backpackl hunts: what u wished to bring/what you wanted to leave

robAK

Im going in about ^4 miles into CO in wilderness area (deer muzzy sept ive is added: blue tarp (6 oz 6x8) EXTRA long spoon REI camp chair for ~6 oz as it adds to sleeping pad...what hacks for food? My cuz does deydrated fruits, but that comes with uber $...

w

I've been thinking about this myself. I'm also interested in any specific info on equipment, such as tents, small camp stoves, water purifiers, etc... that people have had good, or bad, experiences with.

I think it's really easy to get caught up in the hype of you need a new this, you need this to be lighter etc etc when back in the day guys were killing big bucks with an apple and a canteen and that was it. I run an older Cabelas external frame pack so right off the bat in over 9lbs and I'm OK with that. I run an MSR miniworks water filter with a lifestraw or iodine back up, walrus zoid 2.0 1 man tent with footprint, mountain hardware 15 degree bag with a thermarest pad and for food I do mountain houses in the evening rice Krispie treats in the morning with Cliff bars beef jerky trail mix oatmeal creme pies honey stingers and peanut butter bacon and honey sandwiches.... Make them the day before and theyre good for 4 days!

>I've been thinking about this myself.
> I'm also interested in
>any specific info on equipment,
>such as tents, small camp
>stoves, water purifiers, etc... that
>people have had good, or
>bad, experiences with.

As for camp stove I have the Snowpeak Gigi power, only 3 oz. coupled with a Snowpeak titanium kettle, 4 oz. That stove is only like $40 theses days.

MSR miniworks water filter and a Katadyn base camp water filter, which is the way to go IMO.

I have the Marmot Force 2P tent, 3.5lbs. And not too much $$$.

Good luck

I am not a huge backpack guy but the handful of times I have done it we got soaked with rain. Each time that happened I wished that I had a backpack cover or some dry sacks. My gear got wet right off the bat and it was miserable dealing with wet stuff right from the get go.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

>I backpack quite a bit, and
>every time I do I
>wished I brought a pack
>horse!

That's funny! :D :D

Appreciate all the input.

Done a lot of hunting and camping but always camped at the truck. Last time, I told my hunting buddy we were leaving half of what he packed at home!

On a serious note I would say get a sleeping bag at or under 3#s, a pad under 2#s (sleeping on the ground sucks and you will get cold). I just use a jetboil and mountain house, jerkey and other dry snacks. for water I really like the life straw with its bottle, once in a while add Gatorade mix or something. I use an inflatable pillow that weights about 2oz. There really isn't anything too comfortable about it, you just have to tough it out and it does get easier after doing it a few times. A magazine or book with a headlamp is something I try to bring to break up the mid day and before bed.

Also don't wait for the season opener to test your resolve. Get out and scout a few over nighters. I remember my first night on the mountain with all the wrong gear. I planned to stay a couple nights but I only stayed 1, half hunted the morning then hiked out. It was miserable but I was hooked and started learning more about it. Better gear and technique will make a better experience.

My favorite food to pack for the wilderness are MREs. I usually strip them down to eliminate excess. No need for stoves or fuels and they are pretty tasty. For me it also saves time; just open and eat. I also carry an emergency bivy in case I'm stuck somewhere besides my camp.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-17 AT 07:05PM (MST)[p]4Hour sterno's for stove,use a couple of rocks to build holder for stainless steel 2oz cup, Ramien noodles w/the 1 lbs cans of roast beef, peanut butter/chedder cheese/bagels, all full of protein and will survive being jammed in a pack. dry fruit to snack on,
Mexican nescafe 'classico" instant coffee...
You can zip-lock bag frozen meal from home, press flat, and have a better dinner the first night out...
mesh hammock, the full fabric ones cause you to slip around all night, with a small tarp for cover...

I do a Hammock and sleeping bag and a light rain fly. I bring a small day pack with bladder and 1 or 2 bottles of water then a water filter.

For food: I bring something like a sub for first day then mostly jerky, nuts, bars and oatmeal if water is not going to be an issue. I carry the light squirt flavor things for water.

I put all this stuff plus spotting scope, game bags,some paracord, game bags (I use caribua packs), other misc stuff battery, gps phone etc. onto my external frame.

Binos and range finder on harness on my chest. If seasons in I will carry my weapon or if its evening before the opener I will strap it on my frame. I do typically carry my bow by hand either way.

31726065036_79bf4240ea_t.jpg

My current situation precludes me from caring about your opinion but go ahead and give voice to it anyway...

53077dsc04777.jpg

>I backpack quite a bit, and
>every time I do I
>wished I brought a pack
>horse!

This might be the single best post I've read on here all summer!

Four miles gets me to head of drainage. Have options to bivy from there if weather is good. With everything now pack weighs ~35 lbs minus food. Going to add leukotape for feet, chapstick, sunscreen stick for my pasty AK skin, a few little zip ties, Tylenol pain meds, medical kit and probably a few more soon. I don't sleep well on the mountain but it's not doable to return to the trailhead every night. Also pIcked up a Borah tarp (6oz) as shelter to bivy if I need ito stay a night or two. Use a blue tarp now for summer fishing and I love that extra space to stay out your tent when it rains or when you need shade. Thanks for the input, love to hear more. BTW I made one of those bagel sandwiches with 4 slices of salami, one each bacon and cheese. Came in at .37 lbs with vacuum seal included

Thermarest makes a lightweight backpacking cot that weighs 2 pounds. Allows me to sleep well when spiking out. Nothing is more important than a good nights sleep. I will compromise on other gear to have this cot.

Bill

This will seem silly, but I sleep poorly on a usuall basis until lately. I use a sound machine to emit a white noise on my bed stand and it works great. Now my kids had a little lullaby battery powered light weight portable unit that has a white noise selection too. I am going to try this in the backcountry this year.

https://www.amazon.com/myBaby-Sound...01982571&sr=8-3&keywords=white+noise+portable

Something like this will drown out most of the little mouse fart noises that spike your adrenaline in the middle of the night. It works great for me at home and camping. Have yet to take it backpacking. Colorado would be fine, but I don't know if I would use it in grizz country. Not really sure I would overnight backpack in grizz country for that matter anyhow. NO BALZ!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-17 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-17 AT 02:45?PM (MST)

Soj51,

I've had the pack horses, and wished I didn't. Especially after a long hike and getting back to camp and had to follow em 3 miles back towards the trailhead. That's 6 miles round trip on tires legs. They're a pain in the a$$ at times BUT when meat hits the ground, they are invaluable.

My staples other than Mountain House is bagels and oatmeal. I also like Crystal light for my water occasionally.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-17 AT 05:24PM (MST)[p]Ya, I have horses and don't take them because they are more bs to deal with once there. My horses especially (or I should say my wife's horses)!

I'm taking peanut butter powder this year. I plan on adding it to my oatmeal in the morning and protein powder mid day.

37lb pack for 7 day elk hunt.
PACK: Tent, stove, inflatable ground pad, sleeping bag, 2 empty 2qt water bladders, 2 full nalgene bottles, katadyne water filter, 7 dehydrated meals, alum cook pot, fork, 7 power bars, 1 pair extra socks, powdered gatorade, TP, 7 baby wipes, visor micro headlamp, two led flashlights, 4 game bags, 80' 550 cord, emergency beacon, light rain gear, light jacket, polypro top/bottom, extra batts. (ache and pain relief: scotch, motrin)

WEAR: Shorts, gaiters, wicking t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, cap, knife, saw blade, range finder, bow and arrows, wind powder, bear spray, binos, elk calls, bow hex set, map, tags/license, cell phone.

Not: Water, extra food, camera, extra clothes, books, spotting scope, spare boots, radio, .

55 years old and this works well for a week for an old guy, then 1 day refit and back up for 7 if tag isn't filled.

If you aren't using trekking poles, get a pair. Can make a big difference on fatigue levels in steep terrain.

I just mountain house for dinner, I do instant oatmeal and instant starbucks for breakfast, I like the hot breakfast, helps warm me up on cold mornings, but you have to budget extra fuel for this.

I dont' eat a dedicated meal for lunch. I just have a snack whenever I get hungry or stop to glass.

I have pro bars I eat, jerky, and I will do a trail mix zip of macadamias and cashews, chocolate chips or m&m's and raisins. You want high calorie/weight ratio on all your snacks. I also will apportion them out by day so I dont' end up overeating one kind of food and running out.

4 miles in. That takes you what no more than an hour to get in. Why not start a day or two early and pack in a couple of loads and prepare prior to the actual hunt. In one day you could make 3 round trips and have your self a sweet camp. As far as what to eat, if I was going to go the MRE route I would find the Artic MRE's. They have about triple the calories as a regular MRE. We have a small ice chest that we pack with our frozen meat. We fill the bottom with dry ice, then place in your already frozen meats, then place another layer of dry ice on top of it. Then we tape the closure with duct tape and only open it once a day in the morning to remove what ever we want to thaw out to eat that night. Keep it in the shade or bury it. It will stay frozen for over a week like that. No matter what you take or leave behind you will always wish you had brought something else or left something that you brought. As far as water, I have hunted the wilderness in Colorado for over 20 years and have never taken a water purifying system. I find a spring that is coming right out of the ground and drink from that. There is no shortage of springs if you look for them. Especially above 10,000ft.
Mules are the way to go. Then you can bring what ever you want. Ours have been going to the same camp so long that we just let them go after we get out of site of the truck. When we get to our spot the mules will be standing right where the tent goes. Plus they don't mind backing a case of beer to have after a long day out hunting..LOL

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom