Best back country tent

Muleman1

Very Active Member
Looking to buy a back country light weight tent with stove is like to hear some opinions thanks in advance

I have always used Montana canvas. Lots of room cause I want to be able to stand straight up I always throw tarps over the roof so the snow can slide off. Also the point of tarps is keeping tent dry. Canvas is heavy when wet. I use a 10x14 with 5 foot walls

I use a Sims stove. Folds up. When I use it I always throw a base layer of dirt to get longer lasting life so the bottom doesn't burn out.

I'm assuming your looking for something to throw on your mules?

I know there is better options and easier set up's. Just sharing what I do. I like the long lasting life of my Canvas tent. I don't use silly poles either. Cut my own log for the peak that I tie between 2 trees.

Also another tip if you go Canvas I use a Canvas shop that sews extra protection around the stove pipe area. Even with a spark arrestor still can get micro burn holes.

4 people and a stove will take up every inch of an 8man tipi.
In some areas it is challenging to find a big enough flat spot for these large tents.
If you'd use it for 2 man hunts at times two tents may serve better?
Also being able to stand up is way nice.
I've used the seek outside 8man teepee, kifaru tut 4 man and some smaller floorless stuff.

Seek outside 12 man with their xl stove. Packs real well. Use to do the canvas thing but it was too heavy.

IMG_0823.png

If using horses mules or wheeled transport and want something tough that doesn’t weigh a lot check out snowtrekker canvas tents or Ellis canvas tents. Lightweight top quality canvas. Snowtrekker models come in at under 20 lbs including poles. If packpacking the seek 6 man is probably the best of the lightweight teepees. Fits 3 comfortably with stove. Will fit 4 if you leave gear packs outside under a tarp.

Seek Outside Courthouse is a great tent, 3 people with cots, gear and stove with plenty of room still. . Im sure you can fit 4 with stove and gear as well. I like the wall tent style walls of it compared to the tipi style. Get the biggest stove they have for that one...You can fit an entire courthouse in a pannier with plenty of room to spare, weighs around 15lbs with everything you need for set up.

yeah with a horse go for the big one. ive stayed in a 12 man with 3 other guys and there was lots of room. get the liner too. so warm

What is your intended use? I have never used a stove in my life but I guess it may be ok for late season hunts. The last thing I want to do is deal with gathering, cutting, and stoking a stove with wood. It also is pretty smelly.

My ideal back country tent is more in line with Hilleberg Nallo GT with a massive vestibule for clothes and gear. I often take just the fly and a plastic or Tyveks floor in super nice conditions to shed even more weight and bulk. The Nallo is a 4-season tent that can withstand pretty much any conditions thrown at it.

What is your intended use? I have never used a stove in my life but I guess it may be ok for late season hunts. The last thing I want to do is deal with gathering, cutting, and stoking a stove with wood. It also is pretty smelly.

My ideal back country tent is more in line with Hilleberg Nallo GT with a massive vestibule for clothes and gear. I often take just the fly and a plastic or Tyveks floor in super nice conditions to shed even more weight and bulk. The Nallo is a 4-season tent that can withstand pretty much any conditions thrown at it.
maybe you should read the actual post, and see where he literally asks only about a tent for 4 people with a stove, and then you could just not comment cause your post is pointless and doesnt remotely answer the question that was asked.

maybe you should read the actual post, and see where he literally asks only about a tent for 4 people with a stove, and then you could just not comment cause your post is pointless and doesnt remotely answer the question that was asked.
I did and got the info I need thanks

If somebody who is handy wants to make a better stove than what is currently out there for lightweight titanium I believe it would sell well. Thinking a guy uses some heavier weight titanium or lightweight sheet metal for the slide and dampner areas. Probably would add half a pound in weight but you could actually control heat and get longer burn times. Pretty much all the lightweight titanium stoves out there right now are pretty marginal.

If somebody who is handy wants to make a better stove than what is currently out there for lightweight titanium I believe it would sell well. Thinking a guy uses some heavier weight titanium or lightweight sheet metal for the slide and dampner areas. Probably would add half a pound in weight but you could actually control heat and get longer burn times. Pretty much all the lightweight titanium stoves out there right now are pretty marginal.
I think really guys have an unrealistic expectation of what a little 10x10 cube of a stove is supposed to do. It’s not meant to burn all night. Ive been running see outside stoves for years and they are a game changer if what you’re really doing is back country, bare necessities hunting. Yeah I can get in there and tend it for hours to keep it burning. But really what it’s for is get it going when you get back to camp to warm up, get undressed, go to bed. Get it kicked on about 30 minutes before I want to get out if the sack to get dressed in a warm tent with some warm boots and go hunt.

If you’re needing a stove to sit by all day and night you probably shouldn’t be backpacking in the first place. It’s not supposed to be comfortable back there, just livable

Why have a stove or tent at all then? It’s plenty livable with a tarp and good sleeping bag. If a guy is shelling out 1400 for a tent stove combo I expect quality products. The dampener on the seek stove is a crime against humanity and the slide is worthless. Spend some -30 degree nights using that stove and then get back to me.

Why have a stove or tent at all then? It’s plenty livable with a tarp and good sleeping bag. If a guy is shelling out 1400 for a tent stove combo I expect quality products. The dampener on the seek stove is a crime against humanity and the slide is worthless. Spend some -30 degree nights using that stove and then get back to me.
I’ve spent plenty sub freezing nights in one. If you need a stove going once you’re in your bag you have the wrong bag.

Again, if you have to have a stove running full time you’re probably not cut out for that type of hunting. Stay by your truck so you don’t get hurt

I have the seek outside 8 man. With a stove in there you can get four but you're starting to get tight. Three would be comfortable. Check out Mansfeld tents you might like them. You can have an open fire in their tipis.
1000006136.jpg

I've had good luck with my winner well so far very simple

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom