barnes performance, any input?

rifleman

i know i read on this site somewhere various opinions of barnes bullets. i was wondering what everybody's 2cents is of them. i have some 115gr. X's loaded in my ruger .25/06. after having the stock glassbedded they shoot suprisingly well. at roughly 3100fps i'm getting 1" groups. going on a doe/hog hunt this weekend and was thinking about trying them out. please give some input. should i stick to my hornady 120gr. HP handloads. nothing ever walks after getting hit with one of them.

You never know until you try them. I don't think there is a bullet that will perform 100 % all the time, granted they will kill but not to the advertised expansion/weight retention each time. Too many variables to take in account. I have never been able to get them to shoot well out of my rifles so I can't give an opinion but if it was a terrible bullet there wouldn't be so many people using them.
If you do use them please post your results.

I love barnes bullets. I've used them on everything from antelope to buffalo. Also used them in Africa. Hardly ever recovered a bullet from an animal and when I did they always look like the photos. Some rifles are picky, but usually if there's an accuracy problem it can be fixed be playing with the o.a.l. of the cartridge. I normally shoot the xlc's, haven't tried the triple shocks yet but I've heard nothing but great things about them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom