barrel free float Q?

manny53

Long Time Member
i just picked up a 6.5prc in the christensen arms sporter barrel, i ran a piece of paper down between the barrel and stock the paper to check the freefloat n the paper stopped when i hit the spot where the barrel channel widens bout 2 in before the recoil lug.

i have always, free floated my barrels all the way to the lug is this wrong because i jut called them C,A and they said thats ok... just wondering if anyone has any tips on this?

How does it shoot? Are you worrying about something that's immaterial? The reason for bedding is to give the action a solid foundation to restrict movement to enhance accuracy. Remember a bedded or unbedded barrel rotates on a 360 degree axis and the lighter the contour the more flex you will see in a barrel. The bigger contour lets the barrel flex less. Remember the old theory about Weatherby's light contour having a buggy whip action but yet many of them were fine shooting rifles. If it shoots great enjoy it if not then worry about the issue. The fact is it's not going to hurt a thing and some guns have the entire length of the barrel channel bedded and shoot light's out. Christensen knows how to build guns that shoot so go play with it and have fun. Believe me if you're shooting great groups you won't care about where they stopped the bedding.;)(y)

Last edited:
Manny
Some people bed 1-2” from the recoil lug under the shank. Others free float all the way to the lug. I’ve used both methods but currently bed just to the lug. Nothing under the shank.
Like stated. I’d shoot it and see how it does in a couple 5 shot groups at least.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom