Bear Hide

TerynItUp

Not sure what to do with the bear hide I have and could use some help. I thought I would do a rug with a soft tan until I saw how expensive it is, about fell over after hearing how much that costs. Is it worth doing anything else with for a couple hundred bucks? If not I am just going to find someone who wants it and give it away or sell for cheap.

Any ideas?

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

That is what I was thinking, just droop it over a couch or something. I guess I am confused on what types of tanning services there are and need to do some more research. Someone told me that to do a soft tan is upwards of $1,000 and that seemed crazy to me. My wife would tan my hide.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

My bear rug was not cheap at all, but it does make a great trophy.

I was looking at that link above and the second one on the list the Andrea's, says it does bear rugs up to six feet for $250, that sounds super low to me, but worth a call and a drive to Arizona for that price.

The ruggers only do the "rugging". Taxidermist will send them the mounted head with tanned skin, and the ruggers stretch, trim, and sew on the backing.

If you're talking a completed taxidermy rug open mouth then yes your looking at $1100 plus depending on the liner foot of the bear. Now if you just want the hide tanned with no head or feet then your looking at about $300 to get it done.

Now if you wanna save yourself money and have an entire weekend available then get a knife and remove every inch of fat and membrane off the entire hide. Remove the toe bones to the last digit and flesh out all the head area to include turning the eyes,and ears. Now go buy 100 lbs of non iodized sat and coat entire hide and leave at a slope for 24 hours. Repeat a 2nd time. Then let air dry for 24 hours. Box up and send to a tannery. The feet are always fun those should take you a good hour or so per foot. Or you can always take it to a professional taxidermist and get it done. Let us know how it goes when your 5 6 7 8 hours into it.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom