Baggs Migration Group Update from June 17th

elks96

Long Time Member
So I spent the 17th listening via zoom to the Baggs migration group meeting. The meeting was pretty cool and very informative. I was not able to be present and comment. I had to log off before public comment could be made. However here is a summary of the meeting...

There is some pretty amazing data on the Baggs mule deer. The migration maps were really cool and the GPS locations were from every 2 hours and from over 100 deer over the last 10 plus years. This data has provided mapping abilities for critical summer range, winter range, migration trails and the layover/stop over location.

The herd is different from others in the state as it has a significant population of animals that leave the state into CO. This presents a management issue as once they cross into CO the management is out of our hands.

The data also showed several critical very narrow paths were the deer move through. These pinch points become very important location to protect.

Protection also becomes vital to the layover/stop over locations. These areas are where the deer feed more and rely on the vegetation to replenish and carry them through the migration etc.

The group did not really take any actions at all. It was a ton of information from the state, data, input from the BLM managers, etc. There is already some talk amongst the members about protections for the critical feeding areas, talk about actions that energy development may take. Talk about creating walk in areas where the lay over and critical feed areas are...

They have looked at grazing trades on state land to protect winter ranges and a variety of things. Fencing reconsiderations, and more.

The group meets again in July, the July meeting is going to be about priorities to talk and creating a list of actionable items to start with. Also about providing the managers with guidance on project planning, and how to better mitigate issues from multi use.

If you get the chance to watch the video from the morning of the day it was pretty amazing the data and mapping they have...

Thanks for the updates. Wish I could have tuned in. Have followed this herd and management for a few years now. Always interesting.

Colorado gets a free lunch on both Platte River and the Baggs herds. Many of those deer migrate into Wyoming around mid October after the Wyoming deer hunts are over. We need to push again for that late season hunt we used to have with 25 licenses in November. Otherwise we just keep footing the bill and protecting Colorado deer and giving them a free lunch all Winter long and gaining nothing in return.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom