Bear Mauling (Tim Treadwell)

A

AntlerKing

On the Today Show I heard about this, did any of you see this? What do you think of Tim Treadwell, he talked to the bears like a 8 year old kid? I'm not surprised he was killed by one.

Fatal bear mauling recorded on tape
The remains of Timothy Treadwell, right, and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard were found Monday.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- The graphic sounds of a deadly bear attack in the Alaska wilderness were captured on tape, revealing a wildlife author's final, frantic screams as he tried to fend off the beast, authorities said Wednesday.

Trooper Chris Hill said the tape suggests a video camera was turned on just before Timothy Treadwell was attacked at his campsite. His girlfriend, Amie Huguenard, was later mauled to death by a bear. The recording is audio only, and the screen is blank for all six minutes.

"They're both screaming, she's telling him to play dead, then it changes to fighting back. He asks her to hit the bear," Hill said. "There's so much noise going on. I don't know what's him and what might be an animal.

"It's pretty disturbing. I keep hearing it in my mind."

The remains of Treadwell, 46, and Huguenard, 37, both of Malibu, California, were found Monday at Katmai National Park and Preserve on the Alaska Peninsula. Treadwell was known for approaching, even touching, bears in the wild.

An air taxi pilot who arrived to pick up the couple contacted the National Park Service and troopers to report a brown bear was apparently sitting on top of human remains in the camp.

A ranger shot and killed a large brown bear when the animal charged at them through the dense brush. Troopers and rangers later killed a smaller bear apparently stalking them.

Hill said he was stunned by what he heard on the tape.

"The audio starts while he's being mauled and ends while he's being mauled," Hill said.

Treadwell may have heard a bear and asked Huguenard to turn on the camera, which was found with the lens cap on and packed in a camera bag, Hill said.

"At first, she sounds kind of surprised and asks if it's still out there. I'm not sure if she was asking if a bear was outside their tent or in the brush," Hill said. "The audio stops because the tape runs out. Otherwise, it probably would have captured the whole thing."

Hill said he will attempt to transcribe the tape. But there are no plans to make the recording or transcripts public, trooper spokesman Greg Wilkinson said.

Troopers recovered video and still photography equipment as well as three hours of earlier video footage from the site, across Shelikof Strait from Kodiak Island.

Much of the footage is close-up shots of bears. Some scenes show bears no more than a few feet from Treadwell, co-author of "Among Grizzlies: Living With Wild Bears in Alaska." Others show a more timid Huguenard leaning away as bears come close to her on the bank of a river.

Rebecca Dmytryk, who oversees an animal rescue organization in Malibu, recalled other video footage of Treadwell before his death that showed him in a streambed near an older bear he nicknamed "Quincy."

"Quincy, do you remember when you stood over me? You were so hungry, and you should have eaten me, but you didn't. Thanks for not eating me, Quincy," Dmytryk recalled him saying to the bear in the clip. "If Quincy had eaten me, good, 'cause he's a nice bear."

Treadwell's family was in shock over the death.

Dumb and stupid, sheeesh! Thats on hell of a date. I wish some of my dates ended that way.

This guy learned the same lesson that Roy learned - Animals are wild and your not going to change thousands of years of instincts with a few encounters or a few years of domestication. What a horrible way to die.

Wht an idiot!!! That is a clean cut example of how retarded these animal rights people are. I can pet a grizzly bear or crawl amongst a sow and cubs. This moron did not deserve to live yet I wish he would've to see if his opinion changed.
Jason

The biggest trajedy is that they had to kill the bears. Not a lot of sympathy for people that stupid....

I am ashamed to admit that I have the same last name as this clown. Weird, cause it's not a very common name. But hell no, we are not realted. At least I hope not. I'd like to think that I am progeny of a more intelligent gene pool. What a freak! Play with fire and...

I just read an article he wrote, one of his main goals was to protect the Grizzly Bear. In it he stated that they would set up camp and ruin hunts, and basically try and screw the hunter. He felt we would kill them all of and that they would be on the endangered species list soon. I guess he didn't understand game laws, and because of us hunters there are so many Grizzly Bears today. Walking everyday on the edge of a 1000? cliff, you're eventually going to take flight to your death. I guess this put an end to his bear people movement.

Yea
He / his girlfriend get killed.
He stated that he wouldn't stop till no more bears we're killed. Well get this.
They tried to kill him numerous times before. They found him / his girlfriend out by their tent so im figuring they got him outa the tent at night.
When the helicopter was trying to pick them up the bear that was guarding the kill attacked and they killed it. Then when they were getting the remains off the ground another bear, younger attacked and they killed that as well.
So he dies so that no more bears are killed and they kill 2 right over his body.
Ironic.

-Cass

Good point cass, this guy with all his self riteousness was directly responsible for the deaths of more bears than most hunters ever will be.

From what I understand, The bears he was trying to keep from being killed were in a NO HUNTING RESERVE, there for he was trying to keep them from being poached. Other bears in the reserve, in past years have been killed by piece of chit f-ing poachers. He was in no way trying to stop someone from a legal hunt. So props to him for that and only that.

Ya know, it's a sad story. People get the living crap chewed out of them and a couple of bears wind up getting hammered. You just have to wonder what kind of idiots would attempt to do stupid crap like this with very large carnivores. One thing for sure, there is no shortage of stupid people in this world.

Cooter

> From what I understand, The
>bears he was trying to
>keep from being killed were
>in a NO HUNTING RESERVE,
>there for he was trying
>to keep them from being
>poached. Other bears in the
>reserve, in past years have
>been killed by piece of
>chit f-ing poachers. He was
>in no way trying to
>stop someone from a legal
>hunt. So props to him
>for that and only that.
>

He actually wanted ALL bears to have stopped being killed. Blacks / browns / kodiaks / grizzlies. All bears

-Cass

Man, that's too bad about the bears, hope this guy's followers learned their lesson through his death. Too bad about his girlfriend. I agree, I second the nomination for the Darwin Award.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I guess thats what happens when you "hand" feed bears. I heard that the guy and his girlfriend were "going at it" in the tent and the bear thought it sounded like a moose calf in distress and just went in for a little snack. Too bad they had to kill those bears. They would be the perfect things to take to the next big P.E.T.A. rally! I guess its called natural selection. The stupid and weak are eaten by the big and strong.

Eric

ericmoore90203.jpg

fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

Stop all bears from being killed? Everything alive eventually dies. Bears kill other bears. Pretty useful goal.

I hope Steve Irwin (The Crocodile Hunter) and Muley Magician are reading this. Bears, crocs, snakes, they'll all get you if they have the chance.

Just looking out for ya, Muley Magician. ;-)

WH

I dont know but i think that is why animals are called wild they act on instinct not on friendship. What a moron to go and try and live with bears, well one less animal right activist all hunters have to deal with huh...Justin

Surprised the guy had a girlfriend.
He talked like a little fairy to the bears and in interviews.
Bears probably got sick of his pathetic girly talk all the time and munched him.
Heck, I would not be comfortable getting that close to a bear even if I had a 454 strapped to my side.
What are some people thinking?
Best,
Jerry

Not to stomp too hard on stupid dead treehuggers, I read an article that was a little different than the one posted. It explained that this guy was a recovered druggie and had been doing this for about the past 12 years AFTER having a close and tenative encounter with a grizz up there. I guess that was a big challenge to him, to be friends with them. Dang shame they had to kill a couple bears because of this, that's for sure.

So just one more excellent example of drugs doing permanent drain bamage, huh?

Does this answer the question LESS FILLING or TASTE GREAT
TREADWELL OR GIRLFRIEND
AND I DON'T THINK WE ARE BEING TOO HARSH, TREEHUGGERS INTENTIONALLY DO THINGS TO HURT HUNTERS, LOGGERS, AND WHOEVER THEY THINK HURTS THE ENVIRONMENT, WHEN IN REALITY WE ARE THE MOST HELPFUL, AND BESIDES HE DID THIS HIMSELF, GREAT JOB IDIOT FOR GETTING TWO BEARS KILLED FOR NO REASON

One more "stupid" person who won't be able to perpetuate his kind. His stupidity ended with him. He said in one of his specials on T.V. that if he was killed by a grizzly that would be ok becuase he liked them. Well he got his wish!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-03 AT 06:09PM (MST)[p] What a sad story!... My heartfelt ans sorrowful condolences go out to ...............THE BEAR!!!!!!!!
I bet that worthless sack of sh*t tasted just like Tofu!
I watched his film "The Grizzly Diaries" on the Discovery channel. His advice that Grizzlies are just our misunderstood friends sure was good stuff,eh!
My only wish is that the rest of his stinkin'hemp wearin'tofu eatin' bretheren would follow in his Birkenstock tracks!
Good Bye And Good Riddance!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

HunterHarry
Too bad they had to kill those bears. They should have given you a permit to get em. They would look nice with your other ones.
Eric
fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom