Bear claws

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
Hey I my dad had a couple of bear rugs that got wet and rotted over the years. Anyways the rugs are gone but I saved all the claws. I want to make sort of an Indian/Mountain Man necklace and want to use the claws. That first pad,hair and skin is really tough to get off the claws.

What is the best way to go about it...I was thinking about just soaking them in water to make it easier....any other tricks?????

Thanks

I haven't tried on any bear claws, but I had some elk ivories I made a necklace out of. I had to get the skin and gum line off. I just put them in a pan with some water and simmered them on the stove top. Then scrub at them with a wire brush. Hope it works!

soak first in warm water and the claws actually are hollow on the back side and should pull off. Think of the claw as a sheath and the base as a knife and that's how they come apart

Thanks guys I just sort of cut the old skin off an picked away....did'nt take as long as I thought. Now finishing the ideas on the necklace. I will post when done.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom