Barnes 80 gr 243 ???

Stillwater165

Very Active Member
Anybody out there load any 80 gr Barnes in a 243 ? I’ve shot a 243 for over 30 years and loaded for one for at least 25 yrs but I’ve never shot any 80 gr bullets. Either loaded 60 gr hp’s or 100 gr’s. Looking for powder ideas ? I’ve got 3 Win 70s with just factory 22 inch barrels if that helps.

I’ve found H4831 and H4350 to both work very well with the 80gr TTSX.
IMO Barnes normally shoot best at Max charge or a little higher.

hammers makes powder??
No. Just another bullet option. Hammers can typically be loaded to higher velocity with less pressure than other monos. For powder, I'm using H4350 right now, but finally got some RL-26. Supposed to work well in the .243. Guessing the RUM will get most of it. mtmuley

I just looked into the hammers last night , they definitely have my attention. I’ve got 3 kids and my wife all shooting 243’s so we use the heck out of them.

H4350 is my go to on 243s. that little 80 gr TTSX is a nasty little pill and the speeds you can push em.

That's not that much different...... if you're only buying 1 bullet at a time! LOL

Better? Maybe a particular rifle might shoot one better than the other but a guy would have to buy both to find out.

I have not used the Hammers (but I'll bet they're really good) but the Barnes bullets are "hammers" in everything that I've used them.

Zeke

I like RL16 with the 80gr Barnes. I have a ladder of the 88gr Sledge Hammers loaded up, but my range closed for corona virus. I'll find a spot to test them this weekend. Other hammers I've loaded have been very easy to work up. Nodes tend to be huge. When I was narrowing down my creedmoor load, the last batch I tested when narrowing it down had an SD of 7, across a .6 grain charge difference. I'd call the middle of that pretty safe. Trickle every load accuracy just throwing and loading.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom