BC/Alberta Crossing?

RockyDog

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-03 AT 03:02PM (MST)[p]If any of you canucks would mind sharing your knowledge on the laws of bringing antlers into the US i would appreciate it.

If I am in Canada this summer would they let me bring shed antlers across or would they take them from me at crossing/port?

I'm uncertain what happens at the border. I wouldn't think that it would be an issue. They are not part of the CITES ban on the trade of wildlife parts. They don't represent a dead animal so no tags are needed. I would say the only thing that might prohibit it would be the fear of CWD. Alberta has had CWD issues with farmed elk, I don't know if they have had any cases in wild populations though. BC has had no CWD issues. I would give US customs a call and find out what the deal is. With the crack down on the borders with BC POT and the War on Terror you'd want to have your ducks in order before you tried it.

A friend of mine buys alot of antlers from CA, and brings them back to the US. If I remember right, sheds are not problem but if its a rack or cut "offs" I think you have to get a tag for each rack or cut off, unless they are cut above the burr so that no one can tell if it was a rack or a shed. I don't know for sure and the laws may have changed, I am tring to remember from quite a few years ago.

Ivan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom