Barnes TSX BT for Elk

HalfAce

Very Active Member
Hey guys. Anyone here hunt Elk with Barnes TSX BT?s? If so, what were your results, and at what distance?

Can it kill an elk at extended ranges (between 400 and 600 yards) if the shooter does their job? I've never hunted with a Barnes bullet, never hunted with a copper bullet. So I am interested to know how these bullets perform at those longer ranges.

I shot 160 grain TSX BT?s (factory ammo) from my 7mm mag yesterday and had some really good groups. I was able to shoot groups at a ?? MOA. One group was ??MOA. While the Accubonds and Partitions are shooting 1.5"MOA.

Normally I don't shoot game at that distance, but I'm getting close to drawing a late season AZ elk tag, where 400 to 600 yard shots are more common and want to be prepared for that. But if this bullet can't kill an elk at that distance, ill forget about it and keep looking.

Thanks for any feedback fellas.

The ttsx or LRX are a better choice for longer ranges if you want to stick with mono bullets but the tsx should be ok out to 600. With mono bullets velocity is the key. Anything under 2000fps at impact is where I draw the limit in shooting distance personally.
Have you shot at 400-600 to see how they group?

I love the accuracy and performance of the 160 gr TSX in my REM 700 7 Mag. I have had the same results as yours with them. While I would prefer not to do it on my first shot due to lower velocity at long distance, I most certainly will continue to shoot until an animal is finished, at any range. This photo is from a Federal factory 7 Mag with the 160 TSX. It broke both shoulders on a bull elk at 630 yards, and stopped under the hide on the off side.

47146img1849.jpg

If They Performed like Blanks Picture every time they'd be Damn Near Perfect!

[font color="blue"]It Was them Damn Lake Trout that took them Elk
out!:D[/font]

>The ttsx or LRX are a
>better choice for longer ranges
>if you want to stick
>with mono bullets but the
>tsx should be ok out
>to 600. With mono bullets
>velocity is the key. Anything
>under 2000fps at impact is
>where I draw the limit
>in shooting distance personally.
>Have you shot at 400-600 to
>see how they group?

Andrew, No, haven't shot at long distance yet. Only had one box and was wanting to know if these things can kill an Elk first before ide go and buy more. At $50 a box, I don't want to order anymore if I found they aren't worth Elk hunting with. Sounds like they can get the job done, but probably should limit the shot distance. Velocity at 500 yards is 1982 FTPS... Ill try these things out further and see how they do. Might try the TTSX as well.

>I love the accuracy and performance
>of the 160 gr TSX
>in my REM 700 7
>Mag. I have had the
>same results as yours with
>them. While I would prefer
>not to do it on
>my first shot due to
>lower velocity at long distance,
>I most certainly will continue
>to shoot until an animal
>is finished, at any range.
>This photo is from a
>Federal factory 7 Mag with
>the 160 TSX. It broke
>both shoulders on a bull
>elk at 630 yards, and
>stopped under the hide on
>the off side.
>
>
47146img1849.jpg

Blank, thank you for the picture and info. Tough to argue result like yours! If it put an elk down at 630 yards and looked like that afterward, ide say the TSX BT can definitely do a good job at 400 to 500 yards no problem. I do everything in my power to get within easy shooting distance of whatever I hunt, but its good to know this bullet wont just wound something if shooting 500 to 600 yards. I sure am impressed with its accuracy at the range, ill order some more of these and get some practice in. But like you, when elk hunting, I don't stop shooting until the animal is down.

> If They Performed like Blanks
>Picture every time they'd be
>Damn Near Perfect!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]It Was them Damn Lake
>Trout that took them Elk
>
>out!:D[/font]

Bess, so your saying those Yellowstone Lake trout are more effective than Barnes huh!? Might have to try one lol! ;-)

But really, You have some bad experience's with these TSX's?

>> If They Performed like Blanks
>>Picture every time they'd be
>>Damn Near Perfect!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>[font color="blue"]It Was them Damn Lake
>>Trout that took them Elk
>>
>>out!:D[/font]
>
>
>Bess, so your saying those Yellowstone
>Lake trout are more effective
>than Barnes huh!? Might have
>to try one lol! ;-)
>
>
>But really, You have some bad
>experience's with these TSX's?

Not Personally!

But I Do Have Friends & Know others that Have Had Issues!

When They Perform Like Blanks Recovered Slug/Bullet What's there not to like?

The Bullet Expanded nearly Perfectly!

And did so at 600+ Yards!

The Animal 'Took' all the Energy & the Hide Caught the Bullet on the opposite side of Entry!

He Took both Front Shoulders out!

I'll bet 90+% of Bullet weight is still there!

And the SOB is KALI Approved!

I Think for them to Work right you're gonna wanna shoot them in a Caliber that Creates Quite a Bit of Velocity & You'll see less Problems with them!

One Thing about them!

Two things Actually!

If You Wound an Animal He Won't Die of Lead Poisoning!(It;ll be Copper Poisoning and that's a better way to Die!:D)

You Won't Be Responsible for killing/poisoning any Condors!

[font color="blue"]It Was them Damn Lake Trout that took them Elk
out!:D[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-17 AT 08:52AM (MST)[p]You might also try the Barnes Vor-Tex line of ammo with the TTSX. I get excellent results with both my 7Mag and 300RUM with these. They are a little cheaper and sometimes more available.

Have not been able to recover one from the big 300, as they all exited. I have shot one bull, one cow, and a mule deer with them in the 7Mag. The bullets were recovered. The only failure is if they turn around while traversing the wound channel and start to parachute. That will generally fold the petals back on themselves, and break one or more off. The break is very obvious when examined. A lot of times, the bullet base will actually punch a hole in the offside skin, but the petals grab it from exiting.

I have shot one Coues deer at 380 yards with the 300 RUM and 180 gr Scirroccos, but that really isn't a fair test. :)

As for the late season AZ elk, good luck on your draws. We have been extremely lucky to be able to go down 5 times in the last eight years for at least one elk tag each time. Shots average 300 yards, but several have been "reach out and touch them" types of 500 yards or more. Bulls have all been in the 300"-350" range.

I have shot Barnes for years and have never had a problem ! I think you may want to try the TTSX bullet. Some have had problems with the tip of the TSX clogging and not opening sometimes. I think this is one of the reason they have gone to the tipped bullet. Like Elkass says Velocity is your friend with these bullets. But that is the reason most of us shoot them. Problems with lead core bullets coming apart at high velocities. I have hand loaded for my daughters gun and bought the Vor-Tex ammo with great results on both. Eatable as well no lead poisoning ! Plus us plumbers like our copper ! Not sure whats up with elkass? He even gave me a cool copper coin my grand daughter loves to play with to this day. ;-)

I've shot the Barnes X, TSX, and TTSX and most my rifles are loaded right now with the TTSX (although some 270 WSM's have TSX's in them).

Never a problem even at "longer" ranges but if range is a possibility, of the ones I've used, I'd use the TTSX which seems to expand more quickly.

Zeke

I load the 150 grain TTSX in a 7mm Rem Mag. I'm getting 3125 fps at the muzzle. I shot a bull 2 years ago at 610 yards in the shoulder and he simply started rolling down the mountain. Very similar results as Blank specific to the bullet expansion. Not much of a history with the bullet (or any other bullet) as I prefer to archery hunt but I was more than happy with the way it performed. I mostly shoot paper because I just like shooting. I will say they were easy to work up a load for and shoot really well.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-17 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]I don't think I would ever recommend another bullet than a Barnes for Elk! They are the toughest bullets out there and perform well at all distances. They won't "explode" at close range like some other "long range" bullets do.

Here are the only two bullets I have recovered from many elk, the rest blew through. They are 168 TTSX shot from a 300 wsm with MV 3190 fps. the one on the left was a follow up shot on a big bull at 791 yards. I always shoot elk until they are down, tough animals! (Past the recommended range but dropped the bull after breaking the spine)

The other perfect mushroom was a hard quartering away on a cow elk, found on the opposite shoulder under the hide after traveling a few feet through the body.

95268ttsx.jpg

I have shot a lot of elk (and deer,bear,antelope,sheep, coyotes, rock chucks, praire dogs) with my 270 wsm and the 130 gr tsx. All have performed flawlessly. I love them and will never go away from them. Good luck!

The TSX and TTSX bullets are the gold standard for elk bullets. Years ago this was true of the Nolser Partition (which is still a great bullet), but the modern standard is the TSX.

I've taken over 50 elk / red stag / or kudu with the TSX (.277, .284,.308), Never had a problem, and have a handful of bullets like the picture above. Many will be complete pass throughs, however. I've also used them in both smaller and larger calibers (.243,.375 and .416 for example) for both smaller and larger animals, up to hippo and buffalo. Across the board, when paired with appropriate game, the TSX has performed well. I don't advocate using a .243 for hippo or elk, and no reason to use a .416 on antelope, but you seem to be using an appropriate cartridge for elk. 7mm TSX bullets of moderate weight will be "big medicine" for elk hunting.

Bill

Thanks guys, lots of good info and advice here. This site has such a large collective knowledge in every aspect of hunting, its remarkable. It would take me years of trial and error and maybe some not so good results to learn what I just learned here. I appreciate your guys help a lot. Ill try shooting the TTSX in a few weeks. See how they do at close range, then try both out further. Ill keep the TTSX in mind as a primary round, but wont be afraid to use the TSX if it shoots better, just maybe limit my range a bit if I go with that one. Still cant believe how well this ammunition shoots, I'm bummed I didn't try it sooner!

Wildwilderness, that's a stud of a bull! Must have been an old guy to have that type of paddled out back end. Arizona Bull? Congrats on him.

Like others have mentioned the TSX and TTSX are great bullets. I would recommend the TTSX. I think they open a little better with the plastic tip helping especially at longer range and lower velocity.
I reload the TTSX in my .300 Rem SAUM and my sons' .270 WSM's. We have shot 50 plus elk deer, antelope, mountain goats, and ibex with great results and all of them have been one shot kills with none of the animals taking more than two steps after being shot. They also shoot sub MOA in our rifles. They really like a clean barrel though as the groups open up a bit as the barrels get fouled. I used to shoot the partition but had two bullets fail on deer.

Below are a couple of examples of bullets performing at both ends of the spectrum. These are 180 grain TTSX bullets shot from a .300 Rem SAUM at 3200 fps. the bullet on the left was recovered from a mule deer shot at 659 yards. It performed perfectly even on a thin skinned mule deer at extended range and lower velocity. I believe it was 97% weight retainage (lost the plastic tip). the bullet on the right was recovered from an elk shot at 10 yards and blew through both shoulder bones. Although it lost two of the petals I consider it still a good performance by holding up pretty well considering the skelletal impact of both shoulders at that velocity.

64870img1209.jpg

I killed a cow this year at 450 yards. I hit her right in the shoulder bone. I recovered the bullet in the off side shoulder. I shoot a 300wsm with a 168 TTSX at 3175fps. I weighed the bullet and think it was around 150.

Great for deer also. In October I got a complete pass through on a mule deer at 300. Took out both shoulders with enough left to make me think I missed by the dust. Another deer at 440 was hit at the base of the neck and recovered in the opisit shoulder. This deer never flinched the others only went 20yards or so. I love the TTSX. Only one time did i have a deer not bleed due to a high lung hit. It went around 100 yards.

I do have photos of the entrance and exit anyone wants to see them. They are the skinned quarters.

Not sure I'm adding much to the argument, but I will also concur that the TSX, and even more so the TTSX is a good choice for elk. I killed my last bull at 400 with a TTSX from my 7MM Mag.

Strengths: weight retention that provides superior penetration. Wound channel at moderate ranges that include even broken shoulder sockets on moose/elk. Highly forgiving for reloading. Easy to get to shoot sub-moa in many guns. Legal in CA.

Weaknesses: Expensive, if that matters. Flies like a turd(relative to many competitors). Light for length, which when mixed with poor trajectory profile limits effective range, relative to competitors. Make sure you use it in it's effective velocity range, too fast or too slow and you get poor terminal performance.

I can't figure out how to get them up from my phone. If someone PMs me I will text them the photos

Similar question, but I shoot a .270 and have been reloading it with 130 grain Hornady GMX. Has anyone else tried this setup for elk? I mostly get cow tags if that makes a difference. It did just fine on my deer from last year.

Have shooting Barnes for alot of years in STW 7mm ,270, 243 from 50yds to 600yds elk,deer, bears never have recovered one, most don't make it 20yds. won't shoot any other bullet for big game. Good luck

This thread, and others like it wear me out. Work for a good shot, at sensible distances and put it where it counts and stop sweating how the rock was formed. Fer f's sakes!

>This thread, and others like it
>wear me out. Work for
>a good shot, at sensible
>distances and put it where
>it counts and stop sweating
>how the rock was
>formed. Fer f's sakes!

Hey DW, You're right again but for cripe sakes man, it's winter and we have nothing better to do than sit by the fire, have a chew and swap hunting stories and info. (That all sound really good to me right now)

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Feb-07-17 AT 04:34PM (MST)[p]Lol! Zeke. I ran outta Lumber and knocked off early, and well the brewery is right on my way home and they just tapped a new blonde ale and it was purty good! No offense fellers!

Note to self, no more drunk posting!

But seriously, don't leave your elk overnight with the hide on or you'll get my hide up!

The one caution I'll suggest is that, if you're shooting a larger caliber and hunting light, thin skinned game, consider using the ttsx instead of tsx. I lost a blackmail once that I shot with my .338 and a 225 gr tsx. It was 150 yards, broadside and I was shooting off a very stable rest. The shot felt great, the buck kicked his back legs out and took off. Just found a couple drops of blood, despite looking for about 5 hours. I knew that buck was shot well and suspected that the bullet may not have opened up. Sure enough, my son found the buck's skeleton during the following spring turkey season. I also shot another black tail with my 338 where it looked like he'd been shot with a solid. Same size hole coming out as going in.

I think the tipped triple shock X takes care of ensuring they always open. So does shooting lighter calibers when hunting smaller animals like black tails or pronghorns.

i haven't used it on elk as of yet, but did shoot a big B.C. black bear with a TTSX in .338 win mag and it performed flawlessly. i personally wouldn't have any reservations using it on elk.

I'd recommend the TTSX for reloading and factory ammo. If you're only shooting factory ammo, federal trophy coppers are awesome also. My go to rifle is a Kimber 30.06 shooting 180 trophy coppers. TTSX and trophy coppers are similarly constructed bullets. Matter of fact, I'd say they are identical.

In November I shot a NV bull slightly quartered away at 296 yards. It was a standing shot as the bull ducked his head under a pinyon juniper. My shot placement was off. I hit him at the top of the left shoulder. Hit both lungs and he dropped 40 yards from where he was shot. You can see the entry and exit in the picture.

Short story long, I like both bullets. I just wish Federal would sell the trophy coppers as a reloading component.

86214img20161112094604.jpg

Got a box of the TTSX's. Gonna see how they shoot one of these weekends. Most of the time I hunt deer, and I figure they may work better on deer than the TSX. Thanks for posting your experiences guys.

jgriffin, care to post a picture of your NV bull, head attached to carcass? ;-)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-17 AT 07:28PM (MST)[p]My biggest bull to date. A nice 6x6 but probably not worth the 11 points! I wanted Freezer full of meat though. I shot him the last day after seeing around 40 bulls in 7 days and passing bigger. I blew a second day stalk on a big 7x7. I learned more on this elk hunt than the previous 12 years worth. That added a lot of value to the trip.

I should clarify, of those 40 bulls, 20 or so were in one group on the 6th day running from a white Chevy truck and a gang of Atv hunters! I didn't see a cow the whole time I hunted. I thought that was strange!

72605img2016111121564001.jpg

Sounds like a great hunt to me! Getting a monster would be great, but getting to hunt hard for a week, and coming away with a personal best at the end is as satisfying as a hunt could get. Congrats, and thanks for sharing a pic.

I have watched (I use Accubonds) more animals (deer elk) get shot by Barnes. Too many to describe where there was very little shock and little expansion. Ya, they will go end to end-breaking bone. It seems to make pinholes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom