Badlands Sacrafice or the Ox!

B

bckcntrybuck

What pack do you like better between these 2 new packs. They are not out yet but I had a chance to check them out at the show a couple weeks ago. I really like the Idea on the ox and it felt super comfortable on my back, The sacrafice is super light but was kind of worried of how it would feel when fully loaded with deer or elk.

Who has seen these packs and what do you think?

I have looked at both. I currently have a 2200 and really like it. I also have a pack frame and really like it for packing out animals. If you are doing a true backcountry hunt of 3 plus days, then you simply cannot carry enough with a 2200. With the Ox, you could carry ALL that you can and then some.....just my 2 cents.....

I love badlands! Great product and warranty.

BUT...I would be concerned about the weight you can carry with the Sacrafice.

It just does not feel like a pack that is going to haul a load over 40 pounds very well.

But I LOVE BADLANDS!

bckcntrybuck, you must be a hard up Badlands groupie...or an employee.

I'm guessing employee.

And that's cool. I own three Badlands packs, love em. Just noticing a trend.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-10 AT 10:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-10 AT 10:49?AM (MST)

I also looked at both at the expo, and I was SOLD on the new badlands sacrifice UNTIL... I picked it up, looked closely at the zipper and fabric construction, the back support system, and loved what I saw... I also loved the weight, or lack thereof. I took it off and looked at the "external frame support" and the small cross support, intended to keep the pack from pushing into your back, literally fell to the bottom of the pack.
If you look closely at how its built in, its not. The fabric just wraps around the sides of the small red metal support structure. I was EXTREMELY disappointed.
I was told by one of their reps that this specific pack was a demo, and that it had been handled a lot earlier that day.. HMMM... if I buy this pack, and its falling apart after a few hours of people handling it, how is it going hold up on a three day backcountry trip, or hauling out a deer?
The rep told me that he thought it would be stitched in for the actual product line, but didnt seem to sure about it.
I have friends who swear by their badlands packs and will never waver. I hear they have excellent customer service, and will fix anything that happens to your pack. I am not by any means saying it is not "top of the line" and I still intend to buy one for myself, i just hope that badlands can figure out this little problem before sportsman such as myself are disappointed.
Did any of you fellow MM see this, or hear them say anything about this specific problem?
-MMM

Keep in mind when companies introduce new products they build a few samples to take to shows. Through this and more testing they will come out with a final product. I would be shocked if the actual production pack had the same issues as the show samples.

I am really looking forward to checking out the Sacrifice when it is available. I hope it will be available by July as I have a 50 mile backpacking trip with our Scout troop that would be a good test for a new pack. Otherwise it will likely be me and my 2800.

FYI, no, I do not work for Badlands, I live in the wrong state for that.

I think the sacrafice would be fine until you had something down. I looked at it at the expo and it was lite and comfy, but with your gear and a quarter I think I would rather have the OX or the 4500.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-10 AT 09:06AM (MST)[p]I am glad I am not the only one concerned with how the scarifice will handle weight. Heck of a pack till something is down I think.
I have to disagree with an above post on the 2200 being too small for 3 days. i can fit 7 days of gear into my 2200. (with no water, having to filter) If I get creative, I can pack all gear and some meat off the mountain as well.
The ox looks great, but weighs in at 9+ pounds. The 4500 weights less than the ox, and can carry more. The 4500 can handle more weight than one could carry too.

Hmm... so someone saw that huh. Yep, all I can say is that it was supposed to do that to help um... Yep, I will take the blame for that one. The Sacrifice you saw at the show was not a production level piece and the factory did not sew down the metal cross member (as you noticed). This has been resolved with the factory but we did not have time to get an updated piece in time for the shows.

As for the question about how it will carry, the pack does sacrifice weight but only in features. This pack is still made with the same level of construction and durability that you would expect from Badlands. In fact Cameron already packed out a deer with one of the earlier prototypes without any trouble. You can check out the photo on his website cameronhanes.com

I'll put in my two-cents. I dont work for Badlands so I dont have a dog in this hunt. That being said, I love the Badlands packs. I use the 2200 on numerous hunts every year and have never had a bad experience either with my pack or with the customer service. Because I do alot of back-pack hunting, I am pretty hard on my gear. I've had zippers go out...they've either fixed them for free in no-time or they have replaced the entire pack no questions asked. They stand by their products and treat customers great.
I have not seen the Sacrifice, but I am skeptical anytime I see a non-external frame pack being used for any extended hunts. Especially when an animal may be taken. With all of your gear, etc and then an animal on-top of that...you're usually talking AT LEAST 80 pounds....That is generally quite a bit of eight to comfortably carry on an internal frame. Thats why I would love to get the OX on my back and give it a try. Sounds like it may be a very good all-purpose pack for extended hunts. Again, havent seen or tried either...I'm confident in their quality and sutomer service....I just reserve my heavy backpacking to external framed packs.

copac,
Thanks for taking the time to post the update.... I figured that was not the final product, but it was a concern to me. I am excited to see the final product.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-10 AT 08:18AM (MST)[p]I had a chance to try out the OX this year on a couple day trips. I had all the hunting equipment loaded up and the weight seemed to transfer well, although I never had a animal in the pack to see how It carried that weight. To those of you who have not seen the new OX here is a picture.
DSC_0170-1.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

So I was at the ISE on Sunday and didn't expect to see Badlands Booth since it was not listed on the Vendor Booth info on the ISE site. I was happy to see they were there and with some pretty decent show deals for their packs.

Where this booth fell short is; they had the Sacrifice which I was happy to see, but it was all mocked up and filled with whatever to puff it up to look nice while it hung outta reach of all the ISE Consumers, on the wall of their display.

I was however, able to tip toe close enough to sneak it off the display for a closer look. I got to put it on and compare that weight to the 4500 next to it and it is a huge weight difference. Since it was all stuffed with filler, I did not get to take a look at its internal configuration but in the demo I saw, the shoulder straps didn't really seem to be the same quality or material that the other packs are known for. It seemed thin and flimsy in comparison to the thick foam types that all the other packs generally use to make the load bearing a little less neglegable and did not seem like it would be near comfortable enough for a reasonable load; given the materials that were shown in the demo.

I did however, like the Hypervent style venting and it did seem good "Go-Between" for the 2200 and the 4500 and @ $269, not too bad of price. The material, was fairly noisy (not any more so than a Trekking Pack), but at just 3.4 lbs (confirmed by rep), that should give the Sacrifice back a couple of needed points in it's favor for someone on the fence of buying it.

As for the OX, I was pretty disappointed to hear that they did not have it for display. This was the pack that had the most hype to me and that I am "Waiting" to check out before I settly on something else. The Rep said that due to it being handled so much at the other ISE shows, they decided not to bring it. I asked about if it was going to still be available with just the Frame Only and he stated "NO, you had to get it with the pack." :(

As for availability, they did confirm June but being the smart Arse I am, I said: "Available...? Do you mean like when it was originally supposed to be "Available" last fall???" The Rep didn't seem too amused. }>

?-ERock-> ?

Isaac here from Badlands Packs.

I would like to apologize for our booth falling short at the ISE show. Badlands was there on behalf of Trophy Hunter. The guys working the booth were not badlands reps, they all were local prostaff who worked the booth for free on their own time and unaware of why the ox was not released.

The reason the Sacrifice was all puffed out is to show what the pack would look like when you have all your gear in it. If it wasn??t it would just look like a bunch of fabric with straps hanging all over. And the reason we up it up was so it would not get lost in all the other camo packs.

As for the Ox we are sorry we did not bring that pack to show the truth is I just simply forgot to bring it. The good news is we have received a lot of phone calls & emails asking if we are going to offer the frame with out the pack so as of today we are going to offer the frame alone and the price will be $269.99. The frame and pack will retail for $459.99.

We are hoping for a release date in mid June and there are so many reasons why it has taken us so long to release it that it would take up this entire thread ?? give me a call and I can explain it all
We do have protypes here in the office and you are more then welcome to come on by and try them on.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to call me or stop on by.

Isaac Aleman
Badlands Backpacks
753 W 1700 S
Slc Ut 84104
801 978 2207

Hi, We don't just sell packs, we use them. So heres our input.

You have to decide what you are willing to give up. Weight vs Packing ability vs Cost.

If you are looking for a great light weight pack that you are going to use for a day or 2 trip and you prefer to pack as light as possible then the Sacrifice is the answer. If you dont mind a little extra weight and cost and you want to know that when you have to pack something out that is heavy then the Ox is what you want.

We did a video on the Sacrifice but didn't completely pack it down. It just shows the size, pouches to get a good idea of the pack. We are going to pack it down this week and see how it performs with a lot of weight. Plus we will have the Ox soon to do a review on that.

I hope to get back here with an update but if not Let me know if you are still interested.

Hunting supplies at great prices and Free Shipping. www.PaysonOutfitters.com

I have two Badlands packs. One daypack and a 2200. The 2200 is THE most comfortable pack I've ever used. I used it to pack out my moose two years ago. It's not big enough to go for too many days but for a three-day scouting trip, it's perfect. I can't hunt with it on my back because, like every pack Badlands makes, it's incredibly loud in the brush. I also a daypack with the gaping-bird-mouth opening on top. (What the hell were they thinking with that one? It NEVER stays closed) It's also one of the most comfortable packs I've ever used.
I looked at the Ox and it looks like you could bring the kitchen sink if you wanted. If it's like any other Badlands, it will be a comfortable and durable pack. You won't have to worry about noisy fabric since you'll be using it for packing and not hunting. Go with the Ox.

Side note/wish: I'd give an extra $100 per pack if Badlands would make a daypack out of wool, (or anything quiet).

"My sickle has a boattail"
"hidden soles leave .308 holes"

tell you the truth I am a pretty superstitious kind of guy. I just purchased the 2200 and took it out the other day for some shed hunting and look what it brought home.
1550copy_of_0410101650.jpg

Not only is this pack a great pack but it already knows why Im packing it up the hill. good karma coming with this pack in 2010! I personally believe it will pack everything I need for a 3 day hunt.

I also tried out the sacrifice pack and I tell you what I'm sold on it as well. I will be getting one this year just for scouting. If it was made out of a quieter material I would use it for everything. I guess I have to sacrifice something. it is one light mother and seems to pack everything I need for a good couple days.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom