Barbary Sheep in Unit 38???

T

ToneafterBone

Okay guys about 2 years ago during the early archery hunt i seen two small rams up on the forest a few days after another hunter told me he seen some barbs so that made me a believer when i seen them with my own eyes so i buy a sheep tag every year now and i have hiked that mountain range over and over and cant find them again i imagine they fell victim to a centerfire.. Then this past january i was with my brother hunting deer again for the archery hunt and seen a few guys hunting barbary sheep not in the forest but in the south east part of the unit. We never saw a barbary sheep, plenty of Marys little lambs and a few nice bucks, one my brother was sneekee enough to bring home for dinner and wall decoration.. Big question is any body cool enough to point me in the direction of some barb sheep i learned the area pretty darn well just no barbs is this area hit or miss any input will be greatfully appricitated... i know i didnt cover every inch of the south east portion of the unit which in my unexperience looks like the best barbary sheep country...

ive seen them just as you leave corona going south right after the houses on the left

across from the gravel pit or on the same side as it i know that turn well.. thanks aepadil have you tried the forest for turkeys i seen a bunch down there looks promiseing for spring time...

9809img_20120204_141545.jpg

1015img_20120204_141611.jpg

403img_20120204_141616.jpg

This is the 15" Ram i got today down in unit 38.Shot him just under the eye on the run at 196yards running with my 7MM put it on his noses went a bit forward squeezed one off and down he went .HA HA I FOUND THEM AGAIN and brought one home, to bad to say the "big one" got away,"big curl and burly beard im guessing he was very close to 30" if not bigger". He got lucky i was excited to see them again and dropped the first sheep that came into my crosshairs no time wastedthere, andthe fact my brother cant hit a running animal. But we saw where they ran and held upit was getting dark had to deal with this one going back for him next weekend they will be there PRIME TIME SHEEP COUNTRY......

Congrats on a great find. I have hunted 38 on 9 years and last year finally found an area that is known for them on public land.I never saw them but a lady and her husband who were deer hunting in January near where we were did see them.....
Again congrats on a great find....Now SHHHHHEEEEEE.....

Okay guys about 2 years ago during the early archery hunt i seen two small rams up on the forest a few days after another hunter told me he seen some barbs so that made me a believer when i seen them with my own eyes so i buy a sheep tag every year now and i have hiked that mountain range over and over and cant find them again i imagine they fell victim to a centerfire.. Then this past january i was with my brother hunting deer again for the archery hunt and seen a few guys hunting barbary sheep not in the forest but in the south east part of the unit. We never saw a barbary sheep, plenty of Marys little lambs and a few nice bucks, one my brother was sneekee enough to bring home for dinner and wall decoration.. Big question is any body cool enough to point me in the direction of some barb sheep i learned the area pretty darn well just no barbs is this area hit or miss any input will be greatfully appricitated... i know i didnt cover every inch of the south east portion of the unit which in my unexperience looks like the best barbary sheep country...
Hey man i just posted a thread with some questions on Unit 38 if you have any pointers.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom