Best All Around Archery LE Elk Unit In Utah? (Maturity and Likely Successful)

ZachMikesell

Hey Guys, I am still in predicament, one that I guess I have waited for for a long time as I am guaranteed an elk tag on any LE unit in Utah for next year. It should be a better archery year for Utah as the hunt will end on September 17th. Anyways I have been doing a lot of research and asking around and my head is spinning. I am just wondering your thoughts on which unit would have the best chance at success while also having potential for 350+ bull. Any input would be awesome. Thank you.

San Juan if you have the points. Boulder can be good, but it can also be really tough. Nebo kicked out some monsters this past year as well. Still based on number of bulls and big bulls I would hunt San Juan.

Do you know a particular unit really well? That can be half the battle.

I would take San Juan. For number of 350 bulls, it is great. If your goal is 400 - then other units are in the discussion, but 350 archery, my vote is San Juan. I did the hunt (2012 I think) and EVERY DAY we found a bull that we chased in the 350 category. Day 7 I finally had success - scored 382 I don't think I saw a bull in the 400 plus, but I was thrilled with the hunt and the bull I harvested. Still is archery and need to have a little luck. But that was an amazing hunt.

With the season dates, I'll bet point creep happens. Good luck

I have 18 points so thats why I am stressing and trying to figure out which area to apply for. San Juan is an awesome unit for sure! My only problem is getting down there enough to scout it. I wonder of hunting the closer premium units would allow me more likely success from being able to get to know the units better. If the Oquirrh-Stansbury unit was still good like 15 years ago then I would be golden but all of the best units are central to southern Utah.

Take all your scouting time and put it into hunting time on San Juan. When the rut kicks in all your summer scouting wont be of much value. It's up to you, but I think you would be crazy to not hunt San Juan with your bow and late dates. With that said it could creep and 18 may not guarantee you the tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom