Beaver unit Deer Herd

I hunted there for three and a half days with my kids on the muzzleloader. We saw three bucks and one of my boys shot a two point. It was his first deer and I've never seen him so excited. We are heading down in the morning for the early Pine Valley rifle hunt. Last year the contrast between the two units was unbelievable, we'll see if it's the same this year. I'm going to stop in Cedar City and sign up for the mentor program.

The first three days of muzzy season was spent on the Southwest desert for a son's pronghorn hunt. We sat on a water tank one evening and watched over 120 horses come in. We also had three blowouts and limped back to Milford with 6 plugs in the best blown tire of the three.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-19 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-19 AT 05:44?PM (MST)

>Southwest Desert is a tire killing
>machine.
>
>No idea how it can damage
>so many tires, but it
>does.

I am still seeing deer on the Beaver, but no doubt it is in a down cycle right now for what ever reason.

I have heard of a small hand full of ok bucks taken so far this year. Seen a pic of a beautiful 200 plus buck a kid got this year with a bow.

This speed goat season in the SWD we had 3 tags,, 2 trucks. Averaged about 150 miles per day per truck. Ended up with 2 flats,, and one truck burned to the ground.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/083yCrjHsSzT2jEFfa6YMK8qw

Wow
Hope you had good insurance on that truck
How did the hunt go.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Belonged to some friends from out of state. Brand new 2019 f-150 4x4.

Those aluminum trucks are highly flammable,, they go up in an instant,,almost nothing left.

It was a rental. Went into Cedar the next morning and they gave them a nice 250 up grade no charge.

Turns out there is a recall that came out on the 2019 150s for catching on fire.

It went up quick, but they were able to get most of their gear out. Lost a gps with 10 years of way point.

Super fun hunt filled all the tags,,which ain?t no big feat on the SWD.

I stayed on the Beaver for a week during the muzzy. We only had one tag and got lucky opening morning. Overall, yes, it does appear to be a down cycle. Just as concerning is I didn't see as many fawns as I have in years past. Having said that, I did see deer and am happy with my experience. So the question is..predators?, habitat?, winter kill?, too many tags?, something else? I don't know the answer, maybe it's a combination of everything.

We set up a trail cam on a crossing and got several pics of coyotes. We also seen multiple over the week. Anyone else seeing a lot of coyotes?

We got checked twice by the DNR. That may bother some, but not me. I am so glad to see them out there working to protect our herd. They took time to explain things to my kids. I was really happy with them.

This may be a long shot, but if the young man that drives a white truck and works for Redman reads this I want to thank him for his consideration when he came upon us. He could have driven right through the area we were in and kept going. Instead, we had a nice chat for a few minutes and he backed out. Around 15 minutes later some deer came through that had a nice little buck that we were able to fill a tag on. Had he just drove by I'm certain it would have changed the deer path. There are good people out there.

And finally, what's the deal with the elk? They sure weren't bugling like they have in years past. Just me or is something up?

So popgear?

Was it a Mature Buck?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-19 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]Popgear, welcome to the site. Good to hear you had a successful hunt.

Thanks for posting.

PS some animals mature sooner than others.?

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-19
>AT 08:16?PM (MST)

>
>Popgear, welcome to the site. Good
>to hear you had a
>successful hunt.
>
>Thanks for posting.
>
>PS some animals mature sooner than
>others.?

Particularly in TARDville,Right cast?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>
>And finally, what's the deal with
>the elk? They sure
>weren't bugling like they have
>in years past. Just
>me or is something up?
>

I have a friend that has a couple friends that have killed nice bulls on the Beaver in the last few years or so. I've seen the pics. They hunt and know the unit well. He told me a few weeks ago that they are having a heck of a time finding any cows. They have been pounding the cows the last 4 years on that unit and I am sure the out of control bear population kills plenty of calves every year as well.

I'm sure your definition is different than mine. For me, it's a non yearling that my kids and I are happy with. Again, that's just me.

How are the Deer numbers looking on the Beaver unit? After 40 years of hunting the Beaver you would think I could find some of those 12,000 deer still said to be roaming on the Beaver unit.

I will give the dwr credit. They are certainly not going to let the landscape reach carrying capacity. Any deer left will have a buffet of feed on the Beaver.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom