Barnes new Long Range Hunting Ammo

LAST EDITED ON May-02-17 AT 06:15PM (MST)[p]If these are better for long range and open at lower velocity...I wonder how well they would work at close range. With the concerns of some that copper sometimes does not expand, this might be a win win all the way around???? Just going by looks, the cavity seems to be larger than the TSX and the TTSX....maybe a larger mushroom???

BY GAWD!

Even Some 375 RUM LR Ammo!

[Font][Font color = "blue"]I Changed My Signature Just for NVB!
Like 6 Damn Times Now!

That factory Barnes LR shoots well out of my 6.5 300 weatherby,hoping to get some load data for it ,dam expensive

I heard that all long range ammo is crap at short distances. Makes it hard to use that stuff when hunting. Who knows if your shot will be 100 yards or 600 yards.

>I heard that all long range
>ammo is crap at short
>distances. Makes it
>hard to use that stuff
>when hunting. Who knows
>if your shot will be
>100 yards or 600 yards.
>

This is from a Barnes rep...

Hi Donald,

The window of expansion has been slid down on the LRX?s in order to get expansion at longer ranges. However in high speed magnums, you can now break petals from the bullets in very close range scenarios. Honestly I've seen the high impact testing, and they still perform exceedingly well with all the petals gone ? 65% weight retention and about 1.5 diameter expansion on the remaining shank. That's a very best case scenario for a Nosler Partition at normal impact velocities ? they break down more under your high velocity conditions at close range.

The .277 cal 129gr LRX requires 1700fps at impact for expansion and we test them up to 2600fps for 100% weight retention. Typically they'll go a few hundred fps above this number without petal loss ? we just don't keep shooting until petals begin to break.

If that has you worried the 140 TSX loaded in our factory ammo has a 2100fps ? 2900fps window. They shouldn't break even at close ranges with this one.

Thanks, Ty

Thanks for posting that from the Barnes Rep. Great info.

>>I heard that all long range
>>ammo is crap at short
>>distances. Makes it
>>hard to use that stuff
>>when hunting. Who knows
>>if your shot will be
>>100 yards or 600 yards.
>>
>
>This is from a Barnes rep...
>
>
>
>Hi Donald,
>
>The window of expansion has been
>slid down on the LRX?s
>in order to get expansion
>at longer ranges. However in
>high speed magnums, you can
>now break petals from the
>bullets in very close range
>scenarios. Honestly I've seen the
>high impact testing, and they
>still perform exceedingly well with
>all the petals gone ?
>65% weight retention and about
>1.5 diameter expansion on the
>remaining shank. That's a very
>best case scenario for a
>Nosler Partition at normal impact
>velocities ? they break down
>more under your high velocity
>conditions at close range.
>
>The .277 cal 129gr LRX requires
>1700fps at impact for expansion
>and we test them up
>to 2600fps for 100% weight
>retention. Typically they'll go a
>few hundred fps above this
>number without petal loss ?
>we just don't keep shooting
>until petals begin to break.
>
>
>If that has you worried the
>140 TSX loaded in our
>factory ammo has a 2100fps
>? 2900fps window. They shouldn't
>break even at close ranges
>with this one.
>
>Thanks, Ty

LAST EDITED ON May-14-17 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]That's why I load Nosler Accubond's and keep them in my gun with some ELD-X loaded rounds close by incase I need to shoot out past 600 yards or more.

>I heard that all long range
>ammo is crap at short
>distances. Makes it
>hard to use that stuff
>when hunting. Who knows
>if your shot will be
>100 yards or 600 yards.
>

One thing all copper bullets can't avoid is more presented side area to the wind than bullets that have denser lead as most of the weight. No bullet company provides a side BC nor fo any programs use them in the drift calculation. They just use time of flight and one number fits all for drift. I'm thinking all copper bullets have to have much higher than calculated wind drift, which would make shooting long range in the wind much tougher, especially if you go by the calculated numbers.

Copper is 20% less dense than lead. Presented side area to the wind is greater in an all copper bullet given the same caliber and weight as the bullet has to be longer. A bigger sail has to be pushed off course more in the same time and wind. The BC published and used is looking at the front of the bullet. It will be different than the side drag coefficient. I'm just saying that I think all copper probably drift roughly 10-15% more than mostly lead bullets. I admit that I'm too cheap to shoot enough copper bullets under enough conditions to really know. I do know that accurate long range shooting in windy conditions is tough enough as it is.

LAST EDITED ON May-15-17 AT 11:27PM (MST)[p]Like stated BC is BC. Yes an all copper bullet is longer than a lead bullet of equal weights but the BC and wind drift will reflect that when you compare the 2. Also if using a G7 BC it will be more accurate. Wind is no doubt the hardest part of long range shooting but reading the wind and signs of wind direction and imputing that data into your ballistic solution will make it a whole lot easier if done correctly.
Barnes bullets wouldn't be my first choice for long range but to each their own. If you wanted an all copper long range I'd choose cutting edge bullets.

The bullet does not have the same BC looking at it from the side as it does looking at it from the front. The shape, presented area and cross sectional density are different. The less dense bullet is longer and presents more area to cross wind, given all else is equal.

Granted, a 10% difference in wind drift is probably not not noticeable when you can't read wind out to the target that close. But I just have never seen a ballistic program that takes bullet density into account.

Some ballistic programs use bullet length as part of their imputed data. This would reflect in the given wind drift solution of any given bullet as long as wind speed/direction is imputed correctly. I understand that a copper bullet will be longer and thus drift more vs a lead bullet of same weight but the given solution for wind drift would be different for those 2 bullets and just a matter of dialing more for correction.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom