Barrel length and MV/accuracy

Deepcolor

I am bumping around for a new rifle and have found myself with a first world problem. The rifle I have selected (Bergara B14 HMR in 7 mag) comes with a 24? barrel and threaded for a brake. Several others are fitted with a 26? barrel but not ready for a break.

Question for the pros here. Can you over come the barrel length with load development to get the same velocity of the 26? tube?

Is there a measurable difference in accuracy between the two different lengths?

24? has 1 in 9 twist
26? has 1 in 9.25 twist

And go.

I would get the 26" barrel....because I would never put a brake on it.

you might get close to 100fps more out of the 26 but no improvement in accuracy.....

in the real world....no animal you hunt will know the difference....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Some of the shooters are going with 24 ? barrels because they are more manageable when you screw a suppressor on the end. Accuracy has really nothing to do with velocity. In most cases we slow our velocity to improve accuracy. In most case? s in some we like a little speed. But you don't need a hot rod to shoot 1000 yards. A muzzle break helps hold the rifle barrel down so you can see the bullet impact. But with a lot of noise . How?s your hearing? With can?s so relatively easy to get these days. A lot competitive shooters have gone this way . It has been gaining strength in the hunting world for the last few years. Spotters can communicate with their hunters better. It also protects your hearing. I have a couple sets of electronic hearing protection. The good stuff is expensive. But still a pain in the butt. So you may choose to go in this direction. I am waiting for my first real can to get out of jail. I really waited to long to get it. Finally got tired of waiting for the government to do something. My main hunting rifle has a 27? barrel. It is a long son of a bee with a can screwed to the end of it. Even with a over the barrel Suppressor on it.

Don?t get hung up on velocities. Accuracy will always Trump velocity. Put a break on it, a rifle with less muzzle jump and recoil makes a world of difference when it comes to comfortably and confidently being able to shoot a rifle even if it comes with some added noise. I run breaks on all my rifles from 6mm creedmoor to 300 RUM.

Coloradoboy

>Thanks for the input. The water
>is still a little muddy.
>

Okay let me clear the waters for you. Get the 24 inch barrel rifle and screw a muzzle break on it . Now you have your 26 inch but probably more like a 27 inch long rifle barrel. It will give your more options to grow with your new rifle. Maybe I see a silencer in your future. ??

Deep,

All things being equal (which they rarely are) a shorter barrel is more stiff and might shoot better. You'll never see a long barrel on a benchrest gun BUT in the real work this is just splitting hairs on a hunting rifle.

Realistically the speed difference is generally about 70 fps but this is generally speaking.

Story time: I have a rifle with a 26" barrel and my brother's is 24. Same cartridge, same reamer, same load and his 24 shoots faster than my 26. Some barrels are faster while others are slower for no apparent reason.

I have hunting rifles from 20 to 28" barrels and of course they're for kind of specific purposed.

JT is right, a 24" with a can or brake is how I'd roll but then again I've become TOTALLY in love with suppressors for ALL OF THE OBVIOUS REASONS.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I love suppressors too.....I'll just never be allowed to touch one in Mexifornia....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I inquired with Hart barrel about getting a new barrel with a muzzle brake. I was told a 24" barrel with a 2" brake is not the same as a 26" barrel. Muzzle brakes dont give you that little bump of speed. This is what Hart told me and they seem to know their #####.

>I inquired with Hart barrel about
>getting a new barrel with
>a muzzle brake. I was
>told a 24" barrel with
>a 2" brake is not
>the same as a 26"
>barrel. Muzzle brakes dont give
>you that little bump of
>speed. This is what Hart
>told me and they seem
>to know their #####.

Muzzle breaks add length to a barrel. But don't make a barrel longer. If you get what I mean. My rifle has a 27 inch barrel with a muzzle break on it. It is 30 inches long. My suppressor is a over the barrel suppressor . Meaning it slides over my barrel four inches to help with the overall length. But it is still really long. That why a lot of the guys a use 24 inch barrels when running a can. They are so long the get a little had to handle. Mine is not very hard to screw on in the field and I can carry it in my pack.

>I inquired with Hart barrel about
>getting a new barrel with
>a muzzle brake. I was
>told a 24" barrel with
>a 2" brake is not
>the same as a 26"
>barrel. Muzzle brakes dont give
>you that little bump of
>speed. This is what Hart
>told me and they seem
>to know their #####.

duh.....