Bad ankles... best boots? Meindel or....?

S

Sportfury

Hey guys haven't posted in a while. Just wondering what you think or best advice on the best boot out there that gives good support for the ankles. My dad loves to hunt, he is 59, but after a day of chasing birds or deer his ankles are very sore even using prescription foot supports. He just bought a brand new pair of Dannners, but they don't seem to be cutting it. Has anyone used any of the Meindel boots that Cabelas sells? From the description they sound great, but would like to hear from some real users. How about Whites boots out of Spokane, WA or any other brands that provide good orthopedic support? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Williams
Sportfury

I've used Meindle boots and Hanwag boots for all my sheep and goat hunting as well as mountain hiking etc here in British Columbia for the last 15 years.

Can't go wrong with them ... but like with any pair of boots, they need to fit well and be broken in.

Just bought another pair of Meindles last month. Most comfortable boot out of the box I've every worn. I switch back and forth between them and my Asolos.

AntlerQuest Hunt Consulting

I've used Danners, Meindles and Merrells. Danners have the worst ankle support of any boots I've used. Merrells are very comfortable, but Meindles have slightly better support and are more durable. I'd go with Meindles.

I had to return a set of cabelas Meindl boots cause the sole separated from the leather well before they should be considered worn or even well broken in. these are not the sewn sole boots which are probably still great, but the cabelas branded meindls are glue-soled. just one experience.

Sportfury,
Have your dad go with the Meindls through Cabela's he won't be sorry. They have worked real good for me and most comfortable pair right out of box and I have a couple of years on your dad and have a bad right ankle and never noticed a thing while hunting this year.

Brian

I'd highly reccommend the Meindl Alaskan Outfitters from Cabelas. I've got bad/weak ankles and they are a godsend. Also the Vasque that Timberman mentions above work well also. He's my buddy and we've hiked the same terrain and both boots have done very well. Good Luck

They meindl have great ankle support, I have a awkward foot so I had to break them in. Its a bit over kill for me to wear them unless theres snow or alot of rain. The sizes seem to run big I had to get them a size smaller and put in my footbeds. Russ

I bought the Danner Frontier 10 inch a couple months ago. It is the most comfortable boot I have ever owned. If you are looking for ankle support it a good idea to look into taller boots

Oh another good idea is to duct tape you boots after strapping them up. I do this during shed season becasue of all the side hills, it really helps. Although I am not sure how good it is for the boot.

I got meindle (from cabelas), GREAT ankle support, not a bad boot. It was a little uncomfortable IMO, I got the squeeck they are famous for, bowstring wax fixed it but it started to come back after 2 weeks elk hunting, I am sure wax will fix it again. The soles seemed hard a not quite as comfortable as other boots for long hikes.

I did like the boot and I am happy with it though.

Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. My Dad has the Danners and agrees they are comfortable, but they have no support for his ankles. Looks like the Meindels or Vasque are the way to go.

Thanks,
Sportfury

Just to help solidify your decision. I had some Cabela Mountain Hunters and the ankle support was great. Bought some Danners and they have no ankle support. I have no strength in my ankles side to side and the Danners let me know.

I have two pairs of Meindels, the winter 800's and the Mt. Ebruss ( discontinued ). Both have good to excellent ankle support and are definately the most comfortable out of the box. The only problem I have had is the with the glue on soles, the winter 800's delaminated so I took them to the local boot repair shop. They delaminated again at elk camp. so when I got home I cleaned the sole and upper with a wire brush and squirted some polyurethane in between them. I haven't had a problem since (2years). Sorry so long but thought this might save somebody some time and $. Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom