Best Archery LE Elk Unit

ZachMikesell

Which units do you guys think are the best units for bull maturity and success? Asking for a friend.... haha I want to pull the trigger on the points that I have but I am overthinking everything and not wanting to screw up after 18 years of applying!

If you choose the right unit the archery dates won't be a problem.

Low tag numbers and high point "requirements" are the ones.

I still dream of another archery hunt on San Juan. Fairly easy terrain and lots of 350 Class bulls!! Wish I had 18 points to burn!!

The best units take max points And you aren’t there. Do you feel lucky ? Or do you want the best unit you can draw with 18 points. ??

With 18 points, I would start putting in for the unit you want, depending on what you want, instead of just sitting on them.

18 points more than qualifies you for the other 50% remaining tags after the max pool allocation is done...

That would get him in on most bow units. But Bow hunt elk in Utah Sucks. The hunt is to early and usually before the rut. If you get lucky and it cools off and the rut kicks in . But it is different from year to year . Especially with global warming.

+1 BigJoint

When did Just 18 points get him any bow unit??

Maybe we are missing something?

Robb
The last two years guaranteed San Juan archery was 17, Boulder 16, Beaver 17, Pahvant 16. I am hoping it stays the same. For muzzy or rifle you are looking at 23-25 points to draw these units

That would get him in on most bow units. But Bow hunt elk in Utah Sucks. The hunt is to early and usually before the rut. If you get lucky and it cools off and the rut kicks in . But it is different from year to year . Especially with global warming.

It's like that anywhere you hunt the first 15 days of Sept. Every year I've hunted general archery elk in the SJ unit could've shot 360 bulls standing behind the cows I've shot.

Biologically speaking, the rut is the same time every year. It isn’t later and it isn’t earlier depending on weather. It may change patterns but it doesn’t change actual behavior and rutting.
I actually happen to like Utah’s early dates. I do wish it did go later into September. But....elk do elk things no matter the weather.
I do love hearing how they aren’t moving because it’s hot. Kinda funny how they appear on the trail cameras during the day in June and July and August. When it’s hot. But when the hunts on, and it’s hot, they don’t move.
Never been a buyer in that.

Some people complain about the early archery dates, yet some of the biggest bulls in Utah are killed every year because of the early dates. If you want the best archery chance at a giant, do Boulder and call Ryan Carter. You could also look at some mid tier units for rifle or muzzleloader hunts if you want to hunt the rut. There's still some great bulls to be found on the mid units.

Which unit will he not draw with 18 points? I don't see a single archery tag in the state that can't be had for 18 points. Of course there is always the chance that a few high point holders decide they don't want to wait on a rifle tag and jump pools, but last year there was not a single unit that 17 points didn't guarantee a LE archery elk tag. So yes, your 18 points absolutely should be enough to draw whatever tag you want. Should is the key word there, because we never know with tag numbers and what high point holders will do. But you can assume you are safe to draw a tag and go for it.

Another thing people always say about Utah's archery elk hunt is that it sucks. Every year a good number of the best bulls taken off every unit come in the archery hunt. And every year, some of the very best bulls (if not THE very best bulls) killed in the entire state are during the archery hunts. So at least some people would disagree those hunts suck.

Personally, I would go with a unit that you are going to be able to spend a lot of time scouting and hunting. If a unit is too far away, it becomes very difficult to break away and scout. Having such a long season, it's possible you wouldn't plan to stay out the entire season, so that makes far away units difficult as well. At least it would for me.

It also may depend on how you want to hunt. How you hunt some units is very different than others. A lot to factor in besides what is "best," as that gets pretty subjective really quickly.

I agree with Utah having bad archery dates. But there’s definitely some good days to be had before the prime rut dates. Which I personally feel fall for the most part during Utah’s LE rifle elk season. As for the unit............I love Boulder!!

+1 Vanilla

I've already had a couple 'Really Robb any LE Bow Bull with 18 points' and these guys are in the No-Mans land with 19--21 LE Elk points.

Question Zach ~~ do ya bow Spike/cow in any LE unit that ya really know well and have good experience with in?

Some times knowledge and experience are more important than a high demand unit tag......

Enjoy for sure,

Robb

Some people complain about the early archery dates, yet some of the biggest bulls in Utah are killed every year because of the early dates. If you want the best archery chance at a giant, do Boulder and call Ryan Carter. You could also look at some mid tier units for rifle or muzzleloader hunts if you want to hunt the rut. There's still some great bulls to be found on the mid units.

Nah I think he should go to the beaver, Dutton San Juan or Monroe.

You broke my heart when you killed that buck Zach. I had the NR muzzy tag that year and he was number 1 on my list for sure. DOZER

Another thing to consider is the hunts move back next year so it is the absolutely best "latest" archery dates you can have in Utah. If I am looking at it right the hunt will start on Aug 21st - Sept. 17th

Another thing to consider is the hunts move back next year so it is the absolutely best "latest" archery dates you can have in Utah. If I am looking at it right the hunt will start on Aug 21st - Sept. 17th
That is also what I have learned after talking to a division officer. Should be pretty good, definitely better than 5 days earlier like this year

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom