Bear Recipes

ruger1022

What’s everyone’s favorite technique for cooking bear? I drew a Utah summer bear tag, and I’m thinking of making a lot of sausages, brats, and cured meat smoked to 165.

I have only killed a couple bears and I eat a lot of game. Never found it to be particularly “gamey” but sure has an interesting texture. I stick to braised shoulder roast recipes, burger for use like any other burger and salami/ sausages etc... Not a fan of any steaks

Gonna Take some Doctoring kinda like in the Video above to Eat that Nasty Bear Meat!

You'll Wear Wear the Grease off the Inside of your Mouth & that'll only take a Week or so!

Have killed two bears and have eaten and enjoyed it for both.

When butchering for the freezer I remove any and all fat and silver skin that I can. That meat is LEAN when ity hits the freezer and never have an off tasting steak, burger, whatever with minimal spices need.

In my experience no need to ’cover’ the flavor and no need to expect greasy meat when cooked.

One was a big boar UT spring bear chased 5 miles with dogs and one was a Colo early Sept boar medium size.

For the Ut bear the fat layer was an inch of more thick and I rendered it to make the sweetest nice flavored lard one could hope for. Truly great to cook with.

Bear steak are just fine to me and I have eaten everything there is to eat in North america.

Photo is a pic of the rendered bear fat while still hot from stove. It whitens up to pure white when cooled. Long shelf life, great in biscuits etc or for frying most anything.

6D53B775-3A2F-4EF3-9C4B-7498D6B15373.jpeg

Have killed two bears and have eaten and enjoyed it for both.

When butchering for the freezer I remove any and all fat and silver skin that I can. That meat is LEAN when ity hits the freezer and never have an off tasting steak, burger, whatever with minimal spices need.

In my experience no need to ’cover’ the flavor and no need to expect greasy meat when cooked.

One was a big boar UT spring bear chased 5 miles with dogs and one was a Colo early Sept boar medium size.

For the Ut bear the fat layer was an inch of more thick and I rendered it to make the sweetest nice flavored lard one could hope for. Truly great to cook with.

Bear steak are just fine to me and I have eaten everything there is to eat in North america.

Photo is a pic of the rendered bear fat while still hot from stove. It whitens up to pure white when cooled. Long shelf life, great in biscuits etc or for frying most anything.

View attachment 6605
That’s awesome, I’m hoping I find a fat bear and can do something like that.

Good luck. I googled it and lots of simple video and written instructions out there to render bear fat into lard. Basically 1 inch fat cubes on low heat for some hours on stove. super easy.

The fact it is renowned for use in biscuits and pastry dough speak to the clean, light flavor of it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom