Bear Hunting WY....

elks96

Long Time Member
So my son just turned 12. He has been hunting spring turkey for the last several years, and this year turkey is not his thing. With WY we have new possibilities like the spring bear hunt. I have been reading general pointers and trying to figure out the best options for a spring hunt.

Any pointers for WY spring bear hunts? Anyone know when the units typically close? I know one area we plan to hunt does not have a female quota closure, it is not very great area, but I have seen a few bears. Also not afraid to hit up some areas with grizzly, but prefer to avoid it possible.

When looking at bait are there limited number of baits sights in the state? Does everyone draw for a bait or if I have a spot where there is not currently a bait can I apply and have it approved?

So my son just turned 12. He has been hunting spring turkey for the last several years, and this year turkey is not his thing. With WY we have new possibilities like the spring bear hunt. I have been reading general pointers and trying to figure out the best options for a spring hunt.

Any pointers for WY spring bear hunts? Anyone know when the units typically close? I know one area we plan to hunt does not have a female quota closure, it is not very great area, but I have seen a few bears. Also not afraid to hit up some areas with grizzly, but prefer to avoid it possible.

When looking at bait are there limited number of baits sights in the state? Does everyone draw for a bait or if I have a spot where there is not currently a bait can I apply and have it approved?
Message me, I've hunted Wyoming bear for decades. This is my grandson's bear from 2021
DSC03058.jpg

DSC03053.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

Many are taken just using Spot and Stalk. Glassing as much country and having good vantage points are keys to success. If it’s a mild winter hunt early as the boars are the first to emerge and they rub very quickly. Call your area Biologist and talk to any livestock producers as they can guide you into a good area.

. If it’s a mild winter hunt early as the boars are the first to emerge and they rub very quickly.
Anyone who actually hunts bear and doesn't just google and paste information, knows the mature boars are last to rub in the spring, many times well after the rut is over, mild winter or not.

Anyone who actually hunts bear and doesn't just google and paste information, knows the mature boars are last to rub in the spring, many times well after the rut is over, mild winter or not.
Yeah rubs are never a problem in late spring. LMFAO.:devilish::alien::devilish::alien::devilish::alien:
“The main thing concerning hunters about in regards to hide quality is rubbing. A bear may have a perfect hide, but be rubbed bad on one side or another. Often it is on the rump. During the late spring, most bears will begin to rub as the temperature rises and the winter coat becomes more of an irritant. If you are going to make a rug, a rub is a problem.” http://www.bear-hunting.com/2020/7/black-bear-hide-quality

Yeah rubs are never a problem in late spring. LMFAO.:devilish::alien::devilish::alien::devilish::alien:
“The main thing concerning hunters about in regards to hide quality is rubbing. A bear may have a perfect hide, but be rubbed bad on one side or another. Often it is on the rump. During the late spring, most bears will begin to rub as the temperature rises and the winter coat becomes more of an irritant. If you are going to make a rug, a rub is a problem.” http://www.bear-hunting.com/2020/7/black-bear-hide-quality
Like I said, you have to actually be a bear hunter and not a google artist. Most sows and sub-adults rub by May 15th, but not mature boars.
MFDC6452.jpg

May 24th, rubbed sow, beautiful, unrubbed boar.
Cdy00008.jpg

June 1st, rubbed sow, beautiful unrubbed boar. Believe all the garbage you can google up, it just shows you are the ignorant person who doesn't know anything about black bears.

Perhaps you should occasionally do a google search as many of those Wyoming Black bear areas are open until June 15th. It can be a BIG problem in late spring, especially in recent dry springs we’ve had. Your IGNORANCE and misinformation as always apparent……:devilish::alien::devilish::alien::devilish::alien:
96B38346-1791-40A1-888E-49348C6A116B.jpeg

Perhaps you should occasionally do a google search as many of those Wyoming Black bear areas are open until June 15th. It can be a BIG problem in late spring, especially in recent dry springs we’ve had. Your IGNORANCE and misinformation as always apparent……:devilish::alien::devilish::alien::devilish::alien:
Keep making a fool of yourself googleman.
unnamed-4.png

July 17th, unrubbed boar.
Cdy00008 copy.jpg

June 18th, unrubbed boar
DSC00165[1].jpg

May 23rd, unrubbed hawg

Elks, very fun spring activity to get into, has become very popular thus bait sites are harder to come by but can still be grabbed. Personally I think baiting is the way to go, get to see some pretty cool stuff up close and personal, just watching cubs at play is worth it in itself!! Seasons usually close varying from year to year where we hunt and sometimes quotas never met but they have upped them quite a bit. Good luck, PM sent

Elks, very fun spring activity to get into, has become very popular thus bait sites are harder to come by but can still be grabbed. Personally I think baiting is the way to go, get to see some pretty cool stuff up close and personal, just watching cubs at play is worth it in itself!! Seasons usually close varying from year to year where we hunt and sometimes quotas never met but they have upped them quite a bit. Good luck, PM sent
Go bait a whitetail DD! Bait is for #^*#^*

Now your talking my area of expertise. A big older boar is the last to rub. They have shorter hair than the younger boars. We hunt big boars through the 2nd rut to end of June. By 3rd week of May any 4 to 10 year old boars are rubbed silly and in June look like mangy coyotes. While some of our older bears in June might have some thinning on the hinds or a small rubbed spot they rarely have complete bald spots and never the whole back half missing like younger boars do. By the way boars don't fully reach maturity and stop growing till 14 to 16 years. But what do I know...we killed 22 bears this spring 14, 7ft to 7ft 5 and we do that every year.

By 3rd week of May any 4 to 10 year old boars are rubbed silly and in June look like mangy coyotes.
Those bears in my photos are not 14+ year old boars. The dead bear was tooth aged at 10 years old. Obviously, where I hunt the boars rub later than where you hunt Brad. It would be extremely rare for me to see a boar over 5 years rubbed like you describe the third week of May. In fact in three decades I never have. Sows and younger bears seem to rub in the den or as soon as they get out.

The worst bear to shoot, no matter how big, is a rubbed bear. The hide is the trophy IMO.

Those bears in my photos are not 14+ year old boars. The dead bear was tooth aged at 10 years old. Obviously, where I hunt the boars rub later than where you hunt Brad. It would be extremely rare for me to see a boar over 5 years rubbed like you describe the third week of May. In fact in three decades I never have. Sows and younger bears seem to rub in the den or as soon as they get out.

The worst bear to shoot, no matter how big, is a rubbed bear. The hide is the trophy IMO.
I was partially agreeing with you hope that didn't come across the wrong way. I bet you're higher in mountains than me. My two biggest bears came off deep canyons and were in cattle pastures rutting. Our age class is different too on the Rez as we are only ones that hunt bears there rez residents don't hunt bears.

Elks,
If I'm still in your phone, shoot me a text. I might have local info to help.

Zeke

You've been waiting to go to a unit, vacation planned, ooops, sorry, the season is closed because guys can't tell a sow from a boar. Many times the unit is closed LONG before the official season closes.

I'd go to the NW corner, or keep driving to Idaho.

You've been waiting to go to a unit, vacation planned, ooops, sorry, the season is closed because guys can't tell a sow from a boar. Many times the unit is closed LONG before the official season closes.

I'd go to the NW corner, or keep driving to Idaho.
Take your vacation earlier. #problemsolver

Killing any sows sucks period, but unless you hunt bears alot it happens. Most people don't hunt bears enough to judge the difference. A lone bear can be hard too judge. Old sow will have a fat crease on her head and even a blocky enough snout that would compare to a mature boar. Also in the fall I've seen them with their belly dragging on ground because their pregnant with cubs and putting on fat like crazy. That's why I only like to shoot boars in the spring during the rut and with hot sows...only then is the judging of boars easy. Just have to determine if it's a young sow which will be skinny or a mature sow. My summer bear from last year was 3 times the size of the mature sow he was on...no ground shrinkage there.

Killing any sows sucks period, but unless you hunt bears alot it happens. Most people don't hunt bears enough to judge the difference. A lone bear can be hard too judge. Old sow will have a fat crease on her head and even a blocky enough snout that would compare to a mature boar. Also in the fall I've seen them with their belly dragging on ground because their pregnant with cubs and putting on fat like crazy. That's why I only like to shoot boars in the spring during the rut and with hot sows...only then is the judging of boars easy. Just have to determine if it's a young sow which will be skinny or a mature sow. My summer bear from last year was 3 times the size of the mature sow he was on...no ground shrinkage there.
I get what you're saying but when a season closes mid June as per regulation, and it's closed in May due to sow mortality, come on, Know what you're looking at. The best part of the season hasn't even arrived yet...... Oh, take vacation earlier. Spoken like a sow killer.

I get what you're saying but when a season closes mid June as per regulation, and it's closed in May due to sow mortality, come on, Know what you're looking at. The best part of the season hasn't even arrived yet...... Oh, take vacation earlier. Spoken like a sow killer.
I hear ya, go hunt Montana then...great state for bear hunting. In my experience I'd rather judge a nanny from a Billy then a solo old sow from a solo younger mature boar. Hardest thing to judge in the lower 48 in my experience is a true trophy 7ft boar by himself spot and stalk....can't do it...impossible. Baiting is different because you can use measurements around your bait but really old huge boars rarely come to bait in daylight hours anyways.

Yeah ok, roads still snowed in. Why?
Don’t hunt the roads. If the quota is reached sounds like lots of real hunters figured out how to get in there and kill bears.

Nothing wrong with shooting a sow. Most hunters couldn’t tell a sow from a boar.

You really shouldn’t be using lead bullets. I can tell you’ve ate too much lead in your life ???

That should be the least of your concern. I talked with doubledrop today and lets just say sweetwater county and horses. You can fill in the blank

Last edited:
No nothing worse than shooting a bear just for it’s hide. If you don’t eat the meat you should get a tattoo on your head that says d bag.
Agreed no complaints there. I think if you shoot a sow, you should sit the bench for a year and have a temporary tattoo that says “d bag in training”

Last edited:

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom