Backpacking Gear

bragabit

I am looking at getting setup for some backpack type hunting. I am looking for advice on where to buy good quality items and things that you may be able to go a little cheaper. I will be hunting high country in the middle of Sept. Then some lower country into mid Oct.
Mostly it will be for 1-3 day stays.
Sleeping bag: What temp rating would you recommend? What is an acceptable weight?
Tent: One-Two-Three Man? Bivy, Regular, hybrid of both? Acceptable weight?
Water Filter: Pump, drops, any other good options?
Pad: Air? Foam? Needed?
Stove: Brand? Type of Fuel?
Any other good advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

i do a 2 man tent for a little extra room. jet boil stove is nice for me. yes you need a pad and buy a nice one there and a pillow. i do a 0 degree bag and i have the square bottom, hard for me to sleep in the mummy style. I do a hand pump for water.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if it was worth the extra pound to go down to a 0-5 degree bag. For a 2man tent, 0 degree bag and pad, Is 10 pounds about what I should expect? I don't have $1000 to buy the super light name brand stuff.

Hey,
All great questions.
We have a packing list, that even recommends what kind of gear to use.
Shoot me an PM. or IM, with your email address and I will send it over.

Check out ccoutdoorstore.com-they have great deals at times. They were having a great sale on Big Agnus sleeping pads a few days ago.

Sleeping bags- I use a 15 degree bag into late Oct. Its too warm when I use it in July/Aug. but it beats buying 2 bags. When its super cold, a high R value pad with a 3-4 season tent helps hold the heat as well. I have slept warm down to a confirmed 5 degrees with my setup. I bet I could push it into the negatives and still be ok. One tip to get away with a lighter sleeping bag is the Sea to Summit bag liners. They are pricey, but some add up to 15+ degrees of warmth. They pack very small and weigh next to nothing.
Down bags pack smaller and usually cost more, but if they get wet, they loose all warmth. Synthetic maintains heat when wet and usually does not cost as much as down does.

Shelter is personal preference. I like my double wall tent most of the time. But If the forecast is warm and clear, I sleep under the stars on my tent footprint. When I pack my tent, I use a bigger 1 man, (I call it a man and a half) Its great for me and all my gear if needs be. I have even slept 2 in it, but it was very tight. If you go the tent route, think about the vestibule size. They are nice to cook under if its raining, or just to put boots or other gear under. Another thought for a single man tent is the interior height, you will want to at least be able to sit up in it. Other wise you might as well go for a bivy.
I would think a tarp would be slick, but they cost as much as solid tents do. Some people really like hammocks too.

Water I use a pump, and pack tablets just in case. I like clean tasting water.

Pad, I use a Synmat 7, its almost 3" thick and has a very high R value. It weighs more than most, but its comfy, and I sleep good on it. If you don't sleep well, your worthless the next day. More weight is worth sleep for me. If you can sleep on a thin pad, more power to you.
You loose most of your heat from the ground as your sleeping bag fill lofts up around you while sleeping, leaving almost no insulation under you.

I use a Brunton butane stove. Has never let me down. It packs up tiny too.

As far as weight, you will find you get what you pay for. Lightweight stuff is not cheap. When you start to compare different brands/models you will see what you are up against.

Good luck researching all this stuff- there are many good products to look at.

I use a pump for my water. 0 degree bag hasnt froze me yet. With a aircore pad. On cold nights if Im chilled, Ill wear my base layer to sleep in as well. I like a tent, tempted to go with less but like the security of if the weather craps out got a decent shelter to head back to. Pillow, I take a pillow case and put a coat or clothes in it. Jetboil stove has worked well for me.

I like the Big Agnes stuff...lightweight, packable, and durable. I have a Fly Creek UL2 tent, a Lost Ranger Bag, and I use a Thermarest Trekker for a pad. Jetboil Stove. I try to stay as minimalistic as possible weight-wise.

You can Google prices on this gear and find some great deals.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I just emailed you the list.

We have developed it over YEARS of hiking and hunting.
Hope it helps.
If you use the right stuff, and add the right food. You can do a 5 day trip with about 50 pounds.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-13 AT 07:06PM (MST)[p]I have about decided on this sleeping bag. It may be a little heavy but for price and features it looks like a good deal and gets good reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Northstar-Tactical-Coretech-Sleeping-Black/dp/B008GS3SMA
This is the water filter I am looking at. Again good reviews and a good price
http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Vario...3728803&sr=1-2&keywords=katadyn+water+filters
Sleeping pad: I am leaning toward this one. Not the highest R-rating, or most comfortable. I like the idea of using it as a chair while glassing and not worrying about popping it.
http://www.amazon.com/Therm--Z-Lite...id=1363741138&sr=8-1&keywords=therma+rest+pad
I am still not even close on a figuring out tents. Does anyone have experience with a NorthFace Tadpole? Or a Catoma Stealth1? What are the most impotant things to look for? Selfstanding, large vestible, height, weight?
Backpacks: Do most of you pack in another daypack to hunt with?
Thanks for the help, just trying to get the best bang for my buck here?

I just saw a great buy on a tent through DealNews. 2 man, trail weight at 4 lbs for $179.00

Remember this, you can add so much stuff that you'll need a truck to carry it. I know bowhunt, aka Mike, knows his stuff. Look close at his list and follow his advice.

Good luck, it sounds fun!

Zeke

I've often wondered about carrying day packs also. If you backpack in to hunt with a pack that weighs close to 50ibs, a daypack won't work. So does everyone also bring a daypack with them along with their backpack? If so, how do you carry a back pack while also carrying a day pack?

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning
conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife,
and the conservation of all our natural resources,
are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and
method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall
be exploited by the few against the interests of the
majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural
resources for the public as a whole, for the
average man and the average woman who make
up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give
reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the
skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of
means."

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-13 AT 09:48PM (MST)[p]No 2nd pack for me. If I'm going for more than 5 days or a decent distance in, I take a larger pack (badlands 4500 or Eberlestock V69) The detachable fanny pack from the 4500 works great for this situation.
If I'm going for under 5 days or only a few miles in, I use a day pack to pack in with. When I leave camp, I take the pack with me. You have to get crafty when packing in a small pack, especially when you kill an animal, but it can be done. Saves a lot of weight.

As far as tents, weight and construction are most important to me. Good venting is important as well. You can get single wall, or double wall. With single wall tents you will fight more condensation than double walls. Singles will tend to be lighter. Doubles will with stand more weather and are warmer.I think it all depends on how you will use it.

Head space makes it easier to get dressed or wait out a storm in. Vestibules are nice as well. The bigger the better, but with size comes weight.
Some like side entrances vs end entrances. Mine is end, and I see the benefit of a side entrance. Free standing is a good feature too.
The shape of the tent is important. If its blocky and straight walled, it will act as a wall when wind hits it. You want a tapered, aerodinamic shape, set up into the wind.

My list is very similar to Elkmtgear earlier in the thread.
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2, Big Agnes sleeping bag, thermarest pad, and pocket rocket stove with titanium pot. I use a MSR filter.

10 pounds is too heavy for tent, bag and pad. My list above still is shy of 10 pounds. Don't skimp on the basic gear.
Bill

Just a thought I would throw out a little advice from my years of tyring to find the best backpacking setup. The best gear is going to be expensive, unless you have an unlimited budget it is going to take you years of investing to get the best gear. The question is can you skimp on certain items to get by until you can afford something better? These things I have found that you cannot skimp on: Boots, backpack, sleeping pad. There are plenty of decent sleeping bags that you can use with a bivy and liner setup that can sleep you down to 0 degrees, also there are plenty of shelter options that can get you by as well, space blanket or tarp shelters, cheaper 3 season tents work as well. If you are going to spend some change on an item you better do it right the first time and don't skimp or you will just be upgrading in a few years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom