BBD and he tastes great!

liecabucks

Very Active Member
Well boys and girls I’ve had a hell of a summer and fall. Me and the boy glassed a small bachelor heard around 11:00 AM one weekend the end of July from 2.5-3 miles away. One looked promising so the next weekend I slipped away and turned up the group again but this time cutting the distance to a mile. It was immediately apparent one in the group would be my target buck for the season. Little did I know he would consume my dreams also. I lost count of the day’s me and the boy spent looking for him but I do know we located him a total of 13 days. I moved camps two days before the rifle opener on a hunch he had changed up his routine due to the hot weather, rubbing velvet and getting his fall coat. I hadn’t laid eyes on him for 8 days and was getting anxiety.

I bushwhacked my way up the ridge to setup my new camp that would give me visual into his wheelhouse and more importantly a shot opportunity minutes from my tent.

Opening morning rolled around quickly. This had to be day 20+ spent in pursuit of this dream buck. I was in position 5 minutes after technical first light, glassing and reglassing the terrain in front of me religiously. Every deer I turned was in my mind “him”. 9:30 rolled around and I was just getting “sun screwed” and debating how many more times I would scan the same hillside I couldn’t even see now when I caught a buck just barely out of the sun path. It was him, still feeding at 9:45. I immediately got the shakes. I moved my spotter and tripod out of the way and grabbed my rifle, dialing 12.5 MOA per my ballistic calculator. I would take the shot, battling sun now as he stepped from behind the pine cluster. I could hardly make him out with the sun in my eyes as he cleared the tree. I flipped the safety forward as the crosshairs settled in place. I was rudely startled when the trigger broke and the recoil hit my shoulder. I didn’t know If the shot was good or not but I chambered another round and let it fly too. I immediately got behind the spotter, looking for any movement. Shortly after I found him propped up in a pine patch 50 yards from the initial shot. My thoughts were to send another one just before he laid down and offered me no shot. We played this up and down game for the next 65 minutes until the movement stopped and I was sure he’d given up. To make sure, I gave him another 30 minutes, grabbed some snow for water and headed his way. Essentially I played my cards like I was hunting a bedded buck, using the wind best I could and sliding in from the side. Just when I decided I was within 50 yards and needed to drop everything but my rifle, I looked up the hill......antler tips! He was dead.

I spent the next 2 hours taking it all in and realizing what had just taken place over the last 2 months. It was surreal and I wished at this point I was sharing it with my son. It has been a journey I was happy to share with my boy, I think his fire was ignited.

3D59007D-D4A7-4754-A543-2B0B96B14445.jpeg

6E5C2B80-840E-45D8-BBBE-FA83DF8CB18C.jpeg

60EA4FDB-FACB-432C-8D83-AEB0BBE7FC1D.jpeg

0F2B38BC-57DE-4E86-8DE6-F44095D12C93.jpeg

C939B6EF-4098-4090-8917-5D1E5635DAA4.jpeg

7F6EF314-40EB-4A75-B876-A365B748537F.jpeg

FC5711FA-A308-42E9-BC3C-72F7DD4021CE.jpeg

29C15CA0-A6F5-47EB-B334-178541C4C698.jpeg

Well boys and girls I’ve had a hell of a summer and fall. Me and the boy glassed a small bachelor heard around 11:00 AM one weekend the end of July from 2.5-3 miles away. One looked promising so the next weekend I slipped away and turned up the group again but this time cutting the distance to a mile. It was immediately apparent one in the group would be my target buck for the season. Little did I know he would consume my dreams also. I lost count of the day’s me and the boy spent looking for him but I do know we located him a total of 13 days. I moved camps two days before the rifle opener on a hunch he had changed up his routine due to the hot weather, rubbing velvet and getting his fall coat. I hadn’t laid eyes on him for 8 days and was getting anxiety.

I bushwhacked my way up the ridge to setup my new camp that would give me visual into his wheelhouse and more importantly a shot opportunity minutes from my tent.

Opening morning rolled around quickly. This had to be day 20+ spent in pursuit of this dream buck. I was in position 5 minutes after technical first light, glassing and reglassing the terrain in front of me religiously. Every deer I turned was in my mind “him”. 9:30 rolled around and I was just getting “sun screwed” and debating how many more times I would scan the same hillside I couldn’t even see now when I caught a buck just barely out of the sun path. It was him, still feeding at 9:45. I immediately got the shakes. I moved my spotter and tripod out of the way and grabbed my rifle, dialing 12.5 MOA per my ballistic calculator. I would take the shot, battling sun now as he stepped from behind the pine cluster. I could hardly make him out with the sun in my eyes as he cleared the tree. I flipped the safety forward as the crosshairs settled in place. I was rudely startled when the trigger broke and the recoil hit my shoulder. I didn’t know If the shot was good or not but I chambered another round and let it fly too. I immediately got behind the spotter, looking for any movement. Shortly after I found him propped up in a pine patch 50 yards from the initial shot. My thoughts were to send another one just before he laid down and offered me no shot. We played this up and down game for the next 65 minutes until the movement stopped and I was sure he’d given up. To make sure, I gave him another 30 minutes, grabbed some snow for water and headed his way. Essentially I played my cards like I was hunting a bedded buck, using the wind best I could and sliding in from the side. Just when I decided I was within 50 yards and needed to drop everything but my rifle, I looked up the hill......antler tips! He was dead.

I spent the next 2 hours taking it all in and realizing what had just taken place over the last 2 months. It was surreal and I wished at this point I was sharing it with my son. It has been a journey I was happy to share with my boy, I think his fire was ignited.

View attachment 13164

View attachment 13165

View attachment 13166

View attachment 13167

View attachment 13168

View attachment 13169

View attachment 13170

View attachment 13171

Amazing story and am even better buck!! Well deserved after all the hours spent afield. I appreciate seeing the pics with your boys at the top of the mountain.

liecabucks
You’ve done it once again on a great buck!
The rack is really cool the way the G4’s flare out like that.
He has everything you could ask for in a giant mule deer.
The best part is you had a great hunt and a good time doing it.
Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Thanks all. Bucksnducks that is a crazy creek chair, I think they have 3 models. The one I use now doubles as a thin ground pad if I need extra insulation or I’ve used it alone when it’s super warm. I dont go anywhere without it. For me it’s the most important part of my glassing setup. There are days when I’ll sit from dark to dark in this thing only getting up to pee!

Lieca-

Congrats on another smoker buck! You sure know how to get it done. Any chance you would be willing to post a phot of your trophy room? I can recall you posting several awesome bucks over the years but it would be fun to have a refresher post. Great job buddy!

Hawkeye

Thank you. Been carrying that around for a long time waiting for a buck that would have had grandpas blessing. Means a lot to me, thanks for noticing Chester..

Lieca-

Congrats on another smoker buck! You sure know how to get it done. Any chance you would be willing to post a phot of your trophy room? I can recall you posting several awesome bucks over the years but it would be fun to have a refresher post. Great job buddy!

Hawkeye

Hawkeye, my wall situation and living arrangements the last year or so made me decide to hold up on Finishing the two mounts from 18’ for a minute. I’ll see if I can get them finished up soon and post something.

Lieca,
WOW man congrats on a killer muley buck!!! Such a cool set of antlers. Love the character but especially the MASS!
Super cool pics and really neat to see yer Son in them too and excited with the muley bug too! My son is 15 and I sure enjoy taking him too. Love to see that gold ring on yer scope too! Thanks for supporting us here at Leupold, Made in the USA!
CBTH

Great buck and a great story. You are truly deserving and worthy. And taking your son and sharing it with him makes it double cool. Thanks for sharing.

Lieca,
WOW man congrats on a killer muley buck!!! Such a cool set of antlers. Love the character but especially the MASS!
Super cool pics and really neat to see yer Son in them too and excited with the muley bug too! My son is 15 and I sure enjoy taking him too. Love to see that gold ring on yer scope too! Thanks for supporting us here at Leupold, Made in the USA!
CBTH
I can’t even imagine not sharing my passion with my son now.... It wasn’t long ago I couldn’t imagine having to deal with “having” one to “hold” me back!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom