Bass hill archery

blcktail

Wondering if anyone has info on bass hill. We are seeing 22 to 24 inch bucks consistently, but holding out for something bigger. Are we being reasonable? If the weather was looking better we would keep holding off, but it snowed the first weekend and has been sunny since. The rut seems like it is getting slower and slower. A lot of does are by themselves, or have small bucks with them. Do think the bigger bucks are still up high? Thanks in advance for any info.

I wouldnt pass up any 24 inch buck if it had good deep forks,I realy dont know much about that bass hill hunt but I can say I have never heard of a 30 inch buck from there so if thats what your mark is I think your sights would be set to high. allso I am not saying there are not 30inchers there because on the doyle hunt 1 or two are killed every year so I would think some could be around I just never see them or hear of them,good luck and I hope you get one.

The ones we passed didn't have that great of forks except maybe one and we seen him the first weekend. Not expecting a 30". Wondering if upper 20's is out of the question specially with the rut seeming like it's getting worse and the weather forecast

Friend of a Good friend took a decent 30" buck off that unit this week. Doesn't look like the weather is going to be your allies but nothing wrong with a good 24" buck.

PM me if you want, i may be able to help you.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

One of my buddies arrowed a nice 4x4 that was just over 29 inches wide last weekend....after trying to seal the deal on a nice 5x5.

Move around a lot. Those bucks are constantly wandering, up and moving around. Highs today were in the low 40s, lows in the teens so they'll be moving most of the day. moon is growing and rut mostly over so it'll be tough from here on out.

IMO the Sunday after Thanksgiving marks the end of the "I'm stupid" rut. Not to say you won't see a buck with his neck streched out, licking his nose while it's up some doe's arse. But for the most part it's over.

24" heavy and deep forks is a good buck around here. 29-30"? Yea they happen but it's not the norm.

Thanks for all the info. We seen some good ones today. The rut seemed like it was on today. It's crazy how fast it changes. Sure is a lot of fun. I killed one today...will post pics as soon as the hunt is over. Appreciate all the info

Hey Blktail...
If you don't mind, could you pm me or post how many points you and your group had to draw this year?

Congrats on being successful- looking forward to your pics.

Wondering if anyone hit a buck and couldn't find it, or if anyone knows if someone did. We found one dead today. Not sure what the cause of death was, as it was ate up pretty good but the horns are still there. It was in the Cheney creek area. If anyone knows anything PM me what size the buck was and we will get the hunter his buck.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-11 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]How are you guys doing these last couple days? I got a buck last night finally he's not quite as big as others I was chasing around but still a good one. He was chasing a doe but not like it was 2 weeks ago. Hope you guys have some good luck.

"Lets see some pics."

+1

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

54912011_buck.jpg

77892011_buck_2.jpg

cool looking buck,I wouldnt of passed him up with a bow getting towards the end of the season.Did you get any pics of the other bucks you were after?

Nice buck cabowhunter. Actually got that pic on my cell phone...crazy how fast they get around. We have been getting on some nice ones but cant seem to seal the deal. You think you have all the deer spotted then when you get up close another one busts them that we didn't see. And a couple easy missed shots lol. The bucks are smart again too, the stupid rut has been over for a while like Caelkslayer said. I'll post pics next Friday when I get back to my computer.

Well here is the 3 bucks we harvested. They werent the biggest 3 we seen, but it was one of the most fun hunts Ive ever been on. Seen a lot of bucks and met some good people.

I am the top pic mine was a 23" 4x4.

My brother is the middle pic his was also a 23" 4x4. After almost giving up on the second to last day I talked him into staying for the last day, good thing we did.

The bottom photo is a friend, he got a little impatient. His is a 18" 3x3.

Sorry for pic quality they are all cell phone pics.

8374basshillbuck.jpg

1756brian.jpg

7053steve.jpg

Really Nice representative bucks for the area! Seeing them and then putting them on the ground is a way different thing. Looks like you guys did great to me. Thanks for the pic's and...

Congrats!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom