiked to one of the high peaks. The boy fished and rested.
The fishing wasn’t real good and the mosquitoes were bad, but the rock climbing and hike were good. Short backpack trip though.
Still fun. Better than sitting home.

204E10B7-DA5E-4B8B-B144-AD8B19D84F3F.jpeg
EA788F94-7C48-4822-80B5-9DD0E5CD7970.jpeg

Hey shg!

You've got the Right idea!

Anywhere here recently that You can Drive to is Invaded with More People than I've ever seen!

JUDAS!

Hiking in a ways will be well worth the other options even if You Don't go in too far!

I did this photo/scouting thread for over on the Bowsite, although it is more about elk hunting there is some good intel on trail heads and distance to lakes ect.

Maybe kill 2 birds with 1 stone for ya, fishing with the kids and getting to know a new elk hunt area

Robb

There are several small lakes with good fishing , within a relatively mild mile or two hike from trial lake.

Notch lake is a good one for kids. I just got back from there with my 4 year old girl. No streams to fish and the lake was low. Fishing was descent but the shore line is muddy so you have to access the lake from the rocky areas. About 6 miles round trip, 600 vertical feet elevation lose and gain. 8” brook trout with a few surprises if your lucky. We camped on the south side of the lake. I have herd that it is busy on the weekend’s. We went on a Monday and Tuesday and had the place nearly to ourselves.
010D4C12-E4D4-44E2-A2E8-A46A669A6870.jpeg

Not too sure but if I remember right Mirror Lake is not too far into the mountains. I used to catch Grasshoppers on the hike in and then use them for bait. It's been years since I was up there I sure would like to hear if the lake is still what it was

I fished Mirror Lake last year and we caught a fair amount of fish from the shore. They were all small planter rainbows and a few small tiger trout. I figured that for a big lake that the fish would have more size to them. I did not see any of the float tub guys catching any fish. To many people around for me so I will stick to the lakes that take some effort to get too. Just my opinion.

I fished Mirror Lake last year and we caught a fair amount of fish from the shore. They were all small planter rainbows and a few small tiger trout. I figured that for a big lake that the fish would have more size to them. I did not see any of the float tub guys catching any fish. To many people around for me so I will stick to the lakes that take some effort to get too. Just my opinion.
I do like eating brookies their the best......

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom