Beaver Mt. Goat

albubba

I finally drew the early tag on Beaver. I have been MIA on MM for awhile, but I still lurk around. I have been doing research on where to find the goats. I am planning on being there every weekend in August.
I would still like more info if anyone wants to lead me to places to look. I just had knee replacement surgery a year ago but I still get around pretty good.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There is a similar thread in the Utah section on this. Go up to big johns flat and drive north, over the top into bullion canyon. You will find goats along the way! There is a good trail to Delano peak, that you can cover a lot of goat country on, if you want to get out. But if you drive over the top enough times, you will find them pretty close to the road eventually.

Goats aren't too hard to find on the Beaver and many are within short stalking distance from a road. There are some really nice, mature billies in that herd. You'll have a great time in a very beautiful place.

Thank you Blackie6 and DidIDraw.
I have wanted to get down there to do some scouting but life sometimes has other plans. Its been quite a few years since i was last on Beaver. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I don't know too many people that have hunted goats.

Don't be nervous!
Enjoy the journey because the hunt will be here and over far too soon.
You can follow the good advice (always seen them there) and find goats. Getting to them isn't horrible but wait him out and only drop one where you can get to it for the retrieval.
Zeke

I was able to spend sometime on Beaver this past weekend. Mostly above Big John Flat. We did see around 30 goats. It is beautiful up there.

So I have a couple of questions

1- The OHV traffic was crazy. I know that its part of the Paiute trail. Constant from 9am to 6 pm. I assume it will be like that for the Labor day weekend opener. Will it lessen after and does it affect the goats?

2-The wind started up midmorning and was really gusting through evening. I almost lost my hat a couple of times.
Does the wind always blow like that?

Again thanks for the help. I am heading down again next week.
I cant wait for the hunt.

I have hunted Beaver several times for deer (Muzzy and Archery). I wasn't up in goat country, but was near 8K-9K feet elevation mark. My experience was very few windy days. Usually ATV traffic dies out after summer vacation closes. However, with Covid, I have seen ten times the amount of campers and recreators. I guess everyone is heading outdoors cause they aren't willing or can't fly to go on vacations. Not sure how this fall will be with ATV/camping congestion.

Best of luck! I am envious!

The rec riders will die down a bit, but will still be there. The wind will always be there, especially once your on the ridge lines chasing goats. It always seems to be windy over 10k’. Either way though, should a blast. Good luck.

mt goat.jpg

I got my goat.

First off, I want to thank all that gave me advise for the hunt. I appreciate all the info, it helped a ton.
This weekend was the only one that I could get all my family together for the hunt and I told my wife that for the experience to be complete, I needed them all there to share. I am a blessed with four sons and a brother with two that were able to be there with me.
Because they are all putting in for other species, this may be a once in a lifetime goat hunt for all of us.

Thanks again

Way to go!! I shot ma goat a couple of years ago in ID. Super fun hunt. Super hard for me. Now it’s been a couple of years I’m thinking I’m ready to do it again! ?.

Nice work albubba!
Sharing your adventure makes it way more rewarding. And you are right. Few of those smiling faces will ever have that tag in their own pocket, but they can all say they have been on a Billy Goat hunt!
Well done!

Thanks everyone!

I did have one person missing that I wish could have been there.
My dad has been fighting cancer for the last two years. At his last visit his doctor gave him great news, he is in remission. Chemo has taken a lot out of him and he didn't think he could handle the stress of hiking and being at 11,000 feet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom