Bear - 1st combined rifle season

300wtby

Guys, I just got my Colorado regs in the mail yesterday. Planning on hunting in the Gunnison National Forest the 1st combined season (October 24 - November 1st). I've never hunted this area before so I'm not too familiar with the area. I'm going with my nephew and his dad. They have hunted here before. I'm curious about the chances of seeing a bear during that season. Is it worth purchasing a bear tag or will they be denned up? I know there are many factors including the weather but just looking for some advice.

Thanks,

300 Wtby

Dave

Plenty on bear in that area. 1st is a great bear season with the added bonus of hunting over a fresh gut pile.

Pretty late in the year for much bear activity. Not saying you couldn’t run into one but bears become very dormant after September when the temperatures drop and the snow begins to fly.

Thanks, for the replies. I got to looking at the regs and it doesn't look like you can hunt (unit 521) during the 1st season. They only offer a bear season for limited licenses for September 2 - 30.

Take Care,

300 Wtby

Dave

They are over the counter for during the 2nd Rifle Season (1st Combined) when you will be in 521. It is on Page 67 of the Regs. For $101, you should be able to buy one anytime up until the season starts. Not sure if it is worth it or not, but they will likely still be out and about during the end of October depending on the weather. It would stink if you see one, but the odds are probably 5% that you would have a shot at one (at least that is how often I see one that time of year). Not sure if those odds are worth $100 or not?

Thanks, I will have to consider it. For $100, what the heck, better safe than sorry.

Have a nice weekend!

Dave

Thanks, I will have to consider it. For $100, what the heck, better safe than sorry.

Have a nice weekend!

Dave
This is exactly what cpwd was counting on when the tags were reduced in price. Id like to know how much more revenue the reduced tags brought in last year. I heard that exact phrase 100 times from elk hunters last year that never saw a bear track much less a bear

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom