Best 338 win mag factory ammo

BigMass

I just won a 338 win mag at a Mule Deer Foundation dinner and wanted to know what was the best factory ammo for it. I was looking at the new Hornady Superformance? SST Rifle Ammo. Anybody have any experience with it?

Sell it and buy a 300 win mag..

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I already have a 300 win mag as my primary rifle. This is a really nice rifle with synthetic stalk, stainless, adjustable trigger, and a muzzle brake you can disengage with a slight twist. I will use it for bear, elk, and moose. I'm not looking for a critique of calibers, there are waaaaaaay too many opinions out there for that, just want to know what people are shooting in them.

I am shooting Winchester 225gr accubonds out of my Tikka T3. shooting 1" groups @ 100yds. Took it to Africa last year and shot 7 animals from Impala,warthog,eland,blue and black wildebeest, and Kudu. One shot on everything exceptad the eland (bad first shot)recovered 4 bullets mushroomed perfectly. This ammo would work great for bear moose.

LAST EDITED ON May-24-10 AT 12:18PM (MST)[p]Savage builds a great rifle anymore. Must be the new weather worrior 116 series... If I were guessing. If not, what make and model is it?

I don't much like SST performance, but I know others that do. They are right on par with Nosler Balistic tips. I can't remember the last time I shot a factory round was, but you can't go wrong with A-frame, Partitions, or Accubonds are what I suggest in 225 grain. Pick a factory and try them out then stick with the one that shoots the best.

Congrats on the prize!

Todd

LAST EDITED ON May-24-10 AT 12:27PM (MST)[p]I have really liked the 225 grain Hornady bullets out of my 338 win. They have really done well on elk, even recovered a bullet that was a quarter away shot. Hit him back on the ribs and the bullet stopped intact right next to his jaw bone on the other side.

But, I have just used the regular interlock bullets they sell in their heavy magnum category at stores, haven't tried the SST ones yet...

Keep the 338 and sell the 300 :)

On another note I do have some federal Premium's that I would sell I just could not get the groups I was after with them out of my gun.

I like the Federal Premium 250 gr Partition, I think they build it in a 210 gr Partition as well. The 250 has worked well on elk! Their 225 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw would be a great performing bullet, but my gun will not shoot them as well as the Partition.

Yes, it is weather warrior 116 series. Sounds like 225 grain is a good way to go. One of the reasons I was interested in the SST's was their price and claim to be comparable to everybody else premium ammo.

BIGMASS.....IN MY .338 WM I SHOOT FEDERAL VITAL SHOCK. FIRST I STARTED WITH THE NOSLER PARTITIONS 250 GRAIN, AND NOW I SHOOT THE 210 GRAIN NP........IT DOES SCREAM....... THAT IS WHAT I STUCK WITH TO DATE.....GREAT LOADS......A BIT WARM THOUGH.........YD.

I SAY ON MY MOOSE & ELK THEY RETAIN 50-60 % OF WEIGHT.....AND HAVE BONE CRUSHING ABILITY. ALSO THE TXS IS A NON TOXIC AND IS GREAT IN MY OTHER CALIBERS, AND I HEAR THE HORNADY MGX IS ALSO UP AND COMMING PILL TO SHOOT...........TD.

I've been shooting the Federal Vital Shock ammo with the 210 gr Partition. Kills everything it hits. I've recently tried the Hornady Superformance 200 gr SST. My rifle seems to like it well enough but I have no on game experience with it. The reason I'm considering a change from the Partition is because I have a need to make some fairly long range shots on elk, up to 700 yards. The down range performance of the SST is superior as far as trajectory and retained energy. If you stay within 400 yards, there is no need to try anything other than the 210 gr Partition as long as your rifle likes it. Sell the 300.

There a lot of companys offering 338 loads with quality bullets these days. Barnes are and a few others ,Just pick one and see how it groups in your gun. You can't go wrong with that 338 it's a killen machine.
If you ever start hand loading ? I have had great luck with the 185 grain Barnes MRX and TSX bullets. Shoots flat and hits hard !
You may find that you are leaving that 300 home and using your 338 for everything . I don't know why so many people are afraid of them. My 16 year old daughter shoots mine:eek: I did put a good recoil pad on mine tho !
Enjoy it :)

I totally agree with BIGJOHNT. I shoot factory loads with Barnes bullets out of my .338 win mag and it is devastating. My wife is small and shoots it no problem. She shot an oryx facing head on and we recovered the bullet in its hindquarter. I did put a Pachmayr Decelerator pad on it though. That made a big difference.
I have some 185 grain TSX bullets loaded for my 338-06 that I can't wait to try on something.

I just bought some barnes 225 gr TTSX and 185 gr TTSX to hand load for my 338. I started shooting the old Winchester Fail Safe bullets, then went to the Hornady Interlock because they were cheaper back then. Both performed very well, animals don't move much once they have been anchored by a 338.

Now, after reading a bunch of positive posts on the barnes bullets, I am going to give them a try via handloading to save a few bucks.

I also agree, the 338 in the right set up can have a very managable kick. Mine kicks the same as my old 270...

OK, I'm getting excited about it now. I will definitely take it to Wyoming this year if I get drawn. I just have to figure out what scope to top it with now.

Is it a Savage 116?

Scope wise, I would put a Leopold X1, X2 or X3 (depending on budget) in 2-7. I have a X1 2-7 on mine and I love it..

Good luck again..

Todd

I will probably throw a scope I already have on it until I figure out what ammo it likes best and then I'm leaning hard toward the
Leupold VX3-3.5-10x50-Custom .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom