Bad News Lope in 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 106

elks96

Long Time Member
Today, heard a pretty good interview on the local Radio station...

Antelope Take Away...

Units 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 and 106 all seen a 40% reduction in heard numbers last year.

2 fold issues were cited.... Harsh winter last winter, coupled with an extremely dry spring and summer. Has resulted in a double whammy...

Mature animals that made it barely made through last winter, but then were hit with poor range conditions. So essentially they lost the majority of 2 generations in these units. The fawns that died last winter and the ones that were not born or were born weak this srping.

They are talking about another significant reduction in tags in these areas.

Also 75 to the NW saw thier yearling counts down over 50%, but not as dramatic decrease in other age ages groups. So they are likely holding licenses at current level or looking at slight reductions. If they have another year with poor fawn recruitment it will be cut again.

I spent over a month last summer and fall in several of those antelope units. There was actually pretty good water available early in the spring. It was super dry and relatively hot from July through September when some of the water sources dried up. In some of the areas where I saw lots of antelope during June they were almost void of antelope where water totally dried up. In adjacent units where there was more water into September there generally were a lot more antelope.

If you’ve spent much time in Wyo you will notice that antelope tend to wander into areas with less snow in winter and also areas with more water and better browse during late summer-early fall. Some areas that hold antelope one year may be void of antelope the next...in response to these conditions.

I shot this buck in 68 last season

20200920_191914.jpg

A harsh winter followed by a dry spring? How’s that work? Wouldn’t the snowpack derived from a harsh winter create lush conditions as it melted?
Could be little to no snow and a layer of ice over whatever was there. Our area had good early moisture that just dried up in summer. Not much snow pack right now either. Irrigation is not looking good for summer hay.

A harsh winter followed by a dry spring? How’s that work? Wouldn’t the snowpack derived from a harsh winter create lush conditions as it melted?
The areas mentioned got hit early with a heavy snow. Many antelope were kind of stuck. The snow was pretty deep in a lot of the country, many of the places where I am driving in 2 wheel drive in January this year was all but inaccessible last year in thanksgiving. That snow blew around a bit and got a nasty crust, and I mean nasty crust. Last January I found a group of antelope stuck in this nasty mid thigh deep snow. In the end 17 of the 24 died where they were stuck...

The snow was a hard pack top layer and under was like loose sand. Very little moisture. Then when it did melt the wind sucked a lot of the moisture out, followed by unseasonably dry spring and summer.

the pregnant does came out of the winter in very bad shape, then as the had Nabatean the food was not awesome. So making milk would have been down. ETC.

normally yes big heavy snow pack equates to a good spring, but in the low area of Wy with the wind that is not always true.
I can’t remember a single rain event from May first through august here last year!

My son and I hunted 68 for almost a week. We saw plenty of short horned average bucks, but I don't recall seeing that many fawns. It could be slow sledding for a few years.

so I was planning on burning a bunch of points on one of these units this year. Will this poor outlook make for a tougher hunt or not worth it at all?

Yeah I would still try the hunts, but it is more about draw odds in my opinion. If they are already reporting a down turn in the herd, and making it well known to the public, I would venture to gues that the tags are reduced.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom