Barbary Sheep

09Bigbuck

I didn't see many sheep this year but got lucky on the 1st and only ram I saw. He was beded at the top of a hill overlooking the only route to approach from so I decided to go straight at him. I worked my way toward him glassing as I got closer hoping I could spot him before he busted out. Finally at about 75 yards I could see his head and neck.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

Thanks everyone. He is a DIY public land NM sheep. I probably wouldn't have gone straight at him but I was afraid if I went around him I would spook him onto some private ground. That and in the past I have noticed that when beded in good cover thay tend to hold tight till you get pretty close.

He had a couple softball size masses of white tissue with some green inside them that appeared to have mostly drained or been absorbed so I dug around a little more and found that ~5" of his femur right below the ball joint had been shattered and was completely remodeled. It's pretty amazing that they can recover from something that drastic.

Hey Wes, we are doing well. Hope you and your family are well. Congrats on your monster bull. Did you draw sheep this year?

We are all good Glen. I did draw sheep. I went the first couple of days. Shot a mini me ram on the first day on the public.
1116img5088.jpg

Nice ram - I have never thought about hunting these here but I'm getting more interested.

How do you like your BOGPOD? I love mine since I swap easily between a spotting scope holder and into the new sling swivel attachment that makes it really, really stable for the rifle.

Thanks

It's a fun and challenging hunt. Finding them on public land can be quite the challenge which makes it that much sweeter when you finally find them.

I love my BOGPOD, I don't have the attachments but use them frequently to steady my binoculars and occasionally my rifle.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom